1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Is that the small batch Elijah Craig? There doesn't seem to be much price difference between that and the four roses here. I might well give one of them a try when I next look to get some, but I have just spent a couple of hundred on whisky in the last couple of days, so I may see if someone well get me one for Christmas.

obafgkmlt likes this.
  2. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I think that's what it's under now. Used to be Elijah Craig 12 until a few years ago, then they removed the age statement. The whiskey boom hurts...

3. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yeah, there has been a raft of new no age statement whiskies to keep up with demand and there has been a marked increase in prices here as well.

It also just struck me I think we have only ever really crossed paths here and in that bonkers flat earth thread, I'm not sure what that says about us!

obafgkmlt likes this.
  4. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    On the matter of wood used for bourbon, you'd probably be interested in this one I got as a gift a year or so ago. Still oak, but differently treated staves to influence the taste. Great stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lupis likes this.
  5. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That does sound interesting. Cask strength as well. I note it calls itself whisky rather than whiskey. Isn't that odd for a bourbon? I did a quick google search and it looks like it is exclusive to Harvey Nichols at £75 a pop. Closest one of those is Edinburgh, and I hate going to Edinburgh. While it would be interesting to try, I would probably go for the four roses you mentioned first, as it is cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

obafgkmlt likes this.
  6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Think I may have a dram of this tonight to celebrate an away win in Europe:
    [​IMG]
    It's the anniversary edition I have, from what I have heard it sounds like the 2018 version isn't as good unfortunately.

7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I feel this thread has gone far too long without any whisk(e)y mentions. Anyone bought anything good recently, or get anything for Christmas worthy of note?

A few I've got recently include Deanston 18, Tamdhu 12, Laphroaig Lore, plus a couple of bourbons to keep @obafgkmlt happy! :60:

Went for Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve because, well, they were £20, so not a great loss if I wasn't a fan. Prefer the Buffalo Trace, the Woodford Reserve has an odd combination of bubblegum and hardwood notes which I find weird, but it might just need a wee while to open up with some air in the bottle. I do want to try the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, as I've been hearing a lot of good things about it, but at £130 over here I think I will need to pass.

obafgkmlt likes this.
  8. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    £130 for EC Barrel Proof is bruuutal. $60 here, and yes, it's good.

Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite distiller here, but they're disappearing off the shelves. It's really weird, the whole Weller line is so scarce that you need to ask individual stores if they're hiding it in the back with a 1 bottle per customer policy or something. But the Wellers are imo the best bang-for-your-buck bourbons out there, if you can find them.

Lupis likes this.
  9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Is the scarcity of BT anything to do with the storage facility fire i heard about. Can't remember which distillery it was for, it was just something I heard in passing.

10. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Hmm I don't remember hearing about a fire at BT. I've heard two broad theories: they didn't anticipate the hipsters and the whiskey boom that happened in America and are replenishing stock, or they're aware of the boom (especially for wheats like the Weller line) and are driving up demand by putting little out. I'm thinking it's the latter, but either way, hope they come back soon. Old Weller Antique is a stunning whiskey for $26.

Lupis likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It wasn't a fire, it was a warehouse collapsed, I got mixed up as it was the firechief that made a statement so I assumed a fire had caused the collapse, not a structural failure. It was Barton 1792 apparently, though I haven't heard of them.

obafgkmlt likes this.
  12. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Favourite whiskey is Jameson, had different brands of Scotch over the years and enjoyed a good few, same with JD, but I just love Jameson’s for its smooth taste so for me it can’t be beat.

Lupis likes this.
  13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Good stuff, I've never had an Irish whiskey, but I hear good things about a lot of them, Redbreast 12 and Green Spot etc. I'm spending enough on scotch at the moment as it is though, I can't afford to get sidetracked again!

14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I pulled the trigger and went and ordered a bottle of the Teapot Dram from Glengoyne, it's a distillery exclusive bottling. Looking forward to trying it out soon.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I was lucky enough to try the Glengoyne 21 a few years ago, one of the best i've ever tasted, superb dram.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I shall be trying that very one at the distillery tour soon.

17. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Not done a distillery tour come to think of it. Usually pass the Dalmore on the way to my partners home town. Tried to nip into Talisker when we were up that neck of the woods last and missed the last tour.

Need to get something organised!

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Dalmore is a very expensive whisky, tried the 18 a couple of years back, very nice.

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Dalmore quality has taken a real dip over the last few years. Most of them aren't worth anything like the asking price these days. They used to be one of my favourites as well.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Glengoyne is one of the tours Ive done and their tasting tour is well worth the money imo.