1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

A Match For Cancer, Sat 8th Sept, KO 2pm at Celtic Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Aug 21, 2018.

Discuss A Match For Cancer, Sat 8th Sept, KO 2pm at Celtic Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Bonobhoy

Anything on the players playing? who?

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Shay Given

Artur Boruc

Scott Brown

Henrik Larsson

Lubo Moravcik

Paddy McCourt

John Hartson

Joos Valgaeren

Johan Mjallby

Robbie Keane

Tosh McKinlay

Jackie McNamara

Simon Donnelly

Gareth Barry

Hristo Stoichkov

Luis Garcia

Gaizka Mendieta

Maxwell

Martin Compston

Milner's Team

Chris Kirkland, Stephen Warnock, John Arne Riise, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Jason McAteer, Jamie Redknapp, Jimmy Bullard, Emile Heskey, Owen Hargreaves, Dirk Kuyt, Peter Crouch, Alan Smith and Neil Mellor.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AS anticipation builds ahead of Saturday’s ‘A Match for Cancer’, Jurgen Klopp is eagerly anticipating his first visit to Paradise.

A Match for Cancer, sponsored by Dafabet and Laduma, kicks off at 2pm and will see Celtic legend, Stiliyan and Liverpool midfielder, James Milner pull together opposing squads from the worlds of football and entertainment.

Every penny raised will be devoted to tackling cancer through three equal beneficiary charities - Celtic FC Foundation, The Stiliyan Petrov Foundation and The James Milner Foundation.

Liverpool Manager, Jürgen Klopp will take charge of James Milner’s squad on the day and he had a message for the Celtic support and Celtic manager, Brendan Rodgers ahead of the charity match.

He said: “I’m really excited and looking forward to it. It’ll be my first time in your wonderful, famous stadium and my first time in Glasgow in general. So it’s a big day for me and hopefully a very nice day for all of you.”

The German knows that although he will be in the dugout for Saturday, he may not always be calling the shots when it comes to his squad, suggesting that his captain, James Milner, will be keen to have his say.

“James Milner is a very demanding person, so he will probably tell me, ‘He plays there, he plays there etc.’ but it will be fun for sure.”

The Liverpool boss was in a jovial mood ahead of the clash, highlighting that he is particularly looking forward to seeing his ‘landlord’, in reference to Celtic manager and Klopp’s predecessor at Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers, who will manage Stiliyan Petrov’s squad.

He added: “I think it’s the first time we’ve met since Brendan left Liverpool and I came here. We have a lot of things to talk about. The plumbing issues, the electricity, the pool.

“Brendan, I hope you’re in good shape and we can sort a few things.”

With the match set to be a fun-filled occasion, Jurgen Klopp was also quick to highlight the importance of the causes which will benefit from the funds raised.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing you all there, it will be great and it’s for something good, don’t forget that.”

neilly1987 likes this.
  5. Paradise88

I take it Stevie G has dropped out since he was on the team originally

6. Da-HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny Fergus McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Foggy Dew
    He is to busy looking for his * which was handed to him on Sunday by Brendan ... the dafty must have dropped on his way home with his tail between his legs.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LENNOXTOWN was a quieter place today, with many of the first-team squad away on international squad, but assistant manager, Chris Davies, and the rest of the coaching team put the remainder of the players through their paces.

There is no domestic football this weekend, due to the latest round of international fixtures, but there’s still a match at Paradise on Saturday, September 8 (KO: 2pm).

‘A Match For Cancer’ takes place this weekend, featuring a Stiliyan Petrov squad taking on a team selected by James Milner. The name of the game is, of course, raising money for charity, and with Brendan Rodgers and Jurgen Klopp in the respective dugouts, it’s sure to be an entertaining event.

Speaking at the club’s training ground today, Chris Davies said: “It’s for a very important cause and it’s going to be a great day with some really big names turning up and getting involved.

“Stan’s someone who is spoken about highly here by former colleagues and players. Milly (James Milner) was with us at Liverpool for a short time and has had a fantastic career at a lot of big clubs and is still going strong, so hopefully it’ll be a good day. But the cause itself is what’s most important.

“I’m sure Brendan’s looking forward to seeing Jurgen so it should be a good day. As long as he’s paid his rent on time then everything will be all right!”

HAVING called time on an outstanding international career, this weekend Celtic captain, Scott Brown won’t be joining up with his compatriots, instead he will be joining Stiliyan Petrov and a host of other famous faces on Saturday, at Celtic Park, to take part in ‘A Match For Cancer’.

Sponsored by Dafabet and Laduma, the match kicks off at 2pm and will see Celtic legend, Stiliyan and Liverpool midfielder, James Milner pull together opposing squads from the worlds of football and entertainment.

Every penny raised will be devoted to tackling cancer through three equal beneficiary charities - Celtic FC Foundation, The Stiliyan Petrov Foundation and The James Milner Foundation.

Following another fantastic derby victory last Sunday, Scott is now looking ahead to the charity match and was quick to hail the support of the Celtic fans.

He said: “The supporters were absolutely tremendous on Sunday, as they always are. They created a brilliant atmosphere as always, and their support gives the team a real boost.

“I have absolutely no doubt that they will get behind ‘A Match For Cancer’, they always do, and make it a really special occasion here at Celtic Park.”

Set to feature in Stiliyan Petrov’s squad for the match, Scott was keen to highlight his admiration for both Stiliyan and James Milner, as well as the causes which will benefit from the funds raised.

“Stiliyan and James have been outstanding footballers over the years but first and foremost they are both wonderful human beings. The work that their Foundations are doing is incredible.

“I know the devastation that is caused by cancer and the funds raised from this match will help to make a real positive difference to the lives of so many patients and their families.

“It’s an absolute honour to be playing my part and I’m looking forward to a great day.”

8. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    Hope it all goes well and there is a decent turnout.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JAMIE Redknapp spent 11 years at Anfield in the red of Liverpool, while he has also run out at Celtic Park – and he will be in Paradise once more this weekend to take part in A Match For Cancer.

The game, featuring teams selected by Stiliyan Petrov and James Milner to raise funds for cancer charities, kicks off at 2pm this Saturday.

And Redknapp will don the red once more as he takes to the hallowed turf and, as we found out when he spoke exclusively to Saturday’s charity match programme, he’s ready to thrill again at the magic of players such as Lubo Moravcik.

Are you looking forward to coming back?
    Of course! I missed the game at Celtic Park when Steve McManaman scored a great individual goal in the UEFA Cup. I think I was suspended or something so I didn’t get many chances to play at Celtic Park. I thought it’d be a great thing to get involved in. I broke my wrist about seven weeks ago filming A League of Their Own, so I wasn’t sure if I could play. There’s a pin in it so it’s not quite healed up but I should be all right to play a bit as long as I don’t fall and injure it again, that’s all I need! My knee’s not great but I’m sure with a lot of the ex-players they’re all a bit of a mess these days anyway!

It’s not the first time you’ve played here, though, as you were involved in Stiliyan’s last charity match…
    That was great fun. I was always a big fan of Lubo Moravcik and loved watching him play when he was at Celtic. It’s going to be fun to get the boots on again and obviously Jurgen Klopp’s involved. I spoke to Scott Brown the other day and I told him not to kick me! He’s a good lad. I like Scotty, he’s such a competitor. He messaged me the other day when he heard I was coming up for the game and I told him to go easy on me. I can’t wait for the game. I’m looking forward to it. They’re all great lads.

And, of course, it’s all for a good cause…
    Absolutely. It’s very easy to say you’re going to do a bit for charity but actually when you physically do it and make an effort, it’s outstanding. They’re both great lads and if they make a call and ask you to come out, you just do it. It’s as simple as that. They’re nice lads and deserve everything they get. To do it for a charity and put yourself out there is fantastic. For me to turn up and give a little bit of my time is a privilege. It’s one of those ones, as well, to play at Celtic Park with the fans and everything that goes with it. I can’t wait. For Jurgen to give up his time as well. It’s a weekend when he can have time off and go and have a quick break but he’s decided to come which says a lot about him and Brendan. These games are great but for the fans to go and put their hands in their pocket, come out and watch, they deserve a lot of credit. On behalf of everyone, I just want to say a massive thank you because they’re the ones putting their hands in their pocket.

It’s great to see the work Stan and James are doing as well as Celtic FC Foundation…
    When you see what Stan went through as a player, it brings it home. You look at some players and think they’re superhuman. What a player Stan Petrov was at Celtic, Aston Villa and Bulgaria - midfield maestro and box-to-box. How can he be affected by something like that? It just shows you everyone can be affected. There’s not someone in our lives that’s not been devastated by cancer so the more money that can get raised for charity the better. This is why I’ve got so much respect for what James and Stan are doing. Celtic as well because they’re hosting the game in the first place. If Celtic didn’t accommodate their stadium on a weekend off for everyone then this game wouldn’t be happening. A lot of people deserve a huge amount of respect for this. So for us it’s not a hardship giving up a bit of time to come and play at Celtic Park. Hopefully we can make for a good game for the fans. When they see Moravcik rolling the ball over his foot then I think, hopefully, they’ll say it was worth it.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FRESH from delivering yet another win in the Glasgow derby, Brendan Rodgers looked ahead to 'A Match For Cancer' this Saturday.

Sponsored by Dafabet and Laduma, the game kicks off at 2pm and will see Celtic legend, Stiliyan Petrov and Liverpool midfielder, James Milner pull together opposing squads from the worlds of football and entertainment.

Brendan will take charge of the Petrov squad on Saturday and he is looking forward to meeting up with his tenant… and UEFA Champions League final manager Jurgen Klopp, and is eagerly awaiting another great day at Celtic Park, with charity at its core.

The manager said: “My players have put so much work into the last few weeks and it was really pleasing that their determination and the intensity of their work delivered another great and well deserved win for us on Sunday in the derby.

“We performed exceptionally again to earn the three points, with some great football and a tremendous spirit.

“This weekend is a chance to give some of the players a little bit of a well-earned rest after a really hectic schedule, although so many players will be continuing to work hard for their countries and they will have other challenges ahead of them and we wish them all well over the next few days.

“The weekend also gives us the chance though to do something different and once again use football as the powerful force for good which we know it can be”.

“I am sure that A Match For Cancer will be a great event. Of course I look forward to seeing Jurgen again and we thank him for giving his time to be involved in the match and it will be a chance too for our supporters to see some wonderful names who have graced football over so many years such as Henrik, Robbie Keane, Artur Boruc, Owen Hargreaves, Jamie Redknapp and so many others. There really is a wonderful group of players who are contributing to the day.

“But most importantly this is a chance for us to make a difference to a great cause.”

He added: “We have a number of beneficiaries we are supporting, all of which do such brilliant work in tackling cancer and supporting so many people who have been affected by this terrible disease. So much work goes on by so many in this area and I know how committed Stiliyan and James are to helping these great causes.

“Stiliyan has come through his own battle so bravely over the last few years and the way he and James, through his own Foundation, are working to help others is an example to us all.

“Their passion for this cause is something which everyone involved in the match shares personally and we are delighted to be doing what we can to assist in this event which I know will ultimately deliver important help to children and adults affected by cancer.

“We look forward to seeing as many fans as possible at the match and we sincerely thank everyone attending the game for such brilliant support.”

We have already sold around 20,000 tickets for this charity match, which is once again a fantastic response to this great cause. It shows the huge level of commitment by so many people to the work of Stilyian, James and our Foundation.

Tickets will be on sale throughout today and right up until kick-off tomorrow and we would encourage any supporters who wish to attend to get hold of their tickets as soon as possible to enjoy a great day. Stilyian, James, everyone at the Club and Celtic FC Foundation thank those in advance who have purchased tickets. Your supported is greatly appreciated.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. strachansdaman

so what's the deal if you have a ticket for the top tier is it just go in and find a seat

14. gandolf

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc and Mick
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    I'd be phoning celtic ticket office.

15. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    You lean toward the rangers side aye mate? That the * graveside? Theyre deed. Ya * walloper

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Norm Peterson

Eh? :39:

18. Norm Peterson

Hopefully there will be a decent turnout, but from what I'm hearing we'll be lucky if CP is even a third full...

19. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm off today and feel guilty that I'm not going. :confused:

RiquelmeCSC likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member