1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James Forrest

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss James Forrest in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AT 27-years-old and with 15 major winners’ medals pocketed, James Forrest is just about the most experienced players in the Celtic dressing room.

But he doesn’t want to be the number one senior guy. Not yet.

That’s what would happen if Scott Brown, with 17 medals sitting on his cabinet, left in the summer, which is an incredible thought given that the ridiculously boyish Forrest still looks about 12 even after 315 games and nine years since his debut.

The guests of the Dubai hotel Celtic are staying in who don’t know what a Celtic is may well have wondered why some media people were interviewing Forrest without his parents being there.

And yet, this is one of the club’s most decorated players of all time, a footballer who has blossomed into one of Brendan Rodgers’s go-to men, a dynamic winger who surely now must start every game for his country.

However, for all that, Forrest would rather it was his captain, and not him, who remained father of the house. For a few years more at least.

Forrest said: “Everyone has their opinions about Scott but inside the club, the players and staff know how influential he is on and off the park.

"Right since I came through he has always been the same and even now he could well be the fittest he has ever been. It’s incredible how long he has done it and he still has a few years left in him

Broony has always been in and about the place every day. I think he likes players first and foremost, especially those who work hard and give it everything.

"You earn his respect for doing that and obviously when you go out on to the park you have to produce as well. Everyone at the club knows just how big an influence he is and definitely everyone wants him to stay.

“Everyone who knows him knows he wants to play in every game and he has done since he came here. I can only say for me I hope he stays because he has a lot to offer for the team and, as I said on, and off the park.”

Brown has over 500 games as a Celt, a club he joined in 2007, which can seem like a lifetime ago. He’s 34 in the summer, he won’t go on forever and the temptation of a life in Australian or the United States must be appealing.

And it won’t just be a player Celtic lose when the skipper finally does say his goodbyes.

Forrest said: “Ever since I have been here there have been different changing rooms and he has always been there, he's kept everyone together.

"You maybe hear different stories from different teams and how they work but Broony is massive in that part as well that people maybe don’t see.

“For me, he has always been the captain, the main man, and if he did leave for me it definitely would be strange. He’s great with young boys and new signings as well. He’s invaluable I would say.

"The manager has come out and said he’s earned the respect to make his mind up. It’s a big decision and one he’s not going to make overnight. Whatever he does everyone will back him.

“Everyone knows he has been linked with a move over the past six months but, as I said, it’s up to him but I hope he doesn't go.”

Forrest admits he has never met anyone else like his team-mate, a man for whom sleeping is something he has to endure before attacking the day with the energy of a child high on sweets and fizzy drinks.

Forrest said: “He’s a one-off. I have said before he’s great with the young boys, and with the different nationalities as well, which I don’t think many people have got even when you go into the international set-up as well he just earns respect from everyone and that’s just credit to his nature. Off the park as well I think everyone respects him.

Broony wants to play every game, every minute. When he got injured there he came back and when you see him in training he is as fit as ever so I think he knows himself that he can still do it for another couple of years and for a player like that we definitely need him in the team.”

Celtic will be back to league business soon enough and are anxious to put that day at Ibrox behind them. New signings have been made, which the squad needed and there has been more than one conversation behind closed doors between the group about that performance against Rangers not being allowed to happen again.

Forrest said: “We know we did not do what we could against Rangers. You can say we did not turn up, didn’t create the chances going forward or defend well as a team. Overall the result was probably fair, we weren’tat our best.

“It’s not just against Rangers but if you are not at your best against a few teams you are not going to get the result you want. We need to make sure we rectify that going forward.

“I’ve said a couple of times now that the league is much stronger, there’s a few teams that have reallyimproved, you can see how tight it is as well. I think once we go back for the second half of the season it is going to be tough and we know we need to maybe do a bit more to make sure we do what we want.”

And with that, Forrest is off. Thinking of medal number 16, one more year with his captain and when he’ll be allowed to build sandcastles on the beach. Probably.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Liverpool in for our Jamesy bhoy

3. shaun.f

lot o pish paper talk.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Keano88

They’d need to double that at least.

6. Jeremie Frimpong

They got double that for Jordon Ibe, mate. They can stick a zero on the end.

Keano88 likes this.
  7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Jamesey is happy at Celtic and is part of the furniture. He's one of our best players if not our best player, they can * off unless they start at £25 million. £8 million what an absolute * joke.

8. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Why are we hoping for £25 mil ?

Just so Lawwell and his cohorts can line their pockets.

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

25m? Nah how about just * off?

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. stew37

It's the Sun anyway so it's pish.

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Keano88

Sad to see him go.

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Wasn't hoopsmanbrian on here years ago, when he was chased out after getting rumour after rumour wrong :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully spend the money we get for James.

16. Keano88

Heard Lawwell was looking at yachts this afternoon.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good stuff.

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    With heated decking and disco lights.....

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The "1 James Forrest" song was never gonna be enough to keep him..

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    One of the best huffs I’ve seen on here

HTG likes this.