1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee Congerton - Ex Head of Recruitment

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, May 16, 2018.

Discuss Lee Congerton - Ex Head of Recruitment in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

So how do we rate this man's performance so far? I am trying to remember all the signings since his appointment. The addition could be described as a mixed bag at best.

Oliver Ntcham (around 4M) - for me a great bit of business. On his day he oozes class.

Musonda (expensive loan) - all had high hopes and it may still prove to be a good bit of business but at the minute it looks like a dud.

Johnny Hayes (around 1M) - can honestly can the thinking as a reliable versatile player. Slow start and then injures at the age of 29? Could also be regarded as a bit of a dud.

Jack Hendry (around 1M) - for me looks good business. Very steady and reliable. Be interesting to see him on the European stage. Good signing so far.

Compper (around 1M) - hard to find a positive at all. Complete waste of 1M. A defender who was eligible for EL at the time was needed.

Morgan (around 300k) - can't be judged yet as he hasn't even wore the jersey. Still a decent youth prospect I think we all have high hopes for.

Benyu (free transfer) - decent pre-season. Been loaned out (I think). Could be another non starter.

Edouard (loan with option to buy) - steady start and has really kicked on. Think we all hope to sign him permanently. Good bit of business

Bain (loan) - originally signed as backup. Definitely ahead of Dr vries now and seems to be pushing Gordon to for number 1 spot. Great business.

Very mixed bag, be interesting to see how he kicks on

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He has a thread on here somewhere mate but if you ask me he seems a waste of a wage

McManus4 and Cumbernauld Bhoy67 like this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Has he been here since the beginning of Rodgers’ reign?

4. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Too hard to judge these guys.

We don't know who recommends each player, plus the fact that the final say will always lie at the door of the manager. Or should anyway.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Mixed bag, waste?
    I reckon he could do with being a bit better in the likes of the Compper deal, but all signings come with a risk and all clubs will sign a dud, probably every season.

But of the 9 listed above, by the op own claims, 5 (more than half) are a good signing. 2 are to be wait and see, give some benefit of doubt.
    1 is on a long term injury
    1 is actually a dud.

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Oliver Ntcham is a good buy but I still think he needs to up his game. Too often he can just switch off for a whole game.No doubt a class player who in a few years will be in the France team.
    Johnny Hayes i am actually still fine with and would not attack anybody for getting him in. He was playing well and gelled with his team mates. He didn't get injured due to being unfit, he got injured from a * challenge that broke his leg. He still has something to offer, we are a team that played 59 games last season and 61 this season, we need a big squad and he his a guy that while not 1st choice you can use him and he will do a job.

Jack Hendry, another good buy but hard to see how good as of yet. I think he has been steady so far.

Edouard, great loan in and even if he decides not to sign it was a great 1 year loan who has covered when we have injuries and proved himself.

Scott Bain, liked him all along. Lots of pressure with an Old Firm being your first game. A great free transfer for this summer. Better than the rumoured Carson.

Compper I have no clue why. We couldn't play him as RB Leipzig were in the Europa league, and a defender for Europe was what we needed.

Musonda, not sure what happened but he looks stringy and I think teams in Scotland would just * him up big time. I actually don't think he was needed.

Morgan, can't say. The championship does not mean you are Celtic material. Look at the Hearts and Rangers players who won it. Would you want them in our team? He still has to prove himself, although I hope he gets the opportunity.

Benyu, not sure what to say. What happened with him at Oldham, did he get injured or just not good enough for them? They are now a league 2 team. Loan him out to Kilmarnock or Mortherwell and see how he does.

7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If we are going to persist with loan signings then it must be with an option to buy. Celtic are too big a club to act as a training facility for others. Loans to cover in emergency are different but why can't we just develop our own players or sign ones that are good enough to play in the first team

we have a massive squad .. but many are not good enough. Need to start looking at quality rather than just numbers

John Bhoy79 likes this.
  8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He joined in March 2017 mate

Callum McGregor likes this.
  9. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Not every signing is going to work out it's the same with every club no matter what fee...Sinclair has proved to be a good buy for 4.5m and Olivier Ntcham ...In Dembele ,Roberts and Eduaord 3 of the biggest talents in the game..Musonda was worth the chance with his rep but has not worked out.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good post.

Regarding Benyu, don’t think it’s injury. He was in the squad for his first four games there and has been dropped since. Probably just not ready. Needs to develop a lot before being anywhere near the required standard.

11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Sometimes loan players work out. Often 20-21 year olds from teams like Man City are very good but have no space in the vastly talented squad so they are worth taking for 12-18 month loans. We had 4 loans this season: Edouard, Roberts, Bain and Musonda. 3 worked. No new players on loan the season before but the season prior Roberts who succeeded and Blackett a failure.2014-15 there were 5 Guidetti and Denayer who succeeded and Tonev, Wakaso and Berget who failed. So over 4 seasons 10 players on loan and 5 succeeded. The 3 successes from Man City, 1 from PSG and 1 from Dundee. 3 of the 5 failures came from middling teams such as Villa and Cardiff (although 2 did come from Chelsea and Man United). If you take from the right people and scout well for loans then they are worth while.

12. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Its hard to judge his performance. Based on the transfer fee/ wage bracket we would find ourselves in, in all honesty all signings are going to be a gamble as they're nearly all project players, or early in the careers. All they can do is used their better judgement and compile as comprehensive a scouting report as possible on each target.

13. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm not disputing that. If we don't have an option to buy clause in the deal then we simply find ourselves in the same position when the deal ends.

I can see the benefit of a loan coming in if we sell a player and have no time to get a replacement but we were never going to sign Roberts or Musonda as we can't afford them. How many "big" clubs in EPL or Spain/Germany get players in on loan? Not many would be my guess. Without a realistic option to buy we are only depriving our own players game time.. and if they are not good enough to play then why are we signing them!

Bain situation was unusual but great for us.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It happens more than you would think. Yeah Barecelona, Bayern, Real, Man United or City are not doing it but some big name clubs are.

Bundasliga
    Shalke 04 (2nd ) 2- Rahmen (Chelsea), Pjaca (Juventus)
    Hoffenheim (3rd) 2-Gnabry (Bayern) Passlack (Dortmund)
    Dortmund (4th) 1- Batshuyai (Arsenal)
    Leipzig (6th)- 1 Lookman (Everton)
    La Liga
    Valencia (4th)-5-Mrullion (Inter), Guedes (PSG), Vietto (Atletico), Perreira (Man United), Kondogbia (Inter)

While having the right to buy should be an aim, we should not rule out loans if they do not have that option.

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Overall he doesn't seem to have done badly tbh.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Musonda Brendan was watching for ages..

Hayes Brendan worked with before and liked him all through the season..

Hendry Brendan was all over for a long while..

Morgan the same..

Bain was an obvious last minute choice from Brendan..

Congerton can only give a list of player's and Brendan and co will have a look and get the final say you'd imagine..

Compper you'd think was Congerton's work and possibly Edouard..

I'm expecting more of an input this summer when Brendan puts his stamp on the team..

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I find it hard to judge without knowing the ins and outs. Can only assume that some of those were his doing.

I think Rodgers still has the bigger input tbh. Congerton is more a glorified scout.

18. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I don’t know what authority he has at us but his track record is very poor.

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Pretty sure it was the same situation as Dembele in that his contract expired, he was offered a new one but decided to move on a free instead. We got him on the cheap due to the cross border development fee clause.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Would rate his signings 2 or 3 out if 10.

Wasted a * load of money if I'm honest and we need to get recruitment right this summer.

seanm and McManus4 like this.