1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Burke

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 5, 2019.

Discuss Oliver Burke in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Oliver Burke insists a loan move to Celtic was a no-brainer after Brendan Rodgers promised to revive his flagging career.

The Scotland winger became the first signing of the January window for the Parkhead club after putting pen to paper on a six-month deal.

And PSG striker Timothy Weah quickly became the second after he, too, joined Celtic on loan until the end of the season.

Sportsmail understands Ivory Coast striker Vakoun Issouf Bayo is also poised to complete a £2million move, subject to the granting of a work permit.

Signed for transfer fees totalling £28m in the last two years, 21-year-old Burke has struggled to secure first-team starts at West Brom and believes Rodgers can help him return to form.

'I was looking to go out on loan and get a club which could really develop me and play as many games as I can,' he said.

'I spoke to the gaffer Brendan and, instantly, he had a massive influence on me coming here. It's a superb opportunity, and being out at the training camp is a real bonus as I will get to know the team and get used to the environment at Celtic, so it was a no-brainer for me.

'As soon as I found out about Celtic's interest, I was really buzzing. I had options but the only choice in my head was Celtic. It's a real privilege to be here and I'm looking forward to playing.

This is something I had to take on straight away. I had a chat with the manager and I had no hesitation.

'I know I can develop under him. He's proven he can improve players. I'll give 100 per cent and I don't see why this move can't further my career. It will make it better.'

Burke flew straight to the United Arab Emirates to join the Celtic squad as soon as a loan was tied up on Saturday morning.

'It's an exciting time,' added the former RB Leipzig star. 'I'm happy to be here and excited to now kick on.

'I had my first training session today and really enjoyed it. I know a lot of the boys already, which helps. They are a great bunch of lads.

That makes it easier to come in. I know more than a few faces, so it was nice to see them again. I'm just delighted to be here.

'I've been dropping in and out of teams, so I want to get back to my Nottingham Forest days, when was when I was at my best.

'I need to be learning and I feel I'm under the right manager now to learn every day and get the best out of me. I believe Brendan can do that.

'He's very famous for it - and I'm ready to work and push on.'

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THAT Oliver Burke wore a full Celtic kit as a youngster despite beginning his football journey at a team called Rangers should help to endear him to his new supporters.

This is no badge kissing story. Burke can’t pretend he grew up knowing the names of the Lisbon Lions. He wasn’t even a fan. He just really enjoyed wearing green and white hoops when he had a kickabout with his mates.

He can do it for real now.

Ironically, when his football talent was first spotted when he was eight, Burke was with his local team, Melton Mowbray Rangers, and they only had him for a season before Nottingham Forest made sure this fast and exciting winger was joining them.

An awful lot has happened since to Burke who spoke with honesty yesterday in the foyer of Celtic’s plush hotel in Dubai about the past few years from when he was the most talked about teenager in British football to someone many would have lost track with.

The RB Leipzig £13m move made him a household name, at least for a while, but this game has a habit of bringing even the best back down to earth with a bump. Burke has more bruises than most 21-year-olds.

Still, he was all smiles after his first training session with Celtic and gave off the impression of someone who believes he’s been given an ideal opportunity to make his mark again.

A beaming Burke said: “I am really excited to be a Celtic player. I had the kit when I was young, the full kit as well (points to imaginary badge), and this has always been the club I’ve thought about.

I wasn’t bothered with getting to know the facilities. Everything will be fine. As long as there is a football pitch and somewhere I can get changed…I’ll be happy.”

It’s been a while since the Scotland international has been happy.

Burke is in many ways still a kid but not so young that he can afford another half season of not playing, which has been the case at West Bromwich Albion.

He admitted: “I’m at a stage where I really need to kick on and play as many games as I can. At the same time I need to be learning and I feel I’m under the right manager now to learn every day and get the best out of me. I believe Brendan can do that.

“I haven’t been injured at all. It’s just one of those things which does happen in football. Unfortunately, I haven’t been selected – I don’t know why.

“All I want to do is play. I love the game. I want to show everyone what I can do. Unfortunately it hasn’t gone my way for the past few years. Hopefully, I am now on a stage where I can perform. I’ll give 100 per cent for this football club.

“I’ll train hard and I’m hoping that helps with my development. All I have been waiting for is the opportunity to play and be given a chance.

“I’ve done a lot of moving, a lot of shifting around, and what I want now is to settle, enjoy this loan period and see where it gets me. I got a lot of attention. Everything happened so quickly. Sometimes it was hard to adapt and also moving clubs can be difficult. You can start to feel comfortable and then you’re on the move again.

“I had to start from scratch, again, at another new club. But I guess I’m used to that now. Still being young is a bonus. I just want to start to enjoy my football again.

“To be honest, I just want to see where this loan at Celtic goes. I’ll try to play in as many games as I can, help the team in any way I can and see where it gets me.”

If Burke can get back to where he was then Celtic have themselves a player. He is fast, skilful and creative. Not a bad combination for a winger.

Perhaps he should have stayed at Forest instead of joining RB Leipzig for a ridiculous fee when he was only 18. Hey, what would you do?

Burke said: “I don’t regret the move if I’m honest. It was an amazing feeling. It was a big shock at the time just how well the team did. I was still a part of it, as such, but not as big a part as I would have liked.

“For the amount of money I went for, everyone expected me to play, they expected the world from me, but at times that’s not how it goes.

“The team were doing so well, playing great football, which was unexpected. However, I can’t say I regret the move. I learned a lot out there. I actually really enjoyed it.

“Look, football has its highs and lows. You have to keep going, working, and pushing yourself because there is always going to be light at the end of the tunnel. You can’t give up.

“I didn’t really think about the price tag. I didn’t know anything about it until it was out in the papers. I didn’t speak to me agent about the fee. We focussed on the best place for me to go at that stage of my career.”

We shall soon find out whether Celtic Park is the place for him to be in 2019

Rydo1888*, Liam Scales and Tommy25 like this.
  3. duffyfaedenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    welcome olly give 100 percent and you wont go far wrong.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OLIVER Burke became the first new addition to the Celtic squad during the January transfer window when he joined on a six-month loan deal from West Brom. The 21-year-old Scotland internationalist has already started training with his new team-mates out in Dubai, and Brendan Rodgers described the new Bhoy as ‘a very exiting talent’.

Speaking to the Celtic View, the Celtic manager said: “Oliver broke on to the scene at Nottingham Forest, and I remember watching him in a game and thinking what a talent he was. Then it all went very quickly for him from Forest straight away to Leipzig - to a new country, a new style, a new way of working for him. Then he wasn’t there that long before he came back.

“I think it’s a very important time for him. He’s only 21, and his key strengths are his pace, his power, and he has an eye for goal.

“Coming into this environment, it’s very much a coaching environment, and in my conversations with him, I’ve found him very keen to learn and he’s very keen to take on that responsibility. There are lots of elements of his game that I think we can change a little, which we hope can change a lot for him individually, but will also benefit our team.

“His pace and power is phenomenal, he has a nice touch on the ball, but his key strength is running in behind on to goal. We hope to utilise that, improve his quality and improve his game, and obviously that will help the team.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Think there's a not so subtle shift to more pace and power middle to front; Burke, Weah and hopefully Bayo is a big statement of intent in that respect.

StPauli1916, Liam Scales and Tommy25 like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hope you’re right mate apart from the McKenna angle. Guys an imposter in my book.

9. clonbhoy

I agree, but I would prefer him to Boyata. The list of who I prefer to Boyata is incredibly long though.

PEI#1 likes this.
  10. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    On a slack day I would totally agree but on a good day he’s best we’ve got and decent. Im hoping the embarrassment of Ibrox will tune him back in.

11. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Adds depth but I don't see him as a starter. Forrest far better

12. clonbhoy

His good days are at home to Hamilton and the like. He is an absolute charlatan! He treated the club with total disrespect, wanders about like he is world class off the pitch and gets shown up by mediocre players on it.
    His agent, * that he is, has done a truly remarkable job. Not only did he manage to trick one club, allegedly, to offer £9 million sterling for him, he has also managed to convince Brendan that he would be difficult to replace. There is, to use the Glaswegian phrase, only a 'bawhair' between him and Efe Ambrose, yet people still trust him, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Xatraps, Artorias, mayo and 3 others like this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Forrest has played 34 from 38 games (plus international) so far and usually plays the full 90 mins. At this rate he will likely play 55 minimum without someone to support him as we have 21 games (if we fail to progress in Europe or Cup). His body needs rest and Burke is someone we can put in at right wing to take a bit off Forrest.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He’ll be a great impact player, especially for the games against Valencia, he’ll certainly get a chance.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

This. We don't want a repeat of his younger days. Overplayed him and took seasons to get his hammys right again.

16. Scullybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Easy Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Lol when you put it like that mate :57:

17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Strange post that.

18. clonbhoy

What is strange about it? Personally, I find putting the word 'that' unnecessarily at the end of posts and sentences strange.

19. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Cuz works in Dubai,apparently Oliver is loving being with the club.
    Don't be surprised if we sign him long term,depending on how he gets on until June.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If WBA even want to sell him and if we’d even pay the fee they’d want.