1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad changes for next season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, May 2, 2018.

Discuss Squad changes for next season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. shaunm

I think we have a massive summer ahead,I think there will be some big players sold,wouldnt be surprised to see Armstrong,Rogic and Dembele sold,hopefully we can keep them.What players do you think should be moved on this summer and what positions need strengthened?Players I think should be moved on are Devries,Gamboa,Boyata,Simunovic,Hayes,Bitton,Allan and big Nadir,no idea whats going on with Compper either tbh.

2. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    My ideal summer window would be

Dembele staying
    Rogic getting a new deal
    Signing Edouard
    Signing Paddy Roberts
    A new quality RB to match the standard of Tierney
    A new quality CB

I'd also like to keep Armstrong. His behaviour has * me off a bit, but he's still a quality player and I'd like to have him in the squad. I'd rather he got a long-term deal.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    CB, RB, , GK, ST, RW/LW is what I want to come in. Maybe a CM or 10 if Armstrong and Rogic leave.

Defence has to be priority first off, then get Edouard signed up and assess the Roberts situation.

Also feel that someone who could provide cover for Tierney would be helpful down the left. Maybe Church in the youths could get a shot? Heard he's meant to be decent and it's better than buying in someone. Unsure on Calvin Miller there.

4. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    This looks perfect. Would be happy to let Armstrong go though and bring Mc Ginn on board.

5. freitassen

What I want:

-New RB

-New CB

-New GK, and a foreign goalkeeper better than Gordon if Bain doesn't get a new contract.

-Paddy Roberts

-Maybe McGinn. Certainly McGinn if Rogic leaves.

-Edouard or some other striker if Dembele leaves.

The rest would be prospects for the future.

About players leaving, I would cash in on Armstrong, and we would need to sell Rogic if the contract renewal novel keeps dragging on. If good offers for Boyata, Simunovic and Sviatchenko (in that order) appear I would even sell the three. Ideally my backline would be Ajer, two new CBs and Sviatchenko as a squad player. Kouassi needs to play or be loaned out. A good idea would be loaning to Hibs as part of the McGinn deal. I don't think Christie has a place in the squad, and could be loaned again or sold, but a good pre season performance could change that.

6. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Exactly this.

Although i expect Dembele to leave.

Twisty likes this.
  7. celtic warrior

If played right, very very little needs changing.

If worst case scenario happens which I think is selling Moussa, Armstrong and losing Rogic - the silver lining of that should mean we've got more than enough for potentially getting perm deals done for Eddie and Roberts. For arguments sake we could sell Dembele for £20 mill and bring in Eddie and Roberts for £15 mill.

We could then spend another £8 mill of our own money excluding "profits" from player sales to then tweek our defence with a new GK and RB and maybe a CB should Boyata or Jozo be let go with Erik.

It's all theoretical but even in the worst case like above, we are still in such a strong position regardless of potential sales to really strengthen this squad with very little disturbance to team harmony.

8. Ľubomír1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The back is the main concern. Need a new keeper, new centre backs and a right-winger. Urgent for Europe I feel.

9. rickyroma25

I'd agree with all of that. I see this as a massive summer for us. Right back is a priority for me. Anderlecht at home and Zenit away showed the level we need to aspire to. Smashing sevco silly is always satisfying as *, but they're awful and shouldn't be the yardstick for us. We've got the makings of a good team here but we need to push on this summer especially when you consider that qualification this year could see us play a PSV or Basel. I think that's right anyway.

EDIT: Basel aren't champions this year. Highest ranked teams we could play are Salzburg, Ludogorets, PSV, and Viktoria Plzen. All supposition at this point anyway

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    In

GK
    RB
    CB
    Winger
    Striker

Out

Dembele £20m
    Armstrong
    Gamboa
    Jozo
    Christie
    DDV
    Sviatchenko
    Think Rogic will leave as well

11. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    It's hard enough trying to get into the CL these days but if we end up losing Dembele, Rogic, Roberts and possibly Edouard (if we fail to get a deal) then we won't be playing CL football next season. That's far too much quality to be losing. And even if 'replacements' are brought in, there is no guarantee they'll be of a similar standard.

Sometimes it's just as important to hold onto what you have, than to be making wholesale changes.

I hope this board has finally learnt the lesson that if you want to stay in a healthy financial state, then you have to spend money to do so. That means better contracts for our better players. And pushing the boat out to sign those who have shown real quality during their time here.

It pays in the long term as having a better standard of player makes it more likely that we'll qualify for the CL and reap the massive financial rewards and it also ensures we stay so far ahead domestically that we're the only club who can get into that competition in the first place.

12. shaunm

Are any of our youth players ready to break through next season and be first team players?ie Ralston,Johnston,Aitchison.

13. Martin_CFC

If Ralston gets a good pre-season under his belt then he should be able to challenge for the right back slot next season. Think he would have got a run at it this season barring his injury.

Other two are probably some way off the first team level at the minute though. Cameo’s here and there for 15 minutes or so seems more likely next season. I personally want to see Calvin Miller get a chance further up the pitch, was very highly rated as a winger if I remember correctly.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yeah I must admit I'm slightly concerned in regards to this window. Really want us to kick on and add some real quality. Lay down yet another marker.

Worrying if we can draw those kind of teams as well!

rickyroma25 likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing

Goal Keeper
    Lustig, Hendry, Ajer, Tierney
    Brown, Ntcham
    Forrest, Rogic, Sinclair
    Edouard

Bain
    Ralston, Simunovic, Center Back, Left Back
    McGinn, McGregor
    Charly, Christie, Morgan
    Griffiths

Hazard
    Bitton
    Hernandez

GoalKeeper - a new Boruc of Forster from when we first signed them.
    Center Back - Someone to really take us to the next level, our new Virgil if we could.
    Left Back - Miller is perhaps needing to either step it up, or we need to search for another back up. Hard to find one of real quality due to how Good Tierney is, so perhaps sticking with Miller is ok. Or at least searching for another youth prospect to develop.

That's a 25man squad, whoich I always feel we should be aiming for. After that peppering the season with appearances from youth players is ideal. Any other incomings for me would be for direct replacements for the above squad and seeing some move on. Such as perhaps Lustig - though I feel he will want to stay till the ten and don't blame him. Still reckon he is a good player for us.

Allows us to sell the following;

Gordon,
    De Vries,
    Sviatchenko,
    Gamboa,
    Compper (just why),
    Boyata,
    Armstrong,
    Hayes,
    Eboue,
    Dembele,
    Allen,
    Benyu,
    Ciftci

Reckon a conservative transfer income of 25-30mIllion if we sell that lot. Also brings the wage bill down by (guessing) 130k as well. Even from that alone we should be able to get the above 3 players of a good level. Signing a real proven defender and a real proven Keeper will go a long long way to helping us be more solid and organised at the back when it comes to Europe.

16. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Gk
    New goalie / Bain

Rb
    New rb / lustig/ ralston

Cb
    New Cb / ajer / boyata / Hendry / lustig

Lb
    Tierney / miller

Cm
    Brown / ntcham / Eboue / new cm

Wingers
    Forrest / Roberts / Morgan / Sinclair

Am
    Rogic / mcgregor

St
    New st edouard?/ thumb / 3rd choice loan

Everyone else expendable

17. celtic warrior

After Sinclair's season this year, Miller deserves going up against him for that role.

Sinclair will rightly be seen as the more senior experienced player and will likely start more which is totally obvious, but from glimpse of Miller he seems more like a credible attacking threat more so than a defender.

18. Aidan O’Shea

Unless we get major investment at the back we’re going to get humped in Europe again.

19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    More long term but I think we should start looking more at foreign talent at 16/17 like Ajer.

Go and offer young talent decent money and the chance of breaking into the first team earlier than at the rich clubs.

20. ORIGINALS

If we don't make quality additions at RB and CB we can forget about making an impact next season.