1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Bain

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Jan 31, 2018.

Discuss Scott Bain in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    His distribution is tremendous.

So many passes went back to him which, if it were Gordon, would have been shanked out the park by his big bannany feet.

Idioteque, bagforlife, HTG and 9 others like this.
  2. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    He had to launch a couple today but were pinpoint to the players, Gordon must be sitting on the bench thinking how am I getting my place back?

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Keano88

[​IMG]
    19 games.
    18 wins.
    1 draw.

14 clean sheets. ​

4. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Love him

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Misplaced one for the first time in week's it felt first half :56:

So good..

Tommy25, Rydo1888*, JC Anton and 2 others like this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Must be our first ever playmaker Keeper.

Tommy25 likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Sure we got a shy out of it though :56:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  8. Cmcgregor90

Has to be in first spot by now

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT BAIN, SCOTT BAIN
    THE KEEPER OF THE CELTIC

(To the tune of Scott Brown, The Leader of the Celtic)

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    SCOTT BAIN SCOTT BAIN
    CLEAN SHEET EXTRAORDINAIRE

(To the time of Scott Brown, The Leader of the Celtic, lines 3 and 4)

Tommy25, bagforlife, A.M and 4 others like this.
  11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I wonder if BR will play Gordon in the Cup games now..

It’s only fair after all..:fear:

12. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Johnny mac and the boys would like a word with you two.....

Tommy25 and bagforlife like this.
  13. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Scott Bain lost his virginity before his Da

14. Celtic Bhoy 94

Should be playing behind the striker until Rogic is fit

Tommy25, Twisty, rkid and 4 others like this.
  15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * that’s genius Sean. Remembering the words could be tricky.

_DannyBhoy_ and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It's no the Cypress Hill classic "Insane in the Scott Bain"

JML67, packybhoy, 67MB and 1 other person like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott Bain has only made 12 appearances for Celtic this season, but he has started his club's last six games. Has Brendan Rodgers' anointed him first-choice goalkeeper?

Although rival Craig Gordon has enjoyed a successful stint at Celtic, he has at times seemed at odds with Rodgers' style of football - an area in which Bain has since thrived whenever offered the opportunity.

So if Bain has been promoted, what makes him a better option between the posts? BBC Scotland assess the numbers to try and find out.

A new type of goalkeeper
    The perceived wisdom seems to be that Bain is Rodgers' preferred stopper because he's better with the ball at his feet. And as far as the stats are concerned that certainly seems to be the case.

Bain and Gordon have an almost identical average of passes per 90 minutes (22.41 and 21.89 respectively) but while Bain's accuracy stands at an impressive 96.5%, Gordon's takes a notable dip to 86.2%. And things only get worse for the senior goalkeeper when we dive even further into both player's passing stats.

Gordon currently averages 6.92 long passes per match, which is almost three times greater than Bain's average of 2.34. Yet what is perhaps most telling is that Gordon's accuracy with said punts up the park stands at just 62%, while Bain tends to find his preferred target 81.2% of the time.

A similar trend comes to the fore when we look at both players' forward passing. While Gordon, again, attempts far more than Bain per match (12.31 to 9.78 respectively) the accuracy of his passing stands at 78%. Bain, on the other hand, completes 94% of his.

Essentially, Gordon and Bain make a similar number of passes per game but the former tends to focus on longer, less accurate passes while Bain seems more interested in shorter passes that tend to reach their target with far more regularity.

Old-fashioned shot-stopping
    When it comes to the more traditional aspects of a goalkeeper's job there is much less to choose between the Celtic duo.

Although Gordon is perhaps best regarded as a great saver of shots, Bain tends to save more on average per match.

The younger goalkeeper currently saves an average of 95% of shots fired towards him each game, compared to Gordon's 73%.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
    On the other hand, Gordon is the better of the two goalkeepers when it comes to dominating in the air. Despite only being four inches taller, he wins 89% of aerial duels in the Celtic box, compared to Bain's 67%.

