1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Manny Perez and Andrew Gutman join Celtic with eye to the future

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 31, 2019.

Discuss Manny Perez and Andrew Gutman join Celtic with eye to the future in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC are delighted to confirm the club has signed young American players Andrew Gutman and Manny Perez on three-and-a-half-year contracts.

Manny (above left) has represented USA at Under-20 level and has been named Player of the Year in the USA Soccer Development Academy. Andrew (above in the Hoops) is the most recent recipient of the Hermann Trophy in America, one of the most prestigious awards for young players in the USA.

Both players will continue their development through loan moves back in the USA. We welcome Manny and Andrew to the club and look forward to both players joining up with Celtic in the future.

Manny said: “It is a huge honour to sign with Celtic FC, one of the biggest clubs in football. From my time visiting Glasgow, it was clear to see the scale, the spirit and the professionalism of the club.

"I am happy to be a part of Celtic and during this next period I will be working hard at my loan club in the USA to continue my development. I look forward to joining up with Celtic in the near future."

Andrew said: “When I realised Celtic FC wanted to sign me permanently, I was really honoured. I know Celtic is a huge name in football, they have tremendous supporters and it is a club where I believe I can flourish as a player.

"For the immediate period I will be focusing on my loan in America where I look forward to playing as many matches as I can. After that, I can’t wait to join Celtic and be part of such a storied institution.”

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Looking forward to getting a look at Perez in the summer..

3. Keano88

Finally ffs.

Welcome lads :shamrock:

More excited by the Perez lad as well.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Happy with this.

But leaving it til tonight to confirm is just a * * take. We always do it these days. Players we have known for a while who will be Celtic players and confirm them on deadline day at night.

5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Welcome Bhoys :50:

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Hello and goodbye. Hopefully we will see them at some stage, during their development, in Scotland.

7. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Thought both deals were dead.

As was the aim of the board.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. shaun.f

this was done weeks ago. celtic taking the *.

10. Eazey

Genuinely hate when we do this. Sign people then shift them on loan.
    Its like buying a new car but goin, nah * it. Ill no drove it hame. Ill pick it up later. My old yeen is fine the noo.

Tommy25 and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Genuinely could be that it takes time to get all the details of a contract sorted.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t think we do it enough, sometimes get people in and just let them rot. Get them to keep improving and get them in when we’re ready. We need to get promising players earlier these days, before they’re quite ready for us. That’s when we’ll be competing with others.

It’s how we lost out on Benkovic.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Who else have we done it with, I can’t think?

Artorias likes this.
  14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

So we had him on trial been in contact for weeks but it took the til 6pm on the last day of the window to get it over the line? I don’t think so. :56:

Tommy25 and AwesomeCaz like this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Do you think that isn't plausible?

Anyway, why does it matter?

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

This is the way of modern football, we can’t just refuse to conform because people don’t like loans or loaning players.

If it’s good enough for Barca, Madrid and PSG then it’s good enough for Celtic.

I think Perez has a shot, Gutman not so much but regardless he’ll be our player and should have some resale value down the line.

Random Review and Liam Scales like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Gutman was AWOL cos he was celebrating the deal with a week long bender.

19. James Gold Member Gold Member

I smell deadwood

Lilac Wine and freitassen like this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GUTMAN LATEST RECIPIENT OF MAC HERMANN TROPHY AS TOP COLLEGE SOCCER PLAYER
    NASHVILLE (January 31, 2019) – Nashville Soccer Club has acquired Celtic F.C. defender Andrew Gutman on loan for the 2019 USL Championship season, pending league and federation approval. Gutman recently signed with Celtic, the top team in the Scottish Premiership, after a hugely successful college soccer career at Indiana University that saw him recently awarded the MAC Hermann Trophy as the top player in men’s collegiate soccer in 2018.

“Andrew has demonstrated the ability to excel on both sides of the ball, and at a high standard,” said Nashville SC VP of soccer operations and technical director Mike Jacobs. “We are excited about being able to add him to our group here.”

Gutman, 22, played four seasons at Indiana and racked up numerous honors throughout his collegiate career. He missed just one game at Indiana throughout his career, playing in 90 of 91 games between 2015-2018. Gutman led the Hoosiers to four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, including the National Championship game in 2017. As a defender, he scored 20 goals and had 17 assists in four years, including 11 goals and nine assists as a senior in 2018. In addition to winning the Hermann Trophy in 2018, Gutman was named TopDrawerSoccer.com’s National Player of the Year and a First Team All-American by the United Soccer Coaches.

“Once I heard about this opportunity, I was super excited,” said Gutman. “Nashville is a great city, and they have built a very strong team. I am ready meet the guys, get to work and am excited to contribute in any way possible to this club. I want to thank Celtic F.C. for giving me the chance to grow as a player in Nashville. To the Nashville SC fans, I cannot wait to meet you and play in front of the best fans in the nation.”

Since finishing his college eligibility, Gutman has been playing in Scotland. He trialed with Rangers F.C. of the Premiership before trailing and signing with Celtic. Classified as a Homegrown Player for the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer, Gutman played in the Chicago Fire’s youth academy throughout high school.

Player Release Bio
    Name: Andrew Gutman
    Position: Defender
    Height: 6’0”
    Weight 170
    Date of Birth: October 2, 1996
    Hometown: Hinsdale, Ill.
    Citizenship: U.S.A.
    Last Club: Celtic F.C.
    How Acquired: Loan on January 31, 2019
    https://www.nashvillesc.com/news_article/show/990435