1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The MLS 2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by seamus1967, May 30, 2011.

Discuss The MLS 2017 Season Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Going to miss him very much when he retire. Larsson is obviously me favourite but Zlatan has always been so hilarious in a special way. Him and broony would be good mates :56: he is a troll but he builds up hate against him and use it for motivation.

Senior games: 772
    Goals: 467 (405 club / 62 Sweden)

Legend and in my opinion One of the greatest ever in the game.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Another view of the Zlatan goal

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    So there's been one club in MLS that has really been interesting me, and that's Atlanta. Not sure if you guys have heard much about them, but they're really pushing MLS forward right now in a few ways. Living in Europe for half a decade now, I often find it a bit shocking (but understandable in a way) at how little is known about Atlanta. It is, in many ways, as culturally significant as NY or LA. With a metropolitan area of over 7 million people, it's bigger than many countries in Europe. What it's really known for is vibrancy and being kind of the home town of black America (if you're into hip-hop, probably half the guys you listen to are from there). And they've taken Atlanta United into their culture more than has been managed in many MLS cities. Basically, when you look at recent success in MLS, it's mostly been places like Seattle, where a bunch of white hipsters have supported because they studied abroad for a year in Munich and love soccer scarves. That's where you get some of the cringeworthy chants and such. But Atlanta is a bit different, they own it a bit more. They're less insecure, they do the stuff that they love at college football games, and then when it comes to songs, they sing their own songs from Atlanta, which is mostly hip-hop. Obviously they share some things, but one of their most impressive displays is when they sing "We ready", a big rap song from the early 2000s which is pretty big there for its sporting connotations.

This also filters to the club itself - rather than getting aging Europeans or, even worse, overpaid Americans, they went out and signed a bunch of young Latin Americans that were being scouted by mid-major clubs like Marseille, Dortmund, etc. They also integrated their youth academy from day one, giving kids from the inner city and the suburbs a shared place to progress. Basically, this is what people have been waiting for in the US, that click where it becomes part of the culture rather than staying a culture that hipsters are trying to copy. Here's a video where you see that it's just a bit more effortless there than in other places, and another video where you can see them filling out a 70,000 + seater stadium.

Still waiting for soccer to be as cool as these kids though...

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Cheers for that, very interesting.

I listen to a number of football podcasts and one of the journos on one of them was talking them up recently. Saying they play some exciting football and he mentioned how they were sort of doing a Porto, what with signing young players from South America. Really need to make a point of watching them whenever they are on TV.

Josef Martinez and Almiron seem to be the two I hear most about.

6. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They recently just took one of the highest-rated talents from Argentina - Ezequiel Barco - sparking a crisis there about how he went to MLS and not to a big club in Europe (he was being scouted by the biggest). They also have the highest-rated young American not named Christian Pulisic, a just-turned 17 year-old named Andrew Carleton.

7. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

thanks Diegan for the insight. I like Atlanta (especially the Atlanta Braves), but wasn't aware of Atlanta United. I'll check my local sports channels (some actually broadcoast some MLS games every week).

8. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Do they? I'm moving to Switzerland (Geneva area) next month from Norway and I had been wondering about that. We get a few matches every week here via Eurosport, do you know if they're broadcast nationally?

9. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Woops, quoted my own post instead of editing it.

10. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

That's awesome to hear. Geneva is approx 3.5 hours from my place away. Haven't been there in a while, might come over for a football game :) Their stadium is cozy. Eurosport 1 and 2 (not sure though) broadcast MLS highlights and sometimes even live games.
    it depends on your broadcast whether Eurosport is available or not. Here's a list, even though they all seem to be German speaking broadcasters, swisscom tv, upc and sunrise are nationwide. :)

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Watching Atlanta v LAFC and an Atlanta player got sent off after 45 seconds. VAR then overruled it and it’s down to a yellow.

Absolutely idiotic tackle.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Ref has had a shocker.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Johnny Russell goal for Kansas City Against LA

MacEwan likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Only in America

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Another goal for Zlatan

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Quality.

17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I like that Atlanta display and love the idea of having hip hop songs as part of the repertoire.

It could be possible 'soccer' might become a big sport in the USA because there is a lot of scientific research being carried out regarding the life span of NFL players and I think parents might shy away from it. Mind you the research also says heading a ball might lead to Alzheimers so I don't know how they are going to enforce the 'no heading' rule.

I'm sure with the new modern lighter balls that heading wouldn't have anywhere near the effect it did when the balls were laced and filled up with water making it quite dangerous. Plus McGrory was 78 when he died which was quite a long life for a normal citizen living in Glasgow during that time and in the East End I think 78 is still regarded as a very long life span.

18. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    KC are making a mockery of Vancouver tonight, 5-0, Johnny Russel already on a hattrick and 2 Vancouver players sent off including Efrain Juarez, and its only 57 minutes in

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Doogs. likes this.
  20. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Defo going in to Hollywood when he retires :56: