1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Card fraud

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by TimFloyd, Jan 14, 2019.

Discuss Card fraud in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

Happened to anyone here? and anyone know how it works?

I used my card for chip and pin in Starbucks at Don Meung airport in Bangkok yesterday (no idea why I used it as I had money on me)

Anyway sitting in a bar last night and I gets an email from my bank saying I have exceeded my credit limit, so checked my banking app and a payment of £4.29 was made at some mall in Bangkok then a rake of payments to johnlewis online pretty much maxing out my account.

Finally spoke to the fraud dept at my bank and they said the payments to johnlewis were made from Manchester, luckily Johnlewis has recognised something iffy and reversed some of the transactions and the fraud dept have said ill be fully refunded in 3 days, doesn’t really help that my card that I use out here in Thailand for hotels/money etc is now useless.

Anyway how does something like this happen? Is some wee guy sitting on a laptop in Starbucks intercepting the wireless network getting the details of chip and pin then selling the info online? Or is the wee * behind the counter in on it?

First time it’s ever happened to me will be more careful from now on as you wouldn’t think twice about it happening in an airport Starbucks.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    neilly1987 likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I may be naive, but I always had the thinking when your card got copied/details used it tends to be weeks down the line.

Was always under the impression from the moment they took your details, they tend not to use it straight away.

You sure it is only the airport Starbucks?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

3. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Happened to me recently mate, but to my knowledge I hadn't paid for anything by chip and pin so must have been some sort of device attached to an ATM or something?
    No idea how they do it, but just phoned the bank and they asked which transactions were iffy and managed to pinpoint where and when and what kind of device they were made by and refunded me the money.
    Pain in the * having to cancel my card etc, obviously moreso in your case at the moment.

4. TimFloyd Gold Member

Positive, Starbucks is the only place so far I have psychically used this card and also the first fraud payment was £4.29 in the mall skyport (a mall inside the departure building I was in)

Peej likes this.
  5. TimFloyd Gold Member

That’s what I’m thinking, unfortunately I can’t get back to that Starbucks at the airport when I fly back in a few days as it was in the departures.

Going to chin security though at the airport for them to check it out.

neilly1987 likes this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I always assumed chip n pin machines where awrite. Your always looking at your card and your no swipping the entire card. It was when they take the card and swipe it you get done. You not used it in a hotel for the room?

I got done in America after being hammered and ordering a tray of 80 shots :56: gave herself a $50 tip and cloned my card. Doesn't change the fact she was hot tho. Worth it. Got everything cancelled and refunded bar the shots and over the top tip. Took some of those shots from her * tho so who cares :56:

7. celtic warrior

I would be leaning towards it being cloned earlier, though I know most credit cards are generally quicker in showing transactions.

Have you ever used the card online?, ever used it in store and staff appear to walk away with it or turn their back on you, an atm?.

There is a crazy amount of ways nowadays were a card can get copied.

It's interesting as well that if the card was copied in Thailand was then used in Manchester.

8. TimFloyd Gold Member

Every cloud and that! Lol

Nope only place I used the card was there and for my bookings on Agoda.

I think it was cloned there and then as the payment made in the mall in the airport looks like the person who has done it has tried it out then with payments made in Manchester then maybe my details have been sold on the darkweb or some *.

9. celtic warrior

Entirely likely, good thing is any decent fraud team should be able to see the evidence of the dodgy transactions, especially when given the evidence. In these cases a detailed IP address search is a great indicator.

And if the transactions were done in a card not present environment the lack of 3DS (that visa/mastercard page that pops up when finalising an online payment) done generally works in your favour.

10. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    I had my credit card done once and my bank card twice. The credit card showed up when i was in florida. Got a call from the fraud team asking if i had just bought a £10 phone top up in London? Apparently this is what they do, once they have your details. Buy something small to make sure it's working before hammering your card. They got suspicious cause I had told them I would be in Florida on the date.

Funny thing about my bank card was, it was the wife's details they had. Again I was on holiday when I got the call. Stranger yet, she never used the card at all. Never does really even now. I pay for everything through my card if we're out shopping etc. So * knows how they got her details.

11. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    A win win for you then.

12. celtic warrior

It only takes one, there are loads of ways of getting someone's details.

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Good times. I even mind the days my wife would talk to me :56:

bagforlife likes this.
  14. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Is it a contactless? Apparently * can skim you're card through your pocket nowadays cause of that.

Marie likes this.
  15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    A wise idea now is to get RFID shield sleeves for your cards.

Marie and Callum McGregor like this.
  16. TimFloyd Gold Member

Does anyone not have a contactless card these days?

Funnily enough my Mum bought me one of them, more a wallet type thing before I went.

17. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You can get wallets with it built into them. I got one for Stephen for his Christmas, think it was from M&S.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  18. Mr. Slippyfist

[​IMG]

bagforlife and Marie like this.
  19. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :101:

20. Jeremie Frimpong

@TimFloyd Send me your bank details, and I will wire you the monies directly.

FBC586DE-A498-408E-8902-4D2A64E01E12.jpeg

bagforlife, Seán Mac D and Marie like this.