1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our manager's ambition

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by muaythai postie, Aug 8, 2018.

Discuss Our manager's ambition in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ddub11

Not saying they will win the league but with them bringing in players(as bad as they are)i think they will close the gap.

I work in a bookie and a bookie will always take your money(terms and conditions apply).

2. dmac

The Irony is that these new lights were put in for Champions League nights to give a better experience when all we want is a team able to compete at that level

DoTheBroony and G_portillo like this.
  3. oh bhoy

The manager demanding more from the board especially with the success he has had is definitely a good thing.what could the likes of Lennon or deila done in a similar situation nothing.
    Rodgers rightfully said the team is weaker and haven't even replaced the players hes lost before looking to improve the team.Rodgers is doing his job the guys incharge of the transfers ain't doing theirs .the msm would love to portray this as a major crisis which it aint.

sevco won't close the gap on aberdeen

ddub11 likes this.
  4. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    well if double figures is closing the gap fair enough.

ddub11 likes this.
  5. ArmchairGeorge Gold Member Gold Member

Think theres a bit of an overreaction, I dont think having McGinn in the team would have allowed us to win against Athens yesterday. But i do think Rodgers and the scouts have a blind spot for defenders. We havent had a solid defender since Van Dijk, and i know he may have been a lucky find, but for the money Rodgers is spending compared to Lennon; £4m on Ntcham, 9m Eduaord, 3m for Kouassi!?, then he should be identifying better quality.

I think for people to want Peter Lawwell out of the club is mental with all the chancers who are around in football at the minute, i wouldnt risk the board being in anyone elses hands. We would regret it as soon as the stadium is renamed after some stupid brand and dont turn any profits each year.

Batigol and Westlondonscot like this.
  6. combi Gold Member Gold Member

Spot on

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The point is whether you rate McGinn or not, Rodgers wanted him and didn’t get him.. (McGinn could have been ideal for Sat v the Wee Huns with Ntcham or Brown rested for Athens)

Bringing Izzy back, surely we could have brought in a better LB, the Rosenberg lad Meling impressed two years in a trot for example (as others have mentioned too)

Another 2yr loan, may be exciting but it’s catch22 if he does really well he’ll be off.. so is a bit, meh..

Still no RB which should have been sorted well before now, why? It’s a position that BR identified immediately as a weakness brought in Gamboa and doesn’t play him, prematurely talks up Ralston and continues with Lustig who’s legs have gone for two years now(probably why Gamboa was brought in, in the first place).. for me Brendan takes the blame for this one. Should have had a suitable RB in well before last night.

The last Jan window was particularly negligent, with Compper & Hendry inadequate defensive cover for different reasons, as of yet at least, as Hendry may still make it(although his character will need to be strong). The hype around Musonda another 2yr loan masking the poor window. With Bain being the exception a good acquisition for me.

The positive signings of Ntcham, Dembele, Sinclair, Edouard.. in comparison to our defensive signings Gamboa, Compper, Hendry & the exception, Troure.. says it all quite brutally imo.. it’s no surprise we have better attackers than defenders under BR. However can he recognise that Boyata and Simunovic aren’t actually that good either..

So for me, BR is not absolutely absorbed of all blame for going into last night with a back three of Hendry, Ajer & Lustig..

Still time to get players in, but are we actually looking to strengthen in the areas that are so glaringly in need, to most of us & don’t get me started on Gordon..

Edouard, is a big statement but we need to match players like him and their ambition or what s the point..

Start acting like a CL club, it’s not our rite but we take too many gambles and this season it may have bitten us badly.

Batigol likes this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Won't be healthy if we are averaging 45k it won't.... What made them go for Rodgers in first place fans were dropping

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Bertie Cauld likes this.
  9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Rodger has done his job with the team has turned them around since Delia the board are not helping agreed but Rodgers will need to take wee bit of blame on the recruitment side... Congerton was his man and the track record has been abysmal. Commper musonda de vries whilst the lawell connection did get us Roberts denayer for a time ntcham * boyata think lawells son has a better eye for players than congerton who is Brendans man maybe the problem is the board are not willing to spend because they dont feel comfortable parting cash on congerton suggestions either that or they are using it as an excuse both sides of management are to blame at this juncture instead of being a team they are all being self interested

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Batigol likes this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He was given a loaded question by that outer space baldy * from the BBC.

oh bhoy likes this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Gaffer has fired the salvo up to the board now.

Aye asked about how the arzani deal came about he replied "that doesn't matter he is a talent"

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Get what Brendan is saying difficult financially but with £40m in the bank and £7m overdraft on top of that surely spending £15m of that would have been viable

Rydo1888* and Cumbernauld Bhoy67 like this.
  13. thetic19

Tbf it was brendan who signed hendry and comper not the board

JC Anton and littlekennie like this.
  14. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    who signed Edouard,Ntcham,Dembele then the board ? Sinclair was definitely Brendans signing as he worked with him before as Kolo Toure.

15. M 67

Holy mother of * - I’ve been out the country so haven’t been on here, missed the game on Tues and no seen much news stories. But it seems like our season is over already with some of this patter. Brendan isn’t going anywhere, we’ll get a few players signed now that the English window is shut (rightly or wrongly), and we still have a chance of the CL group stages. Aye there might be a wee tiff between the gaffer and board, but there’s no a civil war despite what some numpties have suggested! I don’t know if the goings on across in govan has spooked folk, but there’s no need to hit the panic button yet ffs!

Devlin and JC Anton like this.
  16. Sentinel

The CL is our season to a large extent. That money is so important to us. SPL and the rest we should be walking with ease. Everything about this club deserves CL football and the people who are running the club seem completely oblivious to it.

Anyone with half a brain could see rightback and centreback were an absolute priority upgrade and nothing has been done about it yet again.

Come on man. Don't just do the happy clappy. Fans are rightly angry with this. We are getting short-changed over and over again with the inactions of the club in regards to where we ought to be right now.

I am under no illusions regards being able to compete in the CL, but just getting there is a must. We have * it, as I said in the 'Will we win in Athens thread', AEK are too organised.

I'm going to stop posting now, because I am getting wound up by how * obvious it was that this would happen and all of us are completely impotent in being able to do anything about it. People running the transfers should be sacked - NOW!

17. m8ybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail the Celts are here
    BR has always been concise about his ambitions, continued improvement etc

He had also stated that of course he will have another job beyond Celtic, but he loves the club.

Take away his chance of continued improvement on the field, his chances of self-improvement and rising reputation decrease.

Chip away at his reputation and I’m pretty sure his love for the Celtic job will plummet also.

You can see where this is going.

BR always had a shelf life at Celtic, he’s better than the SPL, of course he is. But the only thing I suspect he feels he can achieve here now is a better run and improved results in Europe. No Europe, no Brendan.

Another 3 seasons to complete 10iar. 3 seasons is a long time, especially given how quickly things can sour at a club - even on the back of success.

European football would, IMO, be the carrot on the stick to keep BR hungry at Celtic. Not qualifying for the CL wouldn’t be a disaster, but not strengthening the squad to have a good crack at the Europa would be.

BR would just think, well what’s the point? He’s said it himself, he won’t stand still. And if you’re not standing, you’re walking - and that’s exactly what he’ll do unless we give him the belief.

shaunbhoy67 likes this.
  18. wulliebad

Think everyone needs to forget about the fecking lights,we have to have some upgrades from time to time and in that one respect the board are doing great.
    Im hoping there will be 1 or 2 more in this window and the media are again just trying to blow this up all to * as they just love a good celtic in trouble story.

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    To be fair i thought it was good, clever journalism and he answer given by BR told its own story.

I think its assuring in a weird paradoxical way, for the fans to know that BR isnt satisfied as if he were to seem content it would create even more hysteria and disillusionment amoungst the fans.

Lawell and the board have to back the manager who has brought two trebles in two seasons and who reversed the decline of the Deila era.

20. Samurai Bhoy

Jesus Christ, this place has gone into total hysteria!
    Two days ago we were on top of the world, double treble champs, just signed a 9m striker, playing beautiful flowing football, had just smashed the champions of Norway, who we struggled against last year, and were riding the crest of a wave right to the CL group stages, not to mention opening up a 2 point gap on our two closest rivals in the league after just one game.

All of a sudden, we fail to land McGinn, an unproven at a decent level, bang average SPL player (IMO) and are held to a draw by the very organised Greek champions, despite being by far the better team (even before the red card).

Next thing the whole world is falling down, BR is out the door, we’re out of the CL and the Rangers are coming for us.

Let’s have a bit of perspective, our plan this year was always to wait til the English transfer window closed before doing our main business, we still have loads of time to make transfers.

We’re still in the chase for a CL spot, an early goal over there and we are in the driving seat.

And, the * Rangers are still miles behind us!