1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets chat about our keepers

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jamiebhoy67, Oct 16, 2018.

Discuss Lets chat about our keepers in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jamiebhoy67

Was reading the paper about gordon conceding 7 goals in 2 games for scotland there and i was thinking so whats new albeit the opposition was pretty good and the scotland team are pretty dire but tbh iv felt for a while hes a bit of a liability good bit of business for us at one point but now i think we could do alot better than him and bain tbh.

Gordon for me does pull off the occasional wonder save but the other times he looks like hes made of paper and doesnt command enough in the air i think we should be looking to strengthen this are no harm.to scott bain i think hes looked decent enough but again we should have higher in mind just an opinion lads gordon past it?? And should have better than bain ?

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Think it's too early to make a decision on Bain. The only mistake I can recall he's made was his rush of blood to the head at the end of the St Johnstone game.

His distribution is miles better than Gordon's and he suits our play more, he deserves a chance between now and the summer to stake his claim for the gloves.

At that point De Vries will go (if not sooner) and Gordon will be 36, so we'll need at least 1 keeper in.

ps...are you related to jamiebhoy68?

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Gordon has been a good signing for us, but we should be actively seeking a replacement. CB and RB are still higher priorities though, in my opinion.

4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Tend to agree with @The GOAT on this. There are other areas of the pitch that require more immediate attention than between the sticks.

5. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I personally think Gordon is a great keeper and really do not get the criticism towards him at times

Tommy25 likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's been a good servant for us but we should be looking for better. His kicking and distribution are counter-productive if we're trying to play the possession-based game that Rodgers wants. He's also poor at commanding his box and reluctant to come for crosses that are a keepers ball all day long eg. Suduva away.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    For me, some folk have far too much respect and sympathy for Gordon. You always here the aged old "great shot stopper" that he got tagged with at hearts, but to be honest he gets beat a little too easily at times for me.
    Any time we play against a team that is more attacking minded that can hurt us, he crumbles. Between him and boyata during his dire days, they both are responsible for a lot of heavy defeats we have taken in Europe.
    Simply put, Gordon is not good enough for that level.

Other folk will also use the "he done great to come back from that injury" or "for a free, he is brilliant". Sure, won't even argue the merits of both those train of thoughts, but having respect and sympathy for him, or his price range doesn't equate to being immune from criticism or by default makes him good.

Spfl level, any keeper we have is gonna be decent enough, purely based on the fact that we just don't get exploited too much. In Europe, he is not good enough. Period.

As for bain, he never is going to argue to be our number one and isn't bought for it. He is an adequate spfl keeper and for me, that's good enough for back up. So I'm ok with his role in the squad.

De Vries is just a mistake of a purchase, though maybe not as bad as his debut suggests. For his age and wage, he simply isn't needed. Had he not been a flop,we wouldn't have bain mind you. So unfortunate for him, but again we don't need him.

Combine those two taking up the 2nd keeper role, it's hindering the likes of Hazard getting a game in cup matches etc. Which is not a good thing.

Personally I'd chuck Gordon and delete Vries as neither should be a number one for us and both aren't worth being a number 2 at their age and wage.

I'd be happy with bain, but would like to see hazard push him.

Bottom line, we need a new goalkeeper for the starting 11.
    Costil was a free last year, would have been interesting to bring in.
    Also would be some hot youngsters around Europe, look what we did with Forster at his age.

People will come out to defend Gordon with the above quotes and say "name a better keeper we can get". Well I can't and won't.
    I could scroll through a football manager game and name 15 potential, but I'll get shot down.
    But that isn't my day job, it isn't what I'm paid to do. We have people paid to do that.
    Ask them that question, because if they genuinely deem Gordon, de Vries - even the Motherwell lad from last season - as good enough and our level, then we better accept our level of being Europa League fodder.

I for one know we can do better and get better.
    It may mean spending 4 million and paying someone 25k a week, but for a spine of a team, we really should be doing that.
    Not freebies and over the hills.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Goalkeeper has been a priority for an age now so, for me, it should be addressed before any other area of the team.

We need better than Gordon to progress in Europe.

9. oh bhoy

Turning down £5million for Gordon was yet another Bizzare decision

Seosamh Máirtín and Lewis Kerr like this.
  10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Craig Gordon is completely devoid of confidence and that transfers to the defenders. I'd personally be taking a punt on Bain for the time being but we clearly need a new keeper. I'm sick of Gordon's 'hard done by' face. Ever since the Inter game he's been a shadow of himself.

Rydo1888*, Lewis Kerr and Drakhan like this.
  11. jamiebhoy67

This was my reasoning for opening this mate our defence has taken pelters and having him between the sticks must transfer to our defence hes not commanding enough respect from his box imo well said mate agree completely

12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Get rid of him.
    Put Bain in between the sticks.
    At least until we get a better keeper. One that can inspire confidence in the defence then we pay out for even better defenders.
    Once that's done get some midfielders in that will take on the opposition, not just pass the ball sideways and backwards.
    Then get a couple in to partner Griff.
    We are Celtic. We should be frightening teams not ourselves and the supporters.

13. jamiebhoy67

Hahaha soo just a whole new team mate lol love the attitude we are celtic and we should be the ones causing panic in other teams no the other way around

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think his attitude has verged on snidey towards the support for a while now.

He’s a miserable *.

Aidan O’Shea and Slaw like this.
  15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well the huns can do it :fear:

16. Lewis Kerr

We should have punted Gordon when Deila left. Great stop gap but he’s declining and doesn’t fill me with any confidence these days. * barely saves a penalty

Keeping him as number one has been the lazy option. Like a lot of our transfer dealings in the last few years

17. Mr. Slippyfist

Let's talk about the goalkeeping position? Okay, then let's talk...

Gordon has been finished as a top goalkeeper for a long time. Done incredibly well for us that much cannot be taken away from him, but he's declined considerably - shot stopping (other than the odd cracker) isn't even THAT good anymore. Doesn't command his defence, nor his area. Attitude isn't the best for me now, definitely needing replaced and has done for about 2/3 seasons.

Scott Bain - not the answer. Decent back up but will be nothing other than that, and fair play to him he's got a move to us and has done reasonably well (other than one catastrophic brainfart).

De Vries - don't even know if he's still here, but he's been a disaster overall.

Connor Hazard - spoken about as having a big future, but he won't get a sniff at a chance, not at all.

Ryan Mullen - looks a good young prospect, but again won't see any game time.

And speaking of the young goalkeepers, I am disgusted at the lack of goalkeepers we've actually produced. Off the top of my head I genuinely cannot think of any "home grown" goalkeepers we've produced other than David Marshall and before that Stuart Kerr. Suppose you could class Bonner as home grown on that.

We've had our 3 greatest ever goalkeepers play for us in my lifetime (Bonner, Boruc, Forster) and I'm hopeful that I'll see another one, but sadly not confident that'll come under Rodgers' era.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I like Bain always have, good handler of the ball and moves the ball quickly, however his shot stopping is questionable lots just seem to go through him..

Gordon is a good reflex shot-stopper, but in almost every other part of the game he’s inadequate..

Passing, Decisions Making, Command of the box, Penalties (just woeful) & speed off the line..

He’s one of the reasons we don’t perform at the higher level, granted with little protection at times.

GK has been a priority as long as RB has..

19. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    For me both are as reliable as each other at the moment. Gordon maybe has experience on his side which probably edges it for me, but to be honest there's very little between them in my opinion and I wouldn't bat an eyelid over who was given the gloves going forward.

Bottom line for me is we need better than both of them and it should be addressed in the summer as there are higher priority positions that require urgent reinforcements in January as mentioned already.

20. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I'm not to sure how people can write off Bain so quickly, De Vries- sure we have seen enough of him to say he's pure pish but I haven't really seen Bain concede a goal with us where you thought he should've saved it. Gordon is a strange one, he will pull off some world-class saves then about 10 minutes later get beat at his near post with a scrappy shot.

Guess it all depends on what you want your GK for:

Gordon- making brilliant reaction saves, experience , palms the ball away from danger well

Bain- better communication, accurate kicking, better with ball at feet under pressure

De Vries- good coffee maker, has an instagram degree, struggling to find a 3rd thing to write about him