1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our manager's ambition

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by muaythai postie, Aug 8, 2018.

Discuss Our manager's ambition in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

No point getting het up because we lost out on Mcginn. We don't know what happened between the clubs and it's no big deal him not coming to Celtic.
    The board are business people, look after the pennies etc etc , BR is a football man and their thought processes are very much different. I have confidence that new signings will arrive, I just hope those new arrivals will be playing CL football this season and not be coming in too late to actually help us achieve that.

2. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I get where you are coming from mate but the McGinn issue isn’t whether or not he would drastically improve the team, it’s the fact that clearly Brendan wanted him and the board haggled to the point of losing him over, if reports are to be believed, a few 100k. Coupled with Brendan’s recent interviews, I would say it’s clear there’s a disconnect between his plans and what the board are willing to sanction. That’s the concern. We are financially in a strong position and like many have said, including Brendan, this is the time to be building and investing to take us up a level. We aren’t talking about hundreds of millions, I would say 3 solid 4-5m signings that are going to immediately improve the first team would get us there. Edouard is one, but net spend was about a million on that so a little bit of ambition would both improve the team and also show us fans that the board are willing to push the boat out. We don’t expect miracles, just a bit of ambition.

Samurai Bhoy likes this.
  3. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks following Brendan's subtle warning in terms of player investment. It is difficult to understand why the board has little difficulty in investing money in other areas while ignoring the more important elements of strengthening the squad. I hate to envisage the fan outrage if this resulted in BR calling it a day. It would equal the fans collective rage demonstrated at the time of the Kelly/White regime , none of us want to see that again, the next few weeks will be crucial.

4. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There would be an uproar by the fans and rightly so,the board would be lynched if they forced rodgers out the door with this *.

Bertie Cauld and kevza like this.
  5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Right now BR's focus MUST be on a CB and a RB.

These are essential signings which he has frankly neglected to address over 5 windows now

Whether we had players identified and PL failed to bring them in is moot imo

The fact is the only serious movment weve seen to fix this issue is two bargain bin duds at CB and the imminent return of player whose legs were gone 2 years ago

WEve also needed REAL competition for GK for a 4 years now and the closest weve got to that is another bargain bin signing who will be an adequate cover at best.

Right now BR is driving a Bugatti Veyron with a bridgestone on the backleft, and wobbly wheel on the back right,one front tire doesn't quite fit the wheel and the other has actually fell off and is lying on the side of the road after bursting into flames. We aint winning any CL races anytime soon. (pardon the clumsy analogy :giggle1:)

Bottom line as previously posted, BR and the board need to get their collective heads out of their hole and start surgery on a backline thats been crying out for an upgrade for far too long

Failure by all parties to address this is quite simply * treasonous and is tantamount to * masochism

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    The lights are obnoxious and too bright in my opinion.

7. wulliebad

Can't say i'm surprised that is your opinion.

8. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    They're genuinely annoying from where I sit anyway :56:

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well, the football has to take precedence over the business.

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The thing is football has not been like that for years, and it never will be whether you want it to be or not. Football clubs are businesses with share holders and their job is to make profits. Our shares are worth about double than what they were 5 years ago. Think of it as Irn Bru had to make some sad changes because of the * Oliver tax, sad for the customers but from a business view needed.

11. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Football isn't a typical business, though. If the board think about profits that much, they might lose it all, with empty seats doing the damage.

12. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    That's what Murray done over at the huns and didn't work out to well, its the business that puts a team on the park and it the team on the park that creates the business both are in twined

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Westlondonscot likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The business needs to be set up to support the football side, not be a hindrance towards it.

Brendan Rodgers first 18 months there? Perfect way to run a club. The last 6 months? That’s a business hindering the football.

StPauli1916 and Rendog like this.
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    They aim for profits, then yeah it is a typical business. None of us like what football has become but it is what it is and we have to accept it. No escaping it, I go to watch 8th tier English football and teams in those leagues are run like businesses to.

15. joemc

If there was any evidence needed about the managers clout at our club ,then not cashing in on boyata ,and basically letting millions fall out your hands to replace at br call, says more than anything ,it shows he has control of the team despite profit margins .

16. dmccourt95

I don’t understand how we had a 7 mill deal agreed for a right back but lost out and then haven’t went on to another target surely we would’ve had a list of right backs to go for in that region of fee if the first one never worked out

17. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Hardly two days ago mate. Now, two months ago we had just signed a 9m striker and were fresh from a double treble. Its hardly hysteria, this has been slowly building all summer.

