1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Bain

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Jan 31, 2018.

Discuss Scott Bain in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Deserves a lot of credit for getting thrown in like that..

I actually felt comfortable with him in goal..

A concern is he parries shots in to dangerous area's. Done it twice off of good saves though to be fair and I especially liked how quickly he was up and saving that one off the line. How many time's do you see that hitting back off a keeper or it being spilled..

Hammy89 and Lilac Wine like this.
  2. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    Nothing he could do when he parried they shots, he done it the correct way. Training as a keeper you learn to parry shots you cant get a hold of cas close to the by line , NEVER parry it into the niddle of the box. morelass just had good positioning for the second, shame he cant finish for *.:celtman2:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm no even really digging him out as he was good but he probably could've parried them further wide. Deserved his bit of luck that they couldn't finish..

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT Bain’s Sunday began with a text message at eight o’clock in the morning telling him he was making his Celtic debut later that day against Rangers at Ibrox.

By two o’clock in the afternoon, he was celebrating along with his team-mates in front of 8,000 jubilant Celtic fans in the Broomloan Stand, having played his part in a memorable 3-2 victory for Brendan Rodgers’ side.

Not surprisingly, it was a debut the Celtic goalkeeper savoured and which was, by his own admission, the biggest game of his career to date.

Speaking after the game, the 26-year-old said: “Before the game it was just a case of being calm and enjoying it, and trying not to let the atmosphere overwhelm me, especially after going a goal down early on.

“But I thought I handled it well. I thought I was composed on the ball and the boys in front of me really helped me with that.

“I knew that Dorus might have been struggling, and I woke up on Sunday morning with a text at eight o’clock saying that I would be playing, so I had plenty of time to get myself right and focused on the game

“I enjoyed every minute of it. I suppose you only really enjoy it when you win, so I was glad I could contribute to the win, and I thought our goals were unbelievable.

“The way we handled going down to 10 men in the game was unbelievable. I saw it up at Pittodrie and I saw it again at Ibrox –the composure, the calmness, the belief in the squad and the togetherness in terms of digging your mate out who got sent off. We know we’re good enough to get the result, even if we’re down to 10 men.”

Celtic had to come from behind twice in the game, with Tom Rogic and Moussa Dembele providing the vital equalisers for the Hoops while, after the team were reduced to 10 men following Jozo Simunovic’s red card, substitute Odsonne Edouard scored what proved to be the winner, putting Celtic nine points clear at the top of the table.

And Scott Bain was called upon late in the game to deny Josh Windass, with Alfredo Morelos missing an open goal, and the Hoops keeper grateful to smother the ball on the line.

“I saved the first one (from Windass) and then I looked up and saw it going to Morelos and thought ‘Oh no,’ but luckily for us, he hit the post and I was up and could scramble and get the ball on the line. I still had to get up just in case anything happened and it was a massive moment in the game.

“The game was special, the way we won the match after going a goal down twice, and then going down a man.

“It’s one that I will definitely look back at the end of my career and think, that was an unbelievable debut to make, especially at Ibrox, so at the end of the game I just wanted to take a breath and enjoy it.

“I said, when I joined Celtic, that what I went through at Dundee made me stronger mentally, and I think that showed on Sunday, that I’m capable of handling these massive occasions and that definitely plays a part in it.”

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Aidan O’Shea

I didn’t realise he was only 26. For some reason I thought he’d been about for years and was about 33.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

In a 3-way "fight" with Hearts and Hibs to sign Bain in the summer, according to the Scottish Sun.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Apparently he's a diet fan but if we legit want him as backup then we'll get him in my opinion..

He's caught the bug already..

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. Gerry1972 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The thing that impressed me about him, is that he was calm and assured with the ball at his feet picking out passes to his centre backs and full backs in such a high pressure match.

That is the way Brendan likes his keepers to play as we know. When he was put under -pressure he didn't panic and try and thread a pass to his defence to put them under more pressure, he controlled his clearance to one of the wide men up the park or just got it to *.

He looked to have a good pair of hands and caught balls rather than trying to punch them clear. You could also see him organizing his defence and taking control.

I'll echo what many have said so far and say he deserves a run now.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  9. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I thought he'd already signed a pre contract at hibs so good news if he hasn't.

I thought he had a good game and love his distribution and command. The only part of his game in not sure of is shot stopping, reflexes but with more game time we will see that. I think it's only fair it's his position to lose now and would offer him a contract it's a win win, takes over for Gordon if he does well and allows the young keeper at falkirk to have time to develop

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    For a free in the summer it's a no brainer to sign him.

Hammy89 and Lilac Wine like this.
  11. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Seriously you crack me up sometimes. I know you know your stuff but you're a demanding *, expecting him to put that last save past the far post :56:

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I would have him here in a heartbeat.

I've rated him for a while. I don't think he has what it takes to be our number one though. However, we could do a lot worse for a back up keeper.

He did the job well at the weekend and, like others have said, I felt comfortable with him in goals. I haven't really been able to say that about DDV.

Deserves a run of games. I prefer him to DDV. I'd be happy with him as number two next season with a replacement for Gordon as number one. I'd let both Gordon and DDV leave in the summer.

Gordon has done a job for us but it's time to improve that area of the pitch. I'd honestly be delighted if we just strengthen keeper, centre back and right back areas.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

At worst he’d be a good back up for us.

14. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Would much prefer to see him be No. 1 until Gordon gets back fit rather than DDV. If he plays well he might even force himself to be first choice.

15. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I don't think he's good enough for our eventual number 1 - that although with a new CH should be a priority signing this summer. But if he's free I'd be happy to have him as our number 2.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Definitely agree that it's his place to lose now. De Vries isn't a good enough shot stopper and Gordon won't walk back into the team after such a bad injury. I'd definitely sign him up this summer. If we're fighting off Hibs and Hearts, offering him a better wage should fend off any chance of them getting him.

17. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I broadly agree with what you're saying here, but do you honestly think he could be our long-term no.1 Minty?

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm not sure, I haven't paid enough attention to him before we signed him. I do think he deserves his chance to prove himself and his age is perfect for us. The typically young, inconsistent years should be behind him and we'll hopefully see him reaching his peak, if we sign him permanently. Woods coaching him could bring his game on a fair bit too.

Fiferbhoy1991 likes this.
  19. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think Bain is about the same level as Gordon, but nearly ten years younger and yet to reach his peak. I'd definitely give him a contract. Good GK to have as back up and could develop into a 1st choice if Woods works his usual magic.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I also think the overall set up we have a Lennoxtown, will aid him in improving. I think he's already said he's been impressed by the facilities here.

Fiferbhoy1991 likes this.