1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd have him over Dier everyday of the week from what I've seen..

*, even Jake Livermore was getting some shot last year..

Just playing it down. He'll have known if he had a real shot at playing for England he was choosing them from the off..

I suspect most are the same and know what they'd do but don't say incase they aren't good enough..

2. clonbhoy

It isn't, I can assure you. Players eligible for one or more countries are allowed one switch, once the paperwork is completed so is the switch.

3. clonbhoy

It is probably easy if you only have one nationality, I have no idea what it is like to have two. I imagine both countries are in his heart and having to choose between them wasn't easy.

4. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was easy enough when he was getting picked for Ireland underage.

5. clonbhoy

Because he didn't have a decision to make, he simply went with whoever picked him. He has two nationalities, one nation picked him the other didn't.

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    And when he had a decision to make it was shown where his heart really was. He clearly has a preference to England so shouldn’t have played for us, especially at senior level but any level at all really.

He should never have played for us if he didn’t think he would be committed in this scenario, but I suppose that’s the way international football and football in general is going.

I also think there has to be stricter rules against the likes of this happening. If you represent a country from under 18’s onwards you should be committed to that country.

Marie likes this.
  7. clonbhoy

When he played for us he was very committed, he was forced into a choice and he made it. In all likelihood, he probably made his decision based on what was best for his career. Head over heart.

We have had plenty players play underage for other nation's underage teams. I don't think we should be tying people down to one country at such a young age when more and more people have strong connections to more than one country. That is exactly why the rules changed in the first place.
    We will most likely benefit from it down the line. It is frustrating now as our squad is *, but that's the way it goes.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I take your point but I will never agree with choosing the country you want to play for with your head over your heart.

Also, I think 17/18 is well old enough to have decided which country you want to represent. Even at under 15’s it shouldn’t be that much of a choice.

Marie likes this.
  9. clonbhoy

If your heart is split, use your head. That seems to have been the case here.

But why tie them? Why deny a player an international career because of what may only be a sleight preference at 16/17.
    It is a huge choice! The problem is people can't empathise with people who have only one nationality. Look at Ryan Johansson of Bayern who recently committed to us. He was eligible for three nations and has, after dabbling with all three, in one way or another, chosen us.

I honestly think that a lot of the problem comes from Irish people seeing Irish and English as incompatible identities. If Rice was having to choose between Ireland and any other country there wouldn't be half the outcry. To Rice the two identities are just part of him. They are the two sides of his family. It probably felt like a choice between Nana Rice and Nana Smith.
    Sure, we would be annoyed at losing a quality player, but a lot of the anger seems to stem from the fact that he kissed the Irish crest and all that bollocks and then chose England.
    If it was Belgium people wouldn't be as upset.

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    If it was Belgium he wouldn't be anywhere near the team :fear:

Saul Goodman and clonbhoy like this.
  11. clonbhoy

Fair point! A bad example!

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    See where you’re coming from.

He’ll be nothing but a Brit * to me from here on in though. :celt_2:

13. Nasser

So much for "building a team around him" I thought that was vomit inducing when I heard that, and it's even more so now he's * off to play for England. He will be kissing the 3 lions in no time like it never happened. They need to do something about this now as it's going to happen a lot and England are going tap up players more now they've had success getting this lad to play for them.

14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I'd probably be more bothered if i'd ever seen the * play or even knew what he looked like.

At the end of the day it's his choice. Bit silly how it's turned into such a soap opera but.

15. Darnok

The Rice situation is beautifully ironic because it is usually Ireland stealing English and Scottish players.

16. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    In better news, just saw that 19 year old Ryan Nolan has been included in Inter Milan’s 19 match squad for their Europa League game tonight away to Rapid Vienna.

Promising stuff. Probably learned a lot more abroad than he will have done playing youth football over here.

17. Irish Republic

If we stole these players than why weren't the police called ?

Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Trolling pish.

clonbhoy and Gabriel like this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  20. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Whatever about the badgekissers at club level,to kiss the badge of a country and reveal you went out of your way to learn its national anthem so as to sing it then turnaround and say you heart wasnt really in it reveals a John Terry like character

Marie, StPauli1916 and Saul Goodman like this.