He understands the game'
    Rodgers himself says Bain fulfils his bread-and-butter goalkeeper duties while also possessing a "wonderful view of the game".

"He understands when it needs speeding up, when it needs controlling. And for my teams throughout my life that's how I've always had it," the Celtic manager said after Wednesday's 2-0 win over Hibernian.

"The goalkeepers don't need to be 6ft 4ins or 6ft 5ins as long as they've got good agility, can make saves and then they can participate in the game when we have the ball.

"You see in a game like tonight, Hibs are playing with two front players and they want to press with a number 10 in behind, you then need a goalkeeper who can stay calm and pick out the lines of pass that we would want him to.

"He misplaced one pass - which was the first one and he knows he should have had a touch - but apart from that he was immaculate. He's very, very good."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47187256

Tommy25 and Marty McFly like this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Familiarity breeds contentment? The only figure bigger than the number of penalties Rangers have been awarded recently is the times Celtic have played St Johnstone. Well, it’s perhaps not that many.

“As long as we keep winning, I’m happy to play them all the time,” said Scott Bain with a smile ahead of the third meeting between the teams in the space of a fortnight in the William Hill Scottish Cup today.

Bain has every reason to be cheerful, of course. Since assuming the role of Celtic’s first choice keeper at the turn of the year, he has played six games in 2019 and is yet to concede a goal.

With more clean sheets than the back court of a tenement on a good drying day, the 27-year-old has made the No 1 spot his own.

Shut outs don’t come easily, mind you, and Bain’s time as understudy to Gordon involved plenty of eye-opening observations.

“The biggest thing was watching the concentration needed to be a Celtic goalkeeper,” he said. “It’s hard. People probably think from the outside that being a goalkeeper here is one of the easiest job in the game but I can tell you it isn’t. The concentration levels needed are so high.

“You can go through a game with nothing to do then get called on once. And if you make a mistake, the fans are there to get on you. You can’t let your mind drift. I always try and stay connected to the back four. You’ll see I try to play quite high up so I can be with them at all points.”

Being comfortable with the ball in his hands is a must for any goalkeeper worth his salt. The Celtic approach demands that any custodian is handy with the feet too.

He is not quite in the El Loco mould of a wandering Rene Higuita but Bain is getting used to playing it out from the back.

“It’s a big part of our game,” he added. “The boys here make it really easy to play from the back because you know you can trust them to take the ball in a tight area. They move into position quickly and help you make quick decisions.

We tried it a little bit when I was at Dundee but not to the standard we do here, and it was a bit over-complicated at times. Here we have it down to a good system. We [the goalkeepers] join in with possession and passing most days in training. The goalkeepers here can handle themselves to the standard required.

“It took a wee while to adjust to the pace and pressing of the players, but we can all hold our own and look after the ball.”

Bain was almost drip-fed into the Celtic team with a cup game here and the odd appearance there after arriving from Dundee.

A run of games is something of a new ball game for him and, in that sense, it is perhaps unsurprising that the old cliche, “one game at a time”, is a Bain staple.

“Every time I’ve ever played here I’ve taken it a game at a time, it’s the way I’ve been fed in to the team,” he said. “There was no choice but to take it one game at a time, and that’s stood me in pretty good stead.

“I don’t really look at the way things are as in No 1 or No 2 or whatever. If I’ve got the opportunity to play, I make sure I’m ready. It’s good to know that if my standard is not high enough then Craig is waiting to come back in. That pushes you on.”

And what about an outing on the European stage against Valencia this week? Inevitably, it is that one game at time approach again.

“I’ve not really thought about getting a game in Europe yet because the game on Sunday’s such a big game in the season for us in terms of trying to win another Cup,” said Bain.

Once I get that out the way I’ll have a wee think about what it’ll be like to play Valencia.”

20. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

Best attacking midfielder at the club

Marty McFly likes this.