1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cristiano Ronaldo accused of rape

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 29, 2018.

Discuss Cristiano Ronaldo accused of rape in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t think I’ve seen anybody disagree with the point that nobody should be named until it’s all said and done. The solicitor point is a bit weird, what does the solicitor matter?

The problem for me is these sorts of conversations always ends up being focused around the female victim making it up. When the biggest problem for me is the animals raping people.

That’s also a big reason why people keep stuff like this to themselves a lot of the time. The type of judgement that you’ve shown in this thread is a massive part of that and that’s a fact.

BigWilly and Colin Robinson like this.
  2. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

That was the start of it dev. You saying she was the victim.

There was no proof who the victim is. although you assume it’s her. I said at the start I don’t know who the victim is.

Don’t accuse me of being part of the problem when you come out with comments like that^^^^^

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Nah, you are mate. You’ve been in here shouting about lassies making this * up when really, it’s a major minority that this happens in. That’s also very wrong but it’s something that everybody who has had this happen to them needs to deal with and it’s devastating to see them need to cope with that after there life has already been pretty much ripped to shreds.

BigWilly and Colin Robinson like this.
  4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I haven’t been shouting, I questioned who the victim was.
    You assume it’s the woman for your own reasons. Which doesn’t help the problem of false accusations.
    The men that commit rape are the real problem but as I said the false accusers don’t help the situation

Anyone who commits rape is a * whether they get off with it or not.

I have had close hand experience of both scenarios & both are devestating.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Is there another crime where most of the sympathy is with the accused?

Seems as soon as a woman goes back to a mans house/hotel/car etc she forgoes all human rights.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bingo.

BigWilly likes this.
  7. Murph-E

A false rape accusation is also a crime, so she's also innocent until proven guilty of that.

Not directing that at you in particular, it's just something you often find. In the Paddy Jackson case I remember plenty of people saying they believed him/not her, and would say "innocent until proven guilty" with regards to him, while simultaneously accusing her of a crime.

8. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

There's a difference between "innocent until proven guilty" and "she must be lying because Ronaldo's a male model and has boatloads of money", the latter of which has unfortunately been on display more frequently in this thread. Her case has been dismissed by many based on very little but personal opinion and preconceived notions of her character and motivations, which in reality we know nothing about.

It is that mindset that does make it difficult for many women to come forward, particularly where the perpetrator is in the public eye.

I'm not saying that Ronaldo is guilty (at the moment anyway), but judgements shouldn't be so quickly and easily made regarding the alleged victim either.

9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Agree that judgements shouldn't be made either way until the facts are made clear or there is solid evidence, an accusation alone can destroy someone's life, even when there is no truth behind it, and by the same token anyone who has been abused has the right to get justice regardless of passage of time or any external circumstances.

Sometimes it can be very difficult to seperate truth from lies, he says she says, the motives and the timing can come into question.

I don't know all the details about this particular case, haven't read up on it tbh, but i did watch the recent judge kavanaugh saga, didn't think there was enough evidence to use against him and wasn't totally convinced with Christine Blasey Ford.

Of course each case can only be judged on it's indivdual details.

10. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    One thing is most forgotten is these crimes or alleged crimes involve both sexes,in the sense that once in the bedroom or whenever both sexes are highly involved.Now Rape is Rape and is beyond evil when it occurs,far too often in all societies to say the least.
    But and there is but despite the countless Shites of Men out there,the waters can be muddy and in women can also take advantage of men in the sense of making them feel guilty the next day,a man cannot turn it around the next day because he decided in the morning that before no longer suits them.
    In other words nothing is Black or White,it is a people thing,and being people,any decent person knows anybody that commits Rape should face the harshest punishment there is,bare minimun.

11. Grace

This.

If I go back to a guy's house, that's not explicit consent.
    If I kiss him, that's not a green light for *.
    If I have *, I should be able to say stop at any moment and expect him not to carry on.

Similarly, if I flirt with you, or wear a short dress, or walk home after a night out, that's not an invitation to grab me

Sadly, not all my experiences have been like this. I'm sure many women have had similar.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Once read in either Nuts or Zoo, saying that girls on holiday wore more revealing clothes because they wanted it more. In a national magazine. Can you imagine the thousands of men reading that, that believed it?

13. Grace

That's shocking and so, so dangerous.

Especially when it's aimed at older teenage boys. They're a bag of hormones already without adding fuel to that.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45817055

15. Mr. Slippyfist

No being funny like and of course women have every right to say no, but it's getting to the point now where you need a consent form or like a card to be pulled from a purse to say "you may enter".

Used to be anaw you could be all romantic like and lean in for a kiss on a woman you're on a date with or whatever, but now if you do it it's sexual assault.

I've every sympathy with women AND men who've been raped/assaulted etc, but sometimes it really does go way over the top.

Next thing you know you'll get the jail for staring at a women's * or *....

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    "
    Real Madrid have taken legal action against a Portuguese newspaper that reported the club forced Cristiano Ronaldo to settle with the woman who accused him of rape.

Real said the information published by Correio da Manhã is “categorically false” and was printed in an effort to “seriously damage the image of this club”.

