1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Cupid Stunt

Some amount of spoilt * among our support nowadays and I'm not aiming that at those who are saying we need to make improvements, of course we do, we should always be attempting to improve every single season but we're on the cusp of doing back to back trebles having qualified for the Champions League two seasons in a row. Anyone questioning Rodgers tactical and managerial ability is a fud.

3. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

We've made huge strides since he walked in the door. The first season, he turned us upside down and blew the competition away. This season, though we've not hit the heights we did last year, we're still on for another domestic treble.

It's hard to say if we've improved this year or not. Some players have, some haven't. At our best we've been brilliant again, but we've not been at our best enough. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the Summer window. Some will definitely be going, and we really need some reinforcements. We have the cash, so hopefully the manager is backed.

After two seasons of domestic dominance for Rodgers, I'm hoping that next season we can make a bigger impact in European football.

4. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Wise move from Brendan losing that game today. Gives Gerrard an earlier and tougher start. He’s * with the scouse * already.

5. dmac

All the injuries had an affect on the season along with the loss of form of a few players. I think we need to strengthen the team in order to do a bit more in Europe

6. freitassen

The cynic on me says that had we won that penalty shootout, we would still have Deila, Ciftci, Mackay Steven, among others.

Just look at all transfer windows after that one. There is no way the board will invest until after the horse has bolted. We are still way ahead of the huns, it's a double treble, there is absolutely nothing to worry, and if eventually we lose Dembele, Rogic and Armstrong and Roberts all at the once, we will have the likes of Morgan and Christie to replace it. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed literally nobody this summer. From BRs selections and interviews, he seems to be quite happy with the squad. If we were promised a "revolving door" last winter and got a kid from Dundee, a dead man and a loanee that doesnt play. In fact the zombies spent MORE than us last season.

What amazes me is those guys are regarded as absolute geniuses of business, while losing 40 million in revenue from Europe to save a few quid in better players and a better manager.

And nobody is asking them to do like Roman Abramovich. Two or three players of the level of Ntcham would do great.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm worried about this window. I can see us losing 2 maybe even 4 key players and they will need replacing, that is before we think of improving what is already here.

It's got the potential to be his most crucial yet and given what has gone on in the past couple, I'm wary.

The IRA, Markybhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  8. freitassen

I am not caring about todays game either. Quite hard to motivate the players for such a match. For me the only way of guaranteeing players giving something close to 100% in those days is bringing guys that need a chance or to prove a point.

9. leeso-ardoyne

Agree!!! * headers. 2 trebles in a * row. Last time we won a treble was 17 year agao and the time before that was decades fs. Who gives a * if weve slipped up in some games, we cant win them all. What matters is come next week at 5pm, we'll have won 2 trebles in a row in a season where weve just won 7in a * row. Mad men to criticize Brendan. Its a case of if the man could walk on water, youd get a few daft * saying ack sure, its because he cant swim. Always going to be some nut job out there.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Our early season/first half was poor in terms of too many draws and trying not to lose the unbeaten run. Think that played a large part in the overall feel of this season.
    Second, we have lost a massive player in Roberts this season. If he and Charly are away this summer, then we really need to bring in a player of that calibre again. Someone to open up defence and put bums on seats. It's no surprise we have been a bit more sluggish looking and slow to the build up while we haven't had Roberts as an option.

11. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Which one is daibhi now?

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has told his players to enjoy a day off before getting down to business ahead of Saturday's William Hill Scottish Cup final at Hampden.

The Parkhead side lost to Aberdeen yesterday afternoon as they hosted a Championship party and while Rodgers believes the afternoon had to be seen in the context of the season, he will nevertheless be looking to get a better performance out of his players this weekend than one put in against the Pittodrie side.

It was a tired display from Celtic yesterday - "that was our 60th competitive game," - explained Rodgers but he is looking for one more big performance from his side as the Hoops aim for an unprecedented back-to-back Treble.

"I will sit with the staff and we will have a look during the week," said Rodgers. "Think about what is the best plan to beat Motherwell, then from there we will try to pick the best team to implement that plan. I have quality in that squad, we can enjoy tonight, recover and then get ready for the next game."

Moussa Dembele played for 50 minutes before the arrival of Leigh Griffiths and it was important for both players to get some game time.

"Thankfully Moussa has come through the game and we tried to some minutes into Leigh, because between the two of them they are our two options really," explained the Celtic manager. "It is a case of balancing with the other players. There are two ways you can go. You could rest them all but then you don’t play a game for two weeks and you can be undercooked.

"When we won away up at Aberdeen earlier on they had played on the Saturday and then weren’t playing on the following Wednesday. We had played three games in between. We played the Sunday, Wednesday and the Saturday in the semi-final at Hibs. When we played them, we were still in a good rhythm."

There will be a lingering accusation towards Celtic from Rangers than their failure to beat Aberdeen robbed the Ibrox side of their chance to finish in second place.

Rangers and Hibs slugged out a 5-5 draw through on Leith with Neil Lennon stealing the headlines but those who watched Rodgers' frustration on the touchline will testify as to how much he wanted a result.

“Joe Lewis made a great save at the end," he said. "As soon as we went 1-0 down, we went to three-diamond-three to try and get as many attackers on the pitch as we could.

“We knew we wouldn’t concede so many opportunities from that moment. We did everything to actually try and win the game. So I think conspiracy in this case certainly wouldn’t apply.

“I thought the team with the greater need to win the game, won the game.

"We didn’t play so well but over the bigger picture of the 38 games I thought we thoroughly deserved to win the title.

“I told the players to make sure they celebrate it over the next day or so, then we can get focused for next week.

“It is always disappointing when you lose and that’s the first time we have lost here in the league in the two seasons I’ve been here.

“But you’ve got to put that to the side and look at the bigger picture. The guys have had an incredible season again, with extra scrutiny and extra expectation on them. So to go and win the league was absolutely great.

“Congratulations to Aberdeen, because they were in a fight to try and finish second. So it’s been a really good day for them.

"I tried to kick the water bottle and near enough broke my ankle on the astroturf. I was raging. I should be fine for the cup final, I’m just not looking forward to taking my shoe off! It swells."

Scott Brown is also set to be declared fir for Hampden after taking a hefty knock late in the game.

"It was a bad tackle, it was late, it was right on the foot when the ball was well gone," said Rodgers, "But hopefully he will be okay."

Taz and lespaul like this.
  13. dmac

If we win the treble again some people in the board would say there us no need to strengthen but then we need to see who stays and who goes in the summer but I think we need a few players in to create some competition

14. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    could be a big rebuilding job this summer if we're losing dembele, rogic and armstrong alonside roberts and edourad going back to their clubs. and who knows if Lawell and Desmond will jump on any offers for Tierney, odds are the will.

all i know is next season's league campaign has to better than this one cause this one has been extremely underwhelming. 10 draws, 5 of them being 0-0 and 7 of them being at home is a horrible stat. we failed to score in 3 of our defeats meaning we failed to score in 8 of our league games which is again worrying.

yes there's been injuries along the way but this side should have been good enough to win some of those games.

all i know is that Rodgers second league statitistics loses to Deila's second league statitsitics and that's not good enough imo, he should outdo Deila in every season he is with us. Rodgers 82 pts and 72 goals, Deila 86 pts and 93 goals.

15. saltire78

Delia won by 15, this season we won by 9, due to a 6 point swing on the last day... Delia was 15 from 2nd, 21 from 3rd and 30 from 4th. This year we're 9, 12 and 15 respectively, so there's been collective progress from the league opposition too

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Why do * insist on trying to use Deilia as a stick to beat Brendan with ? It makes no * sense whatsoever.

Firstly it is not like for like as the SPFL is not static we are playing against different squads now. Secondly we have played far more games this season. Thirdly we have comfortably lead the league from the start this season. Fourthly we qualified for the CL again which obviously makes a massive difference to our season. Another difference if we have turned up in every big domestic game this season which we didn't with Ronny.Finally we are probably going to win the treble again which Ronny never did.

If folk would rather we still had Ronny managing us then Brendan then fair enough. If not come up with something more relevant to criticise him.

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think in some ways it is relevant. I have thought many times more this season that teams could take us. If other teams improve then so should we rather than wait till they are neck and neck to improve.

18. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Can't compare Rodgers to Deila. Ronny was poor in domestic cup competitions and couldn't qualify for the UCL. Rodgers has performed in our domestic cup competitions. Yes, the team haven't been as good/consistent as last season however, a refresh of personnel (not majorly in my opinion) and the pre-season will make the difference. Also, I think it's naïve to not recognise that the opposition have also improved. Killie, Aberdeen, Hibs have all made strides this season, there's no saying that they'll perform to the same level next season either. Aberdeen are maybe best placed out of the lot of them to continue to perform.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  19. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    We were never going to have a season like the last one so everyone needs to lighten up. Brendan is the best manager in Scotland by a country mile and we should be really thankful he's ours. I wouldn't even contemplate trying to compare him to previous managers as I think that it's insulting to him. It's also arrogant to think that we should win in every game as it's inevitable that other teams are going to improve.......Brendan has a lot to do with that too as I believe other managers are actually picking up from him. We will have defeats and draws but ultimately we will do ok. I have every faith in Brendan and his back room staff to balance things out again. Maybe there's a lot more going on behind the scenes and maybe next season will be another invincible one :84:. Celtic doesn't have to do it's business in the full glare of the media.

We all need to stay positive and loyal to the man as there's many already hoping for him to fail. Don't give then an inch. The SFA, other managers and the media probably can't wait to see the back of him. I think they believe that Celtic's continual successes are stifling the Scottish game. There's the continual clamour for the so called Old Firm which a lot of people make a lot of money on the back of. Yes it would be better for all concerned if Brendan was to leave then they could go back to the way things were. There is no appetite for change in this country and he's creating a revolution and striking fear into the hearts of our enemies. We will shape up again with renewed energy and hopefully onto another treble.

20. Dáibhí

I see you've still not grasped the concept of sarcasm, lad.

No worries, yer ol' pal Daibhi is here to keep you right. I'll explain it in detail, and I'll try to use small words.

My point about McGhee was made in relation to the talk about Alan Stubbs or John Hughes getting the job! I was making the point that if those types of candidates were "realistic" then surely Mark McGhee should also be considered a "realistic" choice?

I was highlighting how utterly ridiculous such chat was.

For those members of the forum who aren't a bit soft in the head my post that said the following was enough of a give-away;

Which was then followed by me saying;

Anyone who wasn't a wee raging tadger like yourself could see that I wasn't actually advocating McGhee for the * job! :56:

What did strike me as quite amusing though was that you said in the very same thread that you wouldn't be against Mick McCarthy getting the job :97: