1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McClean:

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Henrik 07, Dec 14, 2017.

Discuss James McClean: in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Empty heads.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  2. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    James McClean has described a section of supporters “uneducated cavemen” after the Stoke City footballer suffered a torrent of abuse for refusing to wear a Remembrance Day poppy.

Footage posted on social media showed Middlesbrough supporters in a corner of Stoke’s best365 Stadium hurl abuse at the Republic of Ireland international, who came on as a late substitute in the 0-0 draw between the two sides on Saturday afternoon.

As McClean made his way to the players’ tunnel, Middlesbrough supporters booed the winger and unleashed a stream of invective, as stewards pushed a number of fans – all of them men – back from the perimeter fence.

Late on Saturday night, McClean, who was also booed by some home fans, responded by quoting Bobby Sands, a member of the Provisional IRA who infamously died in 1981 on hunger strike while imprisoned in Northern Ireland.

[​IMG]22
    Middlesbrough fans hurl abuse at James McClean for not wearing poppy ( YouTube/Crimes of Britain )
    “They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn’t want to be broken,” McClean wrote, quoting Sands.

He continued: “Your abuse, your throwing things, your booing, do your worst… to the home fans that are actually educated and support me, thank you.

“To the section of uneducated cavemen in the left-hand corner of the Boothen End stand that want to song their anti-Irish song each game and call me a * this and that... I am a PROUD * no c@#t will ever change that, so sing away.”

Gary Rowett, Stoke’s manager, defended his player and accused away fans of using it as an opportunity to “goad somebody”.

"It's his belief and he's strong enough to come out and with his belief, whether you agree with it or not,” he told the Stoke Sentinel.

McClean had confirmed earlier in the week he would not wear a poppy, a decision he has made every year - and been consistently abused for - since first moving to England to join Sunderland in 2011.

"I know many people won't agree with my decision or even attempt to gain an understanding of why I don't wear a poppy,” he said on Tuesday.

"I accept that but I would ask people to be respectful of the choice I have made, just as I'm respectful of people who do choose to wear a poppy."

McClean was born and brought up in city of Derry, in Northern Ireland. He grew up on Creggan estate, where six of the people killed on * Sunday in 1972 came from.

* Sunday was one of the most significant events of The Troubles conflict in the country, when British soldiers shot 28 unarmed civilians during a peaceful protest march.

McClean objects to wearing the poppy because the symbol commemorates military personnel who have died in war – and not just soldiers who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars.

Twisty, BigWilly, Artorias and 8 others like this.
  3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Didn't see the game yesterday obviously but had a look on the Stoke forum this morning and again was pleasantly surprised by the way the majority on the forum seemed to engage in debate on this subject. From what I have seen ( fair enough just on the internet) Stoke City and their supporters have dealt with this far better then Wigan, Sunderland or West Brom ever did.

James has singled out a specific section so there obviously are some dickheads at Stoke but the majority on their forum seemed to want to defend his rights and freedom of expression and condemned the abuse he got.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. leeso-ardoyne

* excellent!! A mans man who doesnt shrink to all this new pc balls. Wears his heart on his chest! If theres one man id love to see pull them hoops over his head for us then its him. Hed run through brick walls for us. A proud * *! * love it haha

Twisty, Devlin, BigWilly and 3 others like this.
  6. Nasser

There will always be some scumbags that sing and chant against him, a lot of people are sheep at football but when it's more organised groups of men going straight for him I would say it be a local Far-right group who come especially to give him abuse. NF and their modern equivalents like EDL are anti-Irish a big part of the far-right is still attacking Republicans it just does not get media attention. McClean is brave as they come so he won't be bullied by these racists.

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    With this statement and Lennon a couple of days ago it will raise the question of anti Irish racism on the mainland as a whole. McClean has to answer the same question every year and face booing and abuse wherever he goes to do his job. Lennon is exactly the same and this will be played down in the weeks to follow. They have no shame in the fact for centuries the British have plundered, raped, murdered and stole homes and land from the naturalised citizen. Their governments have used their war machine through the years to bully and slaughter the defenceless. So to take enough, stand up, organise and retaliate is when you become a terrorist. A terrorist in your own country when you defend your family and home. But their biggest PR stunt was to strip us of our language and tried to eradicate our education and religion. They completely refuse to accept any wrongs or embarrassed enough to apologise to neighbours whom they look down on as second class citizens. The media as with Lennon have played a massive role in this with their silence or even criticism of both men. If this was orchestrated against a Muslim or Jewish player there would be great debate in the Commons and widespread criticism on TV and tabloids. The bigots can’t respect or accept the background of any individual that doesn’t conform or bow to their superior complex of their background.

Zanderama, Devlin, BigWilly and 4 others like this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Aye and a lot of the * with Irish surnames. Oh the ignorant are mighty.

9. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    With regards to those cretins dishing it out i think it's pretty much a waste of oxygen......most of these clowns would struggle to spell the word debate never mind enter one!!!

PARKHEAD67, bagforlife and packybhoy like this.
  10. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

11. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Screenshot_20181105-204021.png Compare and contrast....

12. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

That's a *' joke, just proves it's only the Irish Catholics that get it tight..

13. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Which is McClean's point. This is how the same newspaper covered his refusal to wear a poppy. DrPwiSQXcAArvkA.jpeg

14. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
  15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Guy in the local post office has the poppy tins out but doesn’t wear one.

Guy in the other week saying he should be as he is working for a part of the sovereign (post office) guy politely said look don’t wear it doesn’t mean anything to me. Old * has complained to Post Office about him not wearing one!

Now am not clued up on all this pish but when did it become a legal requirement to wear one? GTF it’s choice and freedom is that not what the people who went to war (excluding NI) for???

Hypocrites every last * one if you ask me!

16. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    James McClean has been disciplined by Stoke after he called a section of the club's fans "uneducated cavemen".

McClean's outburst on Instagram came after he was verbally abused by some home supporters during the Championship clash with Middlesbrough last weekend over his refusal to wear a Remembrance Day poppy on his shirt.

A statement on the Stoke website read: "Stoke City's investigation into James McClean's social media post following last Saturday's game against Middlesbrough has concluded and the player has been dealt with under the terms of the club's disciplinary procedure."

In a statement of his own to Stoke supporters, McClean, an Irish Catholic who has faced persistent abuse for his poppy stance, gave a qualified apology.

He said: "At last Saturday's game a section of our supporters threatened and abused me because of my religious beliefs and upbringing.

"I am certain that no fair-minded person would regard that as acceptable but I recognise that as a professional footballer, and therefore a role model, I'm expected to tolerate it.

"Whilst I do not believe it is appropriate for me to apologise to those fans who abused me, I do want to whole-heartedly apologise to the vast majority of Stoke City fans who, although they may have different views to myself, are decent and respectful.

"I sincerely apologise for any offence that I caused them with my comments and posting on Instagram."

Speaking about McClean's comments at a press conference on Thursday, Stoke boss Gary Rowett told reporters: "I spoke to James about it. I think his reaction was out of frustration but criticising the minority of our fans isn't the way to go and we can't condone that.

"But, when you understand the background to his beliefs and you see that his family have been sent death threats, his wife and kids have had abuse constantly and you see he's been sent things in the post, you can understand why he reacts; he's only human."

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member