1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

On course for our 2nd best season in 15 years and probably one of our top 5 ever.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Feb 12, 2018.

Discuss On course for our 2nd best season in 15 years and probably one of our top 5 ever. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You've hit the nail on the head 'What it means to us!'

It's never been done, there's a reason for it!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

This time but what about next season, if we are on track to do it again, will a treble treble be more important ... or a quadruple treble .. when would it stop being as/more important ?

Overall league and CL is far more valuable, in all ways, for us as a Club.

3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Regarding the comment of wanting the treble but CL being your priority preference.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Financially aye and prestige possibly, don't get me wrong I love being part of the CL and European competition in general, it's always been the benchmark for us.

However there's something fundamentally wrong with getting overly excited in reaching the last 16 of a tournament we have no chance of winning. Making up the numbers in the CL has limited appeal. But financially it everything, kinda sums up what's wrong with the game in general.

5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Ah :50:

If I was able to decide on what we achieved each season it would be the league and entry to the CL every time. Its a priority just now simply because we went out of the CL. But normally league and last 16 will see us achieve far more than a treble will do. (Although thats good as a fan/supporter).

No possibly about the prestige at all mate. By reaching the last 16 (and seeing what happens then) we will probably stand a decent chance of domestic trebles anyway. As for being in a tournament we have no chance of winning, well that lets us know how the likes of Forfar, Elgin, QOTS etc all feel when they enter the cup competitions we have in Scotland, I'm very sure their fans dont think its a waste of time entering them so why should we with the CL.

packybhoy likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Tbf QOTS made the Scottish Cup Final in 2008 :56:

7. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The difference is that last season we were playing attractive attacking football and pumping teams week in week out. This season in the majority of our games we have been pedestrian and even boring to watch with a real lack of cutting edge, players that were fantastic last year have looked a shadow of themselves. It's really disappointing to have seen us regress so much in our performances despite not really losing anyone.

Injuries could be blamed but even in times last season where we had injuries our play wasn't as consistently poor as it has been this year.

Overall though, looking at the bigger picture and discounting performances this season is even better than last season so far due to us progressing in Europe. It is a weird one when you think about it like that

8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That's why I picked them mate :56: :83: It can happen you see :50:

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Finally.

A realistic and positive thread on TC regarding this season.

Even though it's taken till nearly March :56::56::56:

JC Anton likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye right :56:.

Random Review likes this.
  11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Well out of the 3 i mentioned 2 are up here and one is at the * end of the country, is that not a pointer :50:
    But your choice JC, I aint worried about getting lynched here :56:

My point was highlighted anyway.

12. Sween

Im not sure there is much prestige now in qualifying for the champions league anymore. Im with JC Anton in that it is really all about the money. Looking at the groups this season not a single 4th pot team got more than 3 points in 6 games played. We managed to finish 3rd having lost 5 of 6 games and Dortmund managed to finish 3rd by drawing two games. For the top teams the groups are just a formality and for neutrals watching I doubt they see those clubs getting battered in most games as especially prestigious.

None of which is the fault of those smalller teams. The competition is a set up to make sure the rich clubs get richer and they are in no danger of knocking each other out until the head to head rounds. For teams like Celtic I think getting there is 100% about getting paid. I dont think it really does all that much for brand, prestige, reputation, etc, anymore.

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    This season might be our last chance for the foreseeable future to win a European trophy.

Next season with 8 Qualifiers to reach Group Stage football and our only hope of European silverware being the Europa League it means we'll need to play 23 European games to win it just seems far too many games for it to be possible. Thats 5 more knockout rounds than it takes for Real Madrid to win the CL.

Sween and JC Anton like this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

This season it is then...:50:

Random Review likes this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Totally, mate.

I never thought I could feel as apathetic about the CL as I do now.

Even just watching a stream, the adrenaline rush from the big games was like nothing else. Never mind even streams! Going back to the pre-stream early 2000's, sometimes moving about the local park in Sheffield listening to us on Radio Scotland MW because I had no other options (moving about because the best signal moved about for some reason). The feeling of certain big games will never, ever leave me. This was true right up to this season.

Now the qualifiers are the most exciting matches of the entire season!
    Unless the board go on some mad, crazy spending spree this summer (which they won't and nor should they!), I guarantee I will be more excited for these than the Group Stage games. There are GS games I don't even want to watch and, guess what, it's the so-called "glamour" ties. After the PSG 5-0, if I watched the remaining "glamour" ties, it's because I was imagining someone SD shaking his head and tutting at me for being a fair weather supporter. :56:
    To be fair, Bayern at home was worth it.

We need the CL money; but the EL is far the more interesting competition now.

ChrisMoh, dmccourt95 and Sween like this.
  16. Sween

Thats exactly how I feel on the champions league, not just from a celtic fan persepctive but in general.

Basel vs Man City was a perfect example last night. A great achievement for Basel to get to the last 16 and no doubt will make a small fortune, but is it really all that fun and glamorous when in a first leg at home you are 3 down after 25 minutes? But when Basel spend £10-15m a year on their squad and Man City spend £40-50m on single players who dont even play every week then that is what you get. It isnt glamourous to me, it is utterly boring.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mate, I don't even watch football apart from us anymore and haven't done for years. They've ruined it completely. I can't agree more with your post. There was never any long-lost golden age where East Stirling might meet Accrington Stanley in the European Cup final and Real, Barca, Bayern might get relegated, I know that; but you had teams like Dundee Utd and Aberdeen reaching major European finals (in Aberdeen's case winning it) and Nottingham Forrest could win the European Cup twice.

Remember when one of life's major joys was seeing amazing players like Zico who you had barely heard of for the first time in the World Cup? Well, no; probably not. You're too young. Just me and the Prof on that one I think. :56:

18. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Great thread.
    The way I see it is that injuries have hindered the consistency of the team this season you can't lose that amount of players and not feel the effects.
    We are on course for another treble (hopefully) and have achieved all objectives so far this season.
    Hopefully we see a full house tomorrow night and big performances from players such as Dembele/Sincliar