1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Roskopicachu

I'm just trying to find where the thing originated from. Someone said the photo was from October. That might mean they've been sitting on this story since then.

2. Paddy156

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    this is spot on and involves and affects me both socially and professionally..i'm fascinated and have spoke to a number of psychologists about why people are fascinated with stuff, images and perception.

thanks be to * for counselling these days as a coping strategy..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Devlin likes this.
  3. TheHappyLoss

No one really knows what's going on with Leigh. Sure he's been offered the best of help. Just leave the guy alone he deserves his privacy. Imagine it was one of us, we wouldn't be helped with constant speculation and intrusion all over the media and social media

Devlin and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. clonbhoy

I agree wholeheartedly. However, it is incredibly naïve to go for a day out at the races, where he is photographed with what looks like a drink in his hand, when the media are making all sorts of speculation. That intrusion and speculation is unwarranted, but why give them any fuel?
    No one is asking him to go to a cottage on the Shetlands and lock himself away, but there was a very shortlist of things and places where he would have been advised not to go to or do and he still did. The media don't need any ammunition.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  5. Paddy156

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I wish Leigh all the best because I understand. For me it was and still is to an extent a weight on your shoulders so its important to talk face-to-face. Putting on a brave face doesn't always work. The pressure becomes too much sometimes to deal with..and the external influences (media, family or finances) don't help.

Roskopicachu likes this.
  6. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Keep hearing how "it's ok to not be ok" , and all the campaigns and initiatives to be open up and be forthright about mental health disorders , how they are an injury/illness like any other and need proper treatment. Yet, still, it's cloak and dagger from the club , from the player , from professional and pundits alike when talking about their own experiences. Not once do you hear terms like manic depression , bi-polar, generalised anxiety disorder, social anxiety , schizophrenia . You never hear about the treatment , the success stories, how to get similar help. All bluster from football clubs and government initiiatives about getting young men to open up about these things, yet in reality it is as stigmatised as ever. There is still a huge stigma attached that is exacerbated by situations like this. Hearing Brendan waffle on going round in circles about it not mentioning what the actual * problem is. " a numer of issues, personal issues" .It fuels the lies and the speculation . It makes it seem sinister and adds to the stigma that society is supposedly stamping out. If he has depression, an addiction , whatever it is be forthright about it. Release a statement the same way Alan Stubbs did when he had cancer , the same way you do after a cruciate injury.

7. clonbhoy

Spot on! That may be down to Griffiths himself here, although that in itself comes from societal stigma.
    It is acceptable now to say you have a mental health issue, but people are still slow to accept the person themselves. I can only speak from my own experience, I won't go into it here but I have BPD and a few related issues, and I can tell everyone and anyone and they will accept it, but there is still a stigma. I have had people I thought of as friends leave me down at the first sign of difficulty and bosses who were supposedly supportive try to find a way out rather than help.
    I certainly didn't mean to personalise this, I just found it the easiest way to highlight that there is a huge weight of sympathy out there for those of us with mental health problems and very little empathy.
    I can understand why Griff would want to avoid that, especially given the media interest in him. It is probably easier to let them talk in half-truths and lies than speculate with facts.

jpr21 likes this.
  8. Roskopicachu

Yeah it all seem to stem from those Scotland games. I'd have been * off too what with all the hun injection back into the Scotland set up. A number of things jump out, not least this story might have broke at an event for mental health awareness. That'd be a tough one to prove.

I think also we have to look at ourselves. Or at least Celtic. The more i look at it, the more i think Brendan's handled it badly.

If anyone is trying to say they will have an interview with Leigh why didn't this happen last week, the week before or any time in the past. Brendan said today after the derby game he went straight off on holiday to Dubai, double standards.
    Why wasn't he trying to help Leigh Griffiths?

Celtic threw Leigh under the bus to troll land online. If he hadn't put him on leave, people wouldn't be thinking he'd fail a drug test. That one you could fix quite quickly by putting him straight back into the team. Won't happen.

Next game's a fuckeen cantor against Airdrie at home as well. You could just fire him straight in and say, you're getting the first 45.

However Brendan a'int doing it.

If i was Leigh Griffiths i'd bounce into Celtic Park and ask for a transfer. People can say things, nice messages but it means very little. Brendan Rodgers sin binned Leigh Griffiths and i don't think any of his comments today helped but increase the * crowd strike. He is an idiot. He most probably has no idea, how this * works. It's a little slice of information warfare in the form of a mystery.

At the end of the day, if a guy wants to go to the races and spend some money it's not illegal. Having a beer when you've been told to * off for ages shouldn't come as a surprise.

Brendan might say, he's not on holiday, but he actually is. And Brendan isn't solely responsible for the stress disorder, but he's effectively put him on holiday. It does look that way.

Might be Celtic's solution, multiplies the effect and i think the best thing they could do is get him back into training and get him back in the team.

Will he do that though, now he has his new transfers? Of course he won't. But all the time we get this bullshit about helping Leigh Griffiths. Wouldn't he be helped by being out in Dubai training?

I think the club are also not telling the absolute truth on this one, and they've thrown Leigh Griffiths to the mega trolls.

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

* the referees:84:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Right people this thread has been locked a few times for the speculation and gossip that has been attached to our own player. This is a thread to show support and appreciation of a great servant and fans favourite in his time of recovery. Posters have been warned about posting stories to stoke a fire that the media and huns are doing aplenty. So if you post in this thread let’s make it a positive one and when Griff sits down to read he will know that the Celtic fans back him 100% and we are there. Griff YNWA.

11. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Perhaps Leigh doesn't want it to be disclosed what is exactly wrong?

12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan shouldn’t have gave the nasty gossipy press * all he should just have said I’d speak to him about it instead of pre judging him like the press

13. cammy07

He literally said he’d be speaking to him about it and that he hadn’t seen anything yet..

14. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

But he didnt just say that

He allowed the hun * to insinuate that griff is on a paid holiday a scrounger at celtics expence, they baited that out of Brendan, he should be wise to the * by now

KRS-1888 likes this.
  15. Roskopicachu

Hopefully he can meet up with Brendan, explain it's a storm in a teacup and get back out on the training pitch.
    I liked what Lenny had to say on it yesterday. Think he was spot on. The guy needs to put it to one side throw away his mobile phone and get back to playing football and surrounding himself with the right people.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Perceptio
    Its seems okay to talk about mental health,but addiction still seems taboo & makes a lot of people uneasy,banning people only highlights the backward society we live in.People should be able to speak there minds.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw. You're * way off here pal. How is asking people to show support and compassion rather than spreading bullshit n innuendo * backwards ?

* need a mind to start with before they can speak it.

clonbhoy and JC Anton like this.
  19. Gourlay1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tam Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Im sorry mate but i dont agree with your comments.
    I dont think that Celtic have told Griff to take some leave. Griffiths has came out and said that he is taking time out due to mental health. Rodgers has said Griffiths needs time away from the game to sort himself out. Celtic are giving him the time and help that he needs. There is a designated person at celtic that is dealing with Griff too.

I dont think that flinging him into the game vs Airdrie will do anyone any good neither. He does need time away from all the spotlight, sort himself out and come back to doing what he does best but not 3 weeks after the manager says that he will be out for months due to his mental health.

He is defo not on holiday, he is on sick leave and imo shouldnt give people ammunition to aim at him by doing silly things like going to the races etc. Maybe getting him alongside the team, training etc may do him the power of good, but it also may just act as a cover up, showing his team mates and the world that hes okay, when in reality he isnt.

20. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Theres only one leigh griffiths. you'll never walk alone:shamrock::ynwacelti

Rydo1888*, bagforlife and StPauli1916 like this.