1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cristian Gamboa

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DutchHoops, Aug 30, 2016.

Discuss Cristian Gamboa in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Spot on.

I'll never understand the way Gamboa has been treated since joining. His attitude is absolutely fantastic and although he's no world beater, he's more than good enough for domestic football. He's never let us down at that level.

If he is dropped for the game on Thursday, then questions have to be asked. Even more so if Boyata is welcomed back into the fold after refusing to play in our most important game of the season.

2. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I have to laugh when people bring up the Barcelona and Bayern games when they talk about him. :giggle1:

Yes he might not be a solid defender but how many full backs are these days?

I would much rather Gamboa who offers an option going forward with his overlapping runs and also has the energy and pace to get back and make recovery runs which Lustig can’t.

Mentioned before but Lustig played a big part in the 3 goals we conceded against AEK. Let 2 crosses come in and then he loses his man for the final goal in Athens although Hendry should have dealt with it Lustig should have done better.

Gamboa might not be perfect but he would be my first choice right back. At least he offers something to the side which Lustig hasn’t for a while now. Lustig should definitely be shifted into the centre back position in the mean time until we hopefully sign a solid centre half/s.

Hopefully he won’t be as exposed there-

Gamboa Lustig Ajer Tierney

We need to sign better players if Brendan wants to play 3 at the back.

Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Not a fan of Lustig at centre half, but I'd definitely rather play him there if it meant Hendry is dropped.

The problem is we have two right backs but neither are really good enough, and I'd argue the weaker of the two (Lustig) is the less likely to leave. Provided we sign a better right back, I'd rather see Gamboa as the back up and getting some games in the league as a rotation player. Lustig...* knows. He's done but he won't be leaving.

freitassen and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  4. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I like him. I love attacking, overlapping full backs. With two competent centre halfs ( :43: ) and a clever, positionslly sound, holding mid (Brown) you should easily be able to accommodate them.
    However, if and I stress if, he committed to being available for champ lge qualifiers and then * off to the gold cup, it's similar to what Boyata did. Albeit a slightly lesser crime as he's representing his country and I've no issue with any player wanting to do that. But if he gave his word.

He's served his time. Extend his contract and get him in the team more.
    I struggle to be so kind to Boyata.

5. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah I definitely don’t think Lustig is the answer at CB either. Just a stop gap until we hopefully sign better.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CRISTIAN Gamboa believes Celtic owe it to their supporters to secure European football to at least Christmas after the disappointment of their UEFA Champions League exit.

After being edged out by AEK Athens in the Champions League third qualifying round, the Hoops will go head-to-head with FK Suduva for a place in the UEFA Europa League group stages. And the Costa Rican defender said that the players are determined to do well in the play-off ties, starting tonight in Lithuania.

“It was a big disappointment not to go through to the next round of the Champions League, but we have the Europa League now and we want to play European football, as it’s a really good environment for the club to play these matches,” Gamboa told this week's Celtic View.

“Even in the Europa League, you get to play against a lot of good teams and it’s good for Scottish football for us to get there.

“At Celtic you always have to be involved in European football so we have to do it. This is our last chance. Our fans deserve that as they’ve always supported us and we need to give something back to them.”

Brendan Rodgers’ side are in Lithuania for the first leg against FK Suduva, and Gamboa is adamant that the Scottish champions won’t underestimate their opponents.

“They are there for a reason, so we need to be humble and play our game and do what we’ve been doing,” he added. “This club has had two fantastic seasons and we need to continue that and get back on track by getting a good result over there and then qualifying back at Celtic Park.”

8. TheHappyLoss

Christian , Christian Gamboa
    Lustig is slower
    But he cannae defend
    He'll need replaced in the end

Song for Gamboa :)

Zanderama likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Wanted to give him a chance but that's plenty..

10. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Said it many times before but I just don’t understand why he is constantly been overlooked. Brendan goes on about the importance of having pace in the side but he constantly plays Lustig over Gamboa.

At least Gamboa has pace, energy and offers an attacking threat.

Really thought after he got the two assists against Partick that he would finally get a decent run in the side.

11. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Genuinely think it’s a power thing going on with Rodgers. Fans have been calling for him to play for months now and we know he is good enough but Rodgers wants to show everyone who is boss and play a guy who can’t run. Could be some truth to the added bonus that West Brom get if he plays a certain amount of games for us because there is no other explanation for him not playing . What’s even worse is he is at least on 10 grand a week and most weeks he isn’t even on the bench!

12. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I agree with that.

I just don’t get it at all, Rodgers was the one that signed him at the end of the day. I could understand if it wasn’t his signing but that isn’t the case.

It is clear as day that Gamboa is the best right back we have for our style of play.

Lustig doesn’t even offer much defensively these days so it’s criminal picking him week in week out. We are so one dimensional when Lustig plays its no wonder our form has taken a dip.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    In before he gets thrown in the deep end again once again in Europe to justify Rodgers decision in not playing him. Hasn't even played 1 league game this season and only 1 league cup game (where he got 2 assists). If he does start I'm still confident he will do better than the guy who gets picked ahead of him week in week out.

jj81 likes this.
  15. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Not good enough,I'm afraid. Terrible at defending. Absolutely no composure whatsoever.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Should be sold. New RB. Lustig as backup.

17. Celtic Bhoy 94

He’s fast...... that’s it really

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That challenge for their goal. Brushed aside like a 5 year old..

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I will never question Rodgers again on his choice to play Lustig over this guy, easily one of the worst performances at fullback since Du Ri.

20. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    childish gambino

NomDePlum likes this.