1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Twists and turns Tommy Burns

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jamiebhoy67, Aug 20, 2015.

Discuss Twists and turns Tommy Burns in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Tommy was definitely joking

emmetf and Montero like this.
  2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song

A Celtic legend RIP Tommy

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

4. Pacific Ocean Blue

Great guy, do you all reckon he'd still be part of the backroom staff at Celtic if he was still alive?

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    A lovely touch by the club for a true Celtic legend that lives on in our hearts .
    RIP Tommy gone but never forgotten.

belbhoy likes this.
  9. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Greatness is bestowed upon some not worthy but Tommy we were blessed to have you a true great and legend.:ynwacelti always missed

CymruBhoy likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN Rodgers and Scott Brown have both paid warm and moving tributes to Tommy Burns on the 10th anniversary of the Celtic legend’s sad passing. As a supporter of the club growing up in the 1970s and ‘80s, Brendan Rodgers idolised Tommy Burns as a player, and then, when Tommy became Reading manager in the late ‘90s, he had the privilege to get to know one of his heroes.

The Celtic manager continues to be inspired by Tommy Burns and that was why, on the day he was unveiled as Hoops boss in front of 13,000 fans in Paradise in May 2016, he referenced Tommy in his opening speech to the fans.

Brendan Rodgers said: “For the club, he’s an iconic figure. He’s obviously gave his life to Celtic as a player and he spent a large part of his coaching life here, either managing or coaching. In terms for the club and the supporters, he’s everything. From a personal perspective, he was a big influence.

“We talk about the legacy of Tommy and you see it to this very day if you look around the training facility here and the first-team and the amount of players he’s influenced. But legacy is also about the feeling, what someone leaves behind and what you feel, and for me, Tommy was one that made you feel good, and you felt inspired by him, and that’s something I’ll always take with me.

“I was a Celtic supporter as a boy and the first period of my life. I was born in 1973 and I left to go England in 1989. In the 16 years of my upbringing before I left Northern Ireland, Tommy played for Celtic from 1975 to 1989, so for 14 of those 16 years, he’d played at Celtic and, especially when I got to eight, nine or 10 and could really remember football, he played a significant part in that.

“As a supporter, he was a huge influence and I thought he was a fantastic player. In the early stages of my coaching life, Tommy worked at Reading from 1998 to 1999 and, even though it was only one year, because it was the early part of my career in particular, I was really influenced by him as a coach and person.

“He didn’t have a great time there as a manger but you would never have known anything different. He had humility and he was a fun guy to be around, but his intensity, love and passion for coaching and making players better was something that was very apparent for me.

“His influence as a player when I was a young guy growing up was huge. I loved him as a player, and then getting to meet him as a person later in life as I was at the beginning of my coaching career was very special.

“We stayed in contact when he left, and his influence is with me right to this very day. So I have a lot to be thankful for to him.”

Scott Brown got to know Tommy Burns, his wife Rosemary and the rest of his family when the Celtic icon was a first-team coach at the club under Gordon Strachan. And the Hoops skipper revealed that it was Tommy who had persuaded him to join the Hoops from Hibernian in 2007.

The Celtic captain said: “My memories are amazing of Tommy. He always put a smile on my face and he made me come to this club. He was the man who did it. He was always on the text and chatting, saying you don’t want to cross there, I’ll put a smile on your face and you can come and play with a great player every day in training!

“To know him as a friend and just to be able to speak to a man who was top-quality. He loved this club and you saw what the club meant to him.

“I was at an association awards dinner recently and Rosemary was still there, and she always has that little smile on her face, and you know why Tommy loved her and why she loved Tommy as the two of them were a match made in heaven.”

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    10 years ago, just seems like yesterday.

[​IMG]

Winning the league that year was made all the more special as it was for Tommy.
    I will never forget that night at Tannadice.

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * * man :55:

Proper gettin me goin

GBTB :shamrock:

Lilac Wine, Doogs., The Prof and 2 others like this.
  14. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Some fantastic stuff in this thread, he was a special person no doubt about it. Honestly can't help but get a wee bit emotional everytime this date comes. I'm not old enough to remember him playing or managing us but I've certainly learned enough, read enough and heard enough stories about him which makes it feel like I knew him very well. 10 years now doesn't really feel like.

15. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    A beautiful person, inside & out. :notworthy

The Prof and Marty McFly like this.
  16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

The tribute video on the screens at HT on Sunday set me off and I wasn't even that hungover

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He typified everything good about our club and I can't think of many who would have the humility to return as an assistant manager after having the hotseat. He was Mr.Celtic.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Watched that for the first time a month or so back.

Excellent watch, tough to do so near the end, mind.

19. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Wasn't there talk of our training facilities at Lennoxtown getting renamed after him? Should definitely happen in my opinion

Fully87 likes this.
  20. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

He’d have taken any job on any pay here as long as he was part of the club. Absolute legend and the first Celtic manager I remember.