1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    What's unpopular is ultimately subjective and some of these might be quite common but I thought I'd share them anyway.

Lennoxtown is a stunning setting but the actual training centre building is absolutely awful looking. A wasted opportunity to build something that would have been breath-taking given the surroundings. It annoys me every time I look at it.

Those Celtic bloggers whose primary focus is the Huns are * tragic.

Although he's an ex-Hun, relatively speaking, I don't really mind Ally McCoist.

You'll Never Walk Alone is a great anthem, sounds better at Parkhead than any other European arena, but it doesn't feel like our song.

There should be an official memorial of some kind to Celtic players who fell in both world wars - albeit it should be primarily concerned with their status as Celtic players and not as monuments to British imperialism or even to the British military more generally. It is a fact that some Celtic players died in these wars, this cannot be airbrushed from history - but it should be commemorated in a way that is sensitive to the club's history, is sufficiently distanced from the official 'Remembrance' farce and which does not allow us to be negatively stigmatised or even worse, be patronised about 'not knowing our history'.

2. Jeremie Frimpong

I agree with all of those apart from You’ll Never Walk Alone. It’s certainly our song, whether we sang it first or not.

martin_d and Jax Teller like this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Maloney should have been persona non-grata and never re-employed as player or coach after he signed a precontract with Villa after years of Celtic standing by him through injuries.

Liam II JP, Overkill187 and Gabriel like this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Your second one definitely shouldn't be unpopular. Any Celtic site regular updating on Hun news is embarrassing and I've mentioned that before.

I don't like Just Can't Get Enough. It's cheesy and *.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Martin O'Neill dropped considerably in my estimations when he accepted his OBE.

6. Cupid Stunt

Singing the Soldier's Song in English and adding '* bless the Pope' to it is *.

In fact I find a lot of the add-ons to songs like The Fields of Athenry to be unnecessary as the songs themselves are class and better off left alone.

7. Jeremie Frimpong

It’s fantastic when the supporters sing it, especially when we’re celebrating at big games - it gets people going if nothing else.

The song that the club plays before games is awful though. Is it the singer from Johnny Mac and the Faithful that has that Glasgow Uni accent?

The IRA and CountyDownFaithful like this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Meh. I'm a bit fed up with it tbh.

Yeah he's horrific and the club continually get him for new songs. Suppose they're always gonna be cheesy tjough.

9. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I hate the Stuart Armstrong song. Thankfully it'll disappear when he leaves

Gabriel, Markybhoy and Mr Shelby like this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The banning of the Green Brigade and the way some in the support talked about them after the Linfield game was a disgrace.

Rather than cutting out our politics from football we should be doing it more and standing up for what we believe is right, some things are more important.

11. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Mines would probably be Lustig related, given the fanfare he has on here.

Been my weak-link for a couple of years now.

12. jvalin

I don't want us to start Rogic in difficult european games. Possibly not even Ntcham. Both are too slow (especially Rogic). They cannot press the ball. I'd love to see us play the way Liverpool plays under Klopp. This means no Edouard/Dembele either.

Domestic games are a whole nother story. Most teams are happy to sit back and defend. Rogic-Ntcham-Edouard-Dembele thrive in such type of games.

I'd love to see Sinclair playing as a false 9 (especially in Europe). After all, he was our top scorer this season (2017/18) and our top scorer in the league last season.

- lightning quick
    - can press the ball
    - good finisher (likes curling shots into the far corner)

Sort of a (very) poor man's Thierry Henry.:fear:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(in difficult european games)

........................new GK........................
    new RB.......Boyata......Ajer.......Tierney
    ......McGregor.....Brown.......McGinn......
    Forrest...........Sinclair............Onyekuru*

* an Onyekuru type of player

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  13. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'd agree with that.

Will always have a fondness for MON and his Celtic side, it was my childhood team and the rapport between fans, players and management was the best I've ever felt. However, O'Neill's acceptance of that 'honour' does disappoint me if I'm being completely honest. It won't take away from his achievements but it does kind of take away from the man.

14. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I don't think it's anyone's song. Back in the 70s lots of English fans sang it, it's a myth that it's always been associated with Liverpool. Celtic, however, sing it better than anyone else.

15. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We've been signing it long enough to have a genuine claim on it being an authentic part of our fan culture but there's a part of me that will never feel 100% attached to it for the simple fact that it's synonymous with Liverpool and that connection is stronger and deeper than ours.

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Mate you've taken the concept of this thread too far.

17. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What about Billy McNeil or Henrik Larsson?

18. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I have little respect for the British honours system so I'm never really 'pleased' for anyone who takes one of these 'honours'.

However, I tend to look less favourably upon Irish people who take them as opposed to those who are foreign.

19. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I just can't have 'Sir' Rod Stewart. I hate that he's associated with the club and is our 'most famous' fan. Attends about 1 CL group game and 1 home derby game a season and the cameras focus in on him every 15 mins to see his reactions. Spare me

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Agree with your very first point in not starting Rogic since he doesn’t have the legs but hopefully after the world cup he is upto full fitness and can start.

Ntcham certainly isn’t slow though and has plenty energy.

Your next point coincides with my possibly unpopular opinion in that Sinclair is not good enough for Europe, goes missing majority of the games and misses too many chances. I’ve got a feeling he’s just a 1 season wonder now he’ll just be an inconsistent winger.