1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I've been playing & following tennis the majority of my life, more so than even football. And it goes without saying that there are significant & egregious double standards when it comes to gender, particularly in tennis. However, I remember Serena when she first started playing as a child and I've not forgotten her petulance and inability to give credit to opponents so I don't believe you can have it both ways. You can't be boorish and unsportsmanlike and then claim sexism while lying about what happened - she fully lost the plot tonight and couldn't have happened to a more deserving tennis player IMHO

Upstaging the quiet unassuming kid who grew up idolizing her, you couldn't make this up. Moreover, all 3 infractions she was guilty of and she lied during her tirade to the umpire about but that will not likely make most US headlines

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The sooner the williams brothers retire from tennis the better.

cmpunk1888, Nasser, scootz and 3 others like this.
  3. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Good luck tonight to Del Potro,after his massive injury problems that have blighted his career in a huge way,go on pal get a 2nd US Open title!

4. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Djokovic looks to have this wrapped up now, will require something phenomenal from Del Potro to win from two sets down.

5. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Serena was way out of line and all 3 code violations were valid, however, let’s not pretend for a minute that the umpire would’ve took a game from Federer/natal/Djokovic for the same misdemeanour.

At that stage of the match it was a very poor thing to do.

6. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Congratulations on slam 14 for Djokovic, don’t like the guy but he gets the job done when it matters :50:

Serbian Rebel likes this.
  7. scootz

Serena has made an * of herself. You cannae call an Umpire a 'thief' and a 'liar' and not expect trouble!

The gender-sympathising sycophants have also made an * of themselves. There was no misogynistic agenda at play here - she acted like a spoilt brat and it came back to bite her on her considerable *!

8. scootz

That nearly made me choke on my coffee! *!

:56:

The Prof likes this.
  9. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Christ... you should have seen Twitter after the meltdown.

Some * (who got something like 80k 'likes') claiming that Serena is not just the best tennis player ever (which she isn't) but is the best sporting figure of all time because she's had a wean, something Messi hasn't done. :celtman2:

Mr. Fawlty and scootz like this.
  10. scootz

Messi gave birth to a GOAT!

The IRA likes this.
  11. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    He Djokovic's da? :brendy:

scootz likes this.
  12. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    The state of some so-called journalists literally applauding her rambling soapbox press conference afterwards. Should hand in their accreditation and quit as they're nothing more than paid cheerleaders at that point - no professional standards and incapable of objectivity.

All of the racism and sexism in the world - a lot of which Williams has undoubtedly faced at various points - can never justify her display of bullying and intimidation: "you'll never be on another court of mine as long as you live." Strangely enough that particular line has largely been glossed over by the fawning press as it doesn't suit the sinned-against-Serena narrative. WTA are pathetic for throwing the guy under the bus for just doing his job afterwards, all to appease the only genuine superstar of their side of the sport.

13. Nasser

Venus is alright, Serena however makes Bono look humble, horrible fat cow.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG]

A lot of people are (rightly) upset with this racist, degrading and sexist cartoon after the final. Plenty of moronic sexist comments about Williams as well, including in this thread.

Found Sue Barker's comments on it interesting too:

"But Serena in some ways has a point in the fact that I've sat courtside watching the men ranting at umpires and (they) haven't been given a violation. Both have a point.

"Serena is saying the male players can say what they like to an umpire. Also, earlier in the tournament we saw Alize Cornet being given a code violation for changing her shirt on-court. Then, in the same tournament, Mohamed Lahyani gets off the umpires' chair to talk to Nick Kyrgios and persuade him not to give up on a match.

"So I think they have to look at the rules of what is allowed and what isn't, because I just think he was following the rules absolutely by the book, but sometimes the book has to be re-written - you can't have one rule for some players, and some umpires don't adhere to it and allow players to get away with things.

"I think they just have to be fair to the players. Tennis was the loser.

"I wouldn't want to see it, but if it's coming to things like this, it's ruining the game - if they can't adhere to the rules, then they'll have to allow the coaching.

"I think the WTA, the ATP and the ITF have to get together. It can't be a grey area any more, and maybe there has to be a supervisor that comes on to have the final say, before you give a game away."

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  16. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    It’s well documented he’s given violations to many male tennis players, there’s no pretending

With a 3rd infraction that’s precisely the stage when a game penalty is given and not the first time it’s happened to a player. Amusing to me few focusing on how a player 20 years on the tour refused to focus on getting herself back into the match rather than continuing to berate and effectively dare the umpire to penalize her - particularly with both her past successes and penalties for poor sportsmanship

cidermaster and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  17. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Yes i agree his Behaviour was a total disgrace,shame on Mr Williams and his * is that big they had to close the roof!:56:

18. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    I agree entirely with you, serena’s behaviour was atrocious and she deserved to be punished. He’d never have done that to a man at that point in a grand slam final is my point.

19. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    There's absolutely no way to credibly make this conclusion considering no other male tennis player has been in a similar predicament in a Grand Slam Final - namely, on the verge of a game penalty after a warning & point penalty. However, there are several cases of male tennis players not only being given a game penalty but also being defaulted from a tournament (McEnroe the first).

My point being, there's absolutely no evidence to support the spurious claim that sexism was involved with the actions of the umpire

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Governing body of women's tennis have backed Serena's claims:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45468290

Plenty others still saying that it wasn't sexist, though. Although there's a bit at the bottom of the article that states that the women's double winners were rushed off the court without being able to make an acceptance speech.

AnnoniOnAnawNoo likes this.