1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Realizing how much bourbon hate there is over there, it's clearly because you don't get the good stuff. Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    How much more are you talking? And are you literally meaning a case, as in all the same whisky, or is it just 6/12 bottles? You like Lagavulin, have you tried their distillers edition?

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m a massive foodie so everything from Italian to Indian to Mexican and everything in between. Profiteroles would probably be my favourite dessert and I much prefer savoury of the two.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Literally no limit without being stupid like 5 grand. If somewhere online did a mixture of a case that may be an option, hadn’t thought of that.

5. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    They make a whisky advent calendar iirc, if you want to try a whole bunch of different things.

I can definitely narrow down choices with profiteroles as your favorite dessert, I've had whiskies I'd call "creamy." But a lot of them have savory elements alongside. What would sound best with cream flavors? Apple? Lemon? Darker fruits? Meaty? Smoky?

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sounds like you are looking for something a bit out of my price range experience. I'd suggest speaking to the folks at the good spirits co., or the whisky exchange, and they should be able to help you out based on what you like.

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I bet you’ve had a nip recently celebrating InSight :60:

obafgkmlt likes this.
  8. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I don't necessarily need a special occasion :84:

Marty McFly likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apple definitely but I’ve been becoming less and less adverse to the smokier ones as I drink whisky more.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’d love to try a few, problem I’ve got is I need to order it tomorrow :56:

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I've had good experiences with the good spirits co. You could give them a call tomorrow and I'm sure they could sort you out.

12. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Alrighty, apple and cream tells me that you should look to light highland whiskies.

Glen Garioch had a very apple-forward profile from what I remember. I only had their youngest (12 year) and it was decent, so they can only get better going up their line.

If you're interested in adding a bit of smokiness to that apple-cream combo, look at Ardmore Peated Traditional Cask. I also haven't had anything else in the Ardmore line, but I enjoyed that. Was an interesting profile, seemed to flip between the peaty and the sweet every time you took a sip.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Cheers lads :50:

14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If you are going down the different whiskes route I'd suggest getting 2 bottles of each, that's what I normally do when I am getting something new that I might have trouble getting again. It also means you can open one and keep one, either as a reminder or an investment but you still get to try it.

15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Love reading this thread

Can’t wait to start my whisky journey

PaulM1888 likes this.
  16. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Don't let this thread scare you off bourbon. Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are garbage, there is much better out there.

17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think bourbon is always going to struggle here when compared to malt whisky. So much of the flavour and complexity of scotch comes from the variety of barrels used, both new and refill, during aging, but bourbon is hamstrung on that front by only using new oak barrels. I always find that being a legal requierment for bourbon rather odd.

18. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Au contraire, I would argue that the variety is restored by the allowed variances in mashbill as opposed to single malts which are all barley. Wheated bourbons in particular are magnificent, and, sadly, rapidly disappearing for it. Some bottles I got for $30 or less a few years ago now go for hundreds at auction.

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Personally I've not really enjoyed any blends I have tried that use other grains, but that is just my tastes. That doesn't include bourbons as I haven't tried many of those, not out of any sense of bias or prejudice, it's just there are so many I still want to try from here before I start looking for even more.

One thing I have wondered, are all/most bourbons sweet? The ones I was given to try, and to be perfectly honest I can't recall what they were now as it was a good while ago, were too sweet for my pallate. More than likely they were the cheap mass market ones though, but it is one of the reasons I have been in no hurry to try others.

20. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It depends on the mashbill you try. Bourbons that are mostly corn tend to have syrup and honey qualities, so can be fairly sweet. Wheated bourbons tend to have light vanilla notes, so not as sticky sweet as the all-corn ones. Rye adds a spiciness though, so rye whiskies can be not at all sweet depending on how much is in the mashbill. There are 100% ryes easily available.

Seriously, try things that are above the mass market. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites that is still easy to find and affordable (~$30 here), and their barrel proof is magnificent. Four Roses Single Barrel is another of my favorites that is easy to find, but a bit pricier (~$45 here). There are a lot of very solid cheap options here, but I'm not sure they'd be available across the pond.