1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2018–19 UEFA Champions League qualification rounds

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 10, 2018.

Discuss 2018–19 UEFA Champions League qualification rounds in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Anyone know when the draw is?

2. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

19th of June I think mate.

jake10 likes this.
  3. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Even the Europa league looks difficult to qualify for this year, if we are knocked out of the champions league qualifiers, we could face some really tough teams. It’s almost impossible now for Aberdeen,Hibernian and the huns to qualify for the group stages as they are unseeded throughout most of the qualifiers.

4. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Its brutal the fact that we'll have almost played 10 games before the season has kicked off. UEFA are rotten to the core. Only interested in money and not the game. Shambles.

5. moravcik67

If we do end up in the Europa qualifiers then we can only player other teams also knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers. We don't enter the main draw with the other Scottish teams.

But bizarrely, even though we'd be seeded in all rounds of the CL qualifiers, we would only be seeded for 1 round of the Europa qualifiers - the first EL round we play. After that we'd be unseeded.

6. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Never knew that, absolute shambles this whole thing from uefa. If we manage to qualify this year, it will be a massive achievement.

7. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    ta man, couldn't find it in eufas site for mobiles

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  8. aliceinsound

the top 10 or 11 league champions automatically qualify. Czech league is ranked 11th while Scottish league is ranked 23rd so that is why they are in ahead of us.

9. Seosamh Máirtín

Rogic be missing then. :56:In all seriousness, that is crazy. I don't understand how UEFA couldn't arrange the dates differently...:43: At least we're seeded!

rickyroma25 likes this.
  10. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think I’m right in saying that we would need to play 21 matches to reach the final, highly unlikely we would make it but it really demonstrates how this competition is far from a level playing field and certainly not about Champions and treating all competing associations fairly and equally, how long will it be before Spain, England, Germany and Italy will all have 5 entrants.

Starting the campaign in the latter stages of the World Cup is also a poor show, in effect we don’t need many pre season games anymore as potentially 8 of these and a few warm up games in the lead up will be more than plenty before the domestic stuff kicks off in August

Xatraps and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Crazy to think we’ll have to play 8 champions league games before we could actually make the group stages.

12. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    the annoying thing is that no matter how well we do it means nothing for the coefficient if the rest cant pull their weight in europe, all the points we collect are divided by 4 and the other 3 losers do nothing to help it. so we're gonna be stuck like this for a long time unless aberdeen and hibs pull out a miracle in july. screw sevco though hope they get pumped in the first round.

freitassen likes this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't think it is too much to expect them to get close to qualifying but they never do, they get pumped by teams from Cyprus and Luxembourg.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye, to if we get to the Europa League final we would have 23 games, pretty much impossible given we have a 38 game League season and 2 domestic Cups. You' be talking a 70-72 game season for us to reach the EL final. Where as teams like Ajax, PSV, Zenit, Salzburg, Anderlecht, Basel, Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Besiktas and whoever would only have like 15-20 game less than us to reach the final.

15. Cupid Stunt

That is * ridiculous, how can we be that far behind the * Czech league?

16. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    UEFA created the CL because the big teams were going to break away & form their own league anyway. Greedy *.
    And don’t bank on the EPL bubble popping anytime soon, if you think the money is incredible now, you wait until Amazon or Netflix want a slice of the cake. The numbers involved will dwarf today’s deals.
    Football is pretty much ruined in so many respects.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The Czech league is better than ours. The 5 teams who go into Europe from them usually compete. The last time a club other than Celtic competed in Europe was 10 years ago when Rangers fans tried to compete with the police in Manchester.

freitassen likes this.
  18. Cupid Stunt

I can't remember the last time I saw many Czech teams doing particularly well in Europe. Seen Plzen's name a few times but not in the latter stages that I can remember?

celticfan01 likes this.
  19. peaky101 Gold Member Gold Member

its really the rest of the league letting us down. It will no doubt be the same this year with the usual suspects getting papped out early

20. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This. I don't think anyone on here watches the czech league, I've heard of 3 teams max and can't name any big names that have came out of the league. Aye the scottish league isn't great but is it really 12 spots behind that league? maybe one of the uefa members are from there, that would explain a bit