Real said they have “absolutely no knowledge of any of the information that the newspaper published with regard to the player Cristiano Ronaldo, and therefore the club was unable to take action on a matter of which it had no knowledge.”

Correio da Manhã published an article on Wednesday saying that part of Ronaldo’s defence will be to say that Real forced him to settle. It said Ronaldo was against settling and always declared his innocence.

The newspaper said it stood by what it published and that everything that went into the article was checked.

Kathryn Mayorga filed a lawsuit late last month in Nevada saying she was raped by Ronaldo in Las Vegas in 2009. Police have reopened an investigation.

The 33-year-old, who spent nearly a decade at Real before joining Juventus in this summer, has strongly denied the accusation, claiming such a crime was “against everything that I am and believe in”."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/11/real-madrid-sue-newspaper-cristiano-ronaldo

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    "The German magazine that reported a rape allegation made against footballer Cristiano Ronaldo says it has "no reason" to doubt the authenticity of key documents used in its story.

Ronaldo, 33, denies assaulting Kathryn Mayorga at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

Lawyers representing the Juventus player said on Wednesday that documents had been "completely fabricated".

But Der Spiegel said: "We have hundreds of documents from different sources that substantiate our reporting."

It added in a statement: "We stand by our reporting. We have no reason to believe that those documents are not authentic.

"Furthermore, as always and before publishing every single article in Der Spiegel, we have meticulously fact-checked our information and had it legally reviewed.

"The statement that was issued by [Ronaldo's lawyer] Peter Christiansen on behalf of Cristiano Ronaldo presents the usual path that Mr Ronaldo and his lawyers have taken in the past when unsuccessfully fighting our investigative work."

The magazine's story centres on a questionnaire, which it says came from Ronaldo's lawyers, in which the Portugal international admits Mayorga, 34, said "no" and "stop" during the alleged attack.

In a statement released on Wednesday, Christiansen said the documents were "pure inventions" and the result of a 2015 cyber attack, during which "electronic data was stolen" from "dozens of entities (including law firms) in different parts of Europe".

He added: "This hacker tried to sell such information, and a media outlet irresponsibly ended up publishing some of the stolen documents, significant parts of which were altered and/or completely fabricated."

Der Spiegel responded by saying: "In our article, we quote two versions of a document with statements by Mr Ronaldo.

"It's a questionnaire that comes from his lawyers and describes the course of the night, in which the alleged rape occurred. The first version of this questionnaire, in which Ronaldo is quoted as saying that Ms Mayorga said 'no' and 'stop', is consistent with many details of Ms Mayorga's description of the incident.

"Both also state that he apologised to her afterwards. In a later version of this questionnaire, Mr Ronaldo denies the accusation of rape and denies apologising to Ms Mayorga."

Christiansen said his client's position continues to be that "what happened in 2009 in Las Vegas was completely consensual".

He added: "So that there are no doubts: Cristiano Ronaldo vehemently denies all the accusations in this civil action, in consistency with what he has done in the last nine years."

Mayorga's lawyers have now called for any documents to be handed over to "the appropriate law enforcement agencies" to help resolve any discrepancies.

They added they wanted to review any evidence that showed documents had been altered or fabricated.

'Admittance of payment'
    Der Spiegel also believes Ronaldo's representatives have changed their narrative regarding the alleged payment that was made to Mayorga by Ronaldo's lawyers in 2010.

Mayorga, who the magazine says filed a report with Las Vegas police shortly after the alleged incident, reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations.

Christiansen says Ronaldo does not deny he entered into an agreement, but "the reasons that led him to do so are at least to be distorted". He added: "This agreement is by no means a confession of guilt."

Der Spiegel said: "When we published an article about the settlement agreement between Ms Mayorga and Mr Ronaldo in 2017, his advisors called it 'nothing but a piece of journalistic fiction'.

"Now, Mr Ronaldo admits that he agreed to that settlement."

The magazine's statement added: "Before publishing our story about the rape accusations, we gave Mr Ronaldo and his lawyers the opportunity to respond to the allegations.

"They could have disputed the facts that we presented to them. They did not do that. In no way did they claim that parts of our information were 'pure inventions'. One of his lawyers threatened to sue us for publishing because he said that we infringed Mr Ronaldo's personal rights. So far, we have not received anything in this regard.

"Only Kathryn Mayorga and Cristiano Ronaldo know the truth about the incident that occurred on June 13, 2009. It's not our job to judge. What we do is to report. We tell both sides of the story.

"The responsible authorities of Nevada will determine the following steps in this process. So far, of course the presumption of innocence applies to Mr Ronaldo."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45824263

19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

How broke is society though that it’s come to the point we don’t know whether to believe a person claiming they’ve been raped or not. Even worse a society where sexual assault or attempted sexual assault happens far too often, to the point people get away with such a horrific thing.

How many cases have we not heard about because rich people paid them off? It took decades for us to find out huge Hollywood cover ups and pay offs, which is only the tip of the iceberg.

20. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If Ronaldo did rape her and denies it then he should get jailed if found guilty but if he didnt rape her and she lied then she should be jailed for the same length of time he would have got if found guilty.