1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

Agreed.

I fancy Ortega to win, even if Holloway is/was 100%.

Slaw likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How so? Holloway has been battering killers, who has Ortega fought?

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Frankie Edgar, Renato Moicano and Cub Swanson for starters. The first two of which are the third and fifth best in the division at this moment in time in my opinion.

I'm a massive fan of both Holloway and Ortega but Ortega's submissions are something very special and unlike anything ever seen before in the sport. Once he has his hands on his opponent in any way shape or form, they panic and rightly so. He doesn't need you on the mat to lock one up.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Now that’s a bizarre statement, you’ve never seen a better submission artist in MMA than Ortega?

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Never ever. He's something special mate, seriously. Not undisputable, but he is the best we've ever seen in my own opinion.

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    “Unlike anything ever seen in the sport” that’s some hyperbole even from a guy who said McGregor is the greatest fighter ever :giggle1:.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Dana starting on Woodley again. Hilarious how much they hate each other.

When Woodley drops that belt he’s never getting another shot.

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Just my opinion mate although I am fond of a bit of hyperbole haha. Do you recall ever seeing someone who makes an entire crowd gasp when just simply clinching with his opponent? Case in point, Frankie Edgar fight. I stand by my statement. He's unlike anything we've ever seen before.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s not even in the same stratosphere as someone like Maia. Never mind Jacare, Palhares or Werdum.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mate there’s having an opinion then talking complete pish.

Have you ever heard of the name ‘Gracie’?

You’re making out like Ortega Just goes in there and locks people up straight away and has them tapping when he wants.

He’s got phenomenal BJJ but he’s not ‘unlike anything we’ve ever seen’ at all.

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

In terms of being potent with his submission attempts he definitely is. Not overall as accomplished a grappler as those guys but a more lethal finisher in MMA. Look at his finish on Cub, his last minute sub of Moicano who is a classy grappler in his own right.

Ortega has already submitted 3 black belts in his young UFC career but it's the way he does it. All he needs is one chance. He's a scary scary grappler and it's genuinely not an outlandish thing to say that we've not seen anything like him before. Jacare and Maia are world class suffocating grapplers but they don't wrap up submissions in an instant, that's not their game.

Ortega is wrapping black belts up in standing guillotines where they seem to be amazed they were even in any danger to begin with.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Again, it's really not anything that hasn't been before by respected figures in the sport. I'm not "talking complete pish"

Ortega happens to be a prodigy from the Gracie academy mate. You're not seriously comparing what he's doing to what Royce was doing to guys who didn't know what Jiu Jitsu was? The sport is evolving and Ortega is bringing something to the table we've never seen before. Instant severe threat of a submission once he hasn't his hands on you.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Who have we seen before that's like him out of interest since that's the statement you're trying to refute?

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He’s only 27. If he stays healthy and avoids any serious damage and has a long career then he’ll no doubt go down as one of the GOAT submission artists of all time.

But to say he’s ‘unlike anything we’ve ever seen’ literally doesn’t make any sense to me. Fucksake this time a couple of year ago people were saying this about Maia.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

What he did to Cub and Moicano demonstrated his skills for all to see. Who knows if he'll put i together to beat Max, it's a tall order but his skills are there as clear as day in my eyes.

Again it's really not an outlandish statement mate. He is unlike anything we've seen in the sport before. Other high level submission artists need you in their world on the mat before they can even think of locking anything up.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jacare
    Werdum
    Maia

Even the likes of RDA would give Ortega problems on the ground.

You’re not claiming you think he’s the best right now or potential to be the best. You’re saying he’s nothing like we’ve ever seen which is just complete nonsense.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

The audacity to say I'm chatting * while saying RDA would cause him problems on the mat lol.

I never said Ortega is a better grappler than those 3. I said he has skills that have never been seen before which is clear as day in my opinion.

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He’s a 3rd degree black belt.

Again, you seem to be confusing being exceptional or being the best to unlike anything we’ve ever seen.

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

As was Brandao, mate.

What do you mean? He brings skills to the table we've never seen before. It's simple.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

You seem to think I was trying to say Ortega is on another level to the 3 guys you mentioned on the ground. That's certainly not the case but hes able to do things those guys can't.