A whole close season has went by. we're well into vital CL qualifiers, and what the club surely must have known would have been our most difficult to date. . We've even started our domestic campaign. All this and the only thing we've managed so far is to conclude a deal that was already in place from last year.

Now, because of this Ill preparation, it does look like we will be exiting the champions league. This happening before we' ve even had the chance to reap any benefits from this supposed English window closing master plan. Which tbh is a lot of *, wether it's true or not.

I entirely agree with you on the john mcginn thing but surely there must be other targets identified. Brendan Rodgers has voiced his displeasure and rightly so, but probably at the wrong time tbf.

This could be him starting to work his ticket And people are rightly voicing there concerns.

18. Samurai Bhoy

I see where you’re coming from mate. All I’m saying is, two days ago, two months ago, today, not much has changed! We’re still double treble champs and in a very positive position in general.

I know the McGinn deal, and the draw with Athens, and even the huns winning last night has put a sour taste in some people’s mouths.

I understand, and feel the same way, about how the board * about on this deal but it’s clear that there was a conflict of opinions between management and the board.
    This * happens in every line of work, it doesn’t necessarily mean BR is going to walk (not yet anyway)

Maybe BR wanted McGinn and he told the board that he’s the man to replace Broony, then the board turn around and say “wait a minute, last year we spunked 3m on Kouassi, who you said was supposed to take over the Brown role, and he’s been sitting on his * the last 18 months doing * all, why should we throw another 4m on a player who has played most of his career in the Scottish championship and is totally unproven?”

Look, BR is the best coach/manager I’ve seen at Celtic in my life, including the MON era, but he’s not infallible and is prone to making mistakes in the transfer market.
    The board have every right to question his opinions and make sure the money goes on the right players.

Also, in fairness, we did sign two CBs in January, so we can’t say we weren’t preparing for this scenario.
    Fair enough neither signing has worked out, so far, but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.

All I’m saying is, I know people are concerned, as am I, but it’s not panic stations just yet.

PS. Saying all that, I am liable to have a completely different outlook if we lose next Tuesday :fear:

19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Youre talking as of the McGinn deal was the be all and end all of supporters frustrations.

It isnt.

Its mainly brought forth alot more volume to voices that were already sceptical.

I didnt want McGinn, certainly not at 4m. I thought the club was wasting energy on a player who as it currently stands doesn't improve our starting 11.

But to for a CL side with a worldwide fan base to lose out on a player who supposedly mad about said club to a championship side in one of the worst cities in western europe is absolutely scandalous and indicative of the behavior that has brought in * like Jack Hendry.

You say "in fairness" two CB's were brought in to prepare for the qualification scenarios. If thats our preparation for a 40m windfall then were *.

Many voices including my own questioned the signing of compper, why was he surplus to requirements at Leipzig? Why was he more or less completely left out of the squad during his last campaign? Why was he so cheap? Why were we signing a player whose age didnt fit our model and whose wages would have the potential to hinder further signings?

It was the same with Hendry only much more frustrated. Why the * were we signing a league 1 journeyman surplus at * wigan. How does this 23 year old develop to the level required at his age. wHy the * are we wasting money on pish?

The writing has been on the wall for a while and we're on the verge of being dumped out of the CL, purely based on our frailty at the back and the mediocre attempts to stop the bleeding with a band aid.

Rodgers can harp on all he likes about his ambitions but if he had the foresight to fix this mess at the back then I would be a bit more relaxed about the whole thing.

20. Samurai Bhoy

I mentioned the Mcginn deal because that’s when it seems like all this negativity creeped in, and I mentioned the two CBs signed in January in response to the people who think we’ve been just looking at MFs and strikers and neglecting the defence.

I agree that Compper and Hendry were never going to be good enough, (I hope to be proven wrong though) and that Mcginn would have been an equally inept signing, but my main point was that everyone is trying to pinpoint the blame somewhere. Either the board being to stingy or BR’s inability to spot a defender.
    Either way the problem has not been properly addressed.

We need to realise that the board and BR both want the best for Celtic, and stop trying to find a scapegoat, because both sides have * up on occasion.

I know we, as fans, can’t do much to influence any decisions but I’m just saying we shouldn’t jump to the conclusion that one party is to blame, without knowing the whole facts about what goes on behind the scene, and create a hysteria that might creep into the management and players from the stands.

I just hope that, between the lot of them, that they realise how * threadbare we are at the back and * do something about it.