1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Wildlife Sightings!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cidermaster, May 22, 2014.

Discuss Your Wildlife Sightings! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I loved that cool little Wood on the Isle of Unst yesterday and the Bonxies:50:

johnboy19 likes this.
  2. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Had two extreme opposites on school run today , heading back to base I saw in a field ( I stopped ) a foal being born . mother looking down and I assume a farmer clearing the membrane away and helping it to its feet , fekkin amazing ! , 2 minutes later I turn a bend and traffic is stopped and folk out their cars , a wee red deer had been hit … still twitching when I got past , fekkin horrible ! . one born one dies .

johnboy19, bagforlife and cidermaster like this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Just realised, after reading the eco paper on the place, my village is a natural habitat for; foxes, deer, bats, otters and voles.

Seen plenty foxes and deer (and horses because there’s a stables) but never any of the other 3.

bagforlife and cidermaster like this.
  4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sounds like an ultra cool place you live in cool Bhoy,best time to see bats is just before and at Dusk,over water like a loch or River can be good or near gardens and trees,openings in woodlands being good as are hedgerows:50:
    First light is the best time to see otter and as for Voles they can be seen at anytime,you can often hear them squeak in the undergrowth.Just keep all your senses on full alert and you just never know?

5. strike twice

In the last week I've seen the following ; A nest of young Starlings being fed by their Dad ( the nest was under the eves of a 2 storey house in the town where I work ) , A Brown Hare bolting across a field . Spotted on my early morning commute . And today I saw a Wood Wasp landing on a hedge as I walked past . First Wood Wasp I've seen for 2 or 3 years . The weather has been hot and dry for weeks now .

bagforlife and johnboy19 like this.
  6. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Saw my first Oystercatchers of the year yesterday. My daughter is laughing at me as she seen her first weeks ago.
    Also, waiting for my daughter coming out from work, I was in the car and was perked in front of a disabled sign in the car park, which is about 3 1/2 ft high. There's no top on it, and I was amazed to see Blue * coming and going with caterpillers for their young.
    It was superb to see, and I hope to see the young fledge.

bagforlife likes this.
  7. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Saw a dead fox at the side of Dumbarton road the day poor thing must’ve been run over

8. strike twice

Yesterday at work I saw 2 Pied Wagtail fledglings ( one on a window ledge , one on a footpath ) . They looked like they had just fallen out of their nest , sitting still and quiet , and their eyes hardly open . I left them to " find their feet " , and let nature take it's course . I had a young Hare run along in front of me , before turning sharply into a hedgerow , on my commute this morning ( circa 6.15 ) .

bagforlife and johnboy19 like this.
  9. strike twice

3 sightings to announce to the forum today .1 , A Red Squirrel at work , climbing a tree very close to me , whilst at work . 2 , A Heron wading slowly mid stream in the river Isla . I saw it from the top flight of a double decker . 3 , A genuine sighting of a LION . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . when I was in M. and S. ( Perth High street ) this afternoon . I was delighted to spot Jim Craig , Celtic right back from the famous Lisbon Lions . I was rushing for a bus , so didn't have time to shake his hand and stop for a chat .

10. Heb Celt

Some lizards thingies and 2 seagulls.

11. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I saw 2 sets of sea ducks with a string of babies swimming along behind :49:

Dalbeth3, cidermaster and bagforlife like this.
  12. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

What’s sea ducks @Jeannie960

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I think they're actually called Eider ducks. Just ducks that live in the swell of the sea. According to the spring watch program they eat mussels and things like that. I didn't know that was the type until I actually saw them on TV then I'm going look there's our ducks :56:

cidermaster, johnboy19 and bagforlife like this.
  14. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Ha ha brilliant Jeannie

cidermaster likes this.
  15. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Male Eider Ducks are stunningly beautiful birds. I love that greeny colour they have

16. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    The males looked more white with a touch of black to me but then I was watching them from a distance :56:The females looked kind of browney. Funny to see the male ducks puffing their chests out like pigeons and the female duck selecting which one she wanted :56:

bagforlife likes this.
  17. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They mainly are black and white Jeannie, but they have greeny patches on the back of their necks. Beautiful birds.

cidermaster likes this.
  18. JimMc

Not got them in Ireland.
    Saw one when living abroad a few years ago, fascinating creature.

Kicking back some strimmed long grass around a pear tree the other day and a wee rabbit probably around 3 weeks old emerges and runs off slowly for cover. They are a pest but the wee ones are fair cute.
    Have a crows nest in a chimney where the cover blew off in the wind, just a reminder to people to sweep their chimneys before you light a fire in the autumn. I made a mistake a few years back of sweeping a chimney at end of season, forgetting birds nest after spring right into early summer and some nest more than once if first failed! A chimney fire forcing through a blocked nest is a little scary, sounds like a train coming into your house, and I was a trained military firefighter a few years ago.

cidermaster likes this.
  19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    My local park last week.

[​IMG]

JimMc and cidermaster like this.
  20. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Not long back from an ultra cool 10 night stay in the Highlands with Ruby Boxer of course,so great Wildlife seen......Sensational view of * male Golden Eagle,Summer Plumaged Black Throated Diver,Ptarmigan,Long Eared Owls(once again finding a nest),male Goshawk bringing in food to calling Female at another nest sight i found in 2014,still going strong,a good friend of mine moniters them with a licence,they have had loads of young in the last few years:84:
    Also a Hobby,Peregrine,Osprey,Wood Sandpiper,Pied Flycatcher,Wood Warblers,Garden Warblers,Redstarts,Whinchats,Ring Ouzels,Red Squirrels,Mountain Hares,Roe Deer,cool Dragonflies,Butterflies and Tiger Beetles.
    Ruby Boxer had a great time,really enjoyed her Butcher's Steak celebrating the stunning Golden Eagle sighting:lol: And yes the odd Pint here and there was consumed,but only after long long walks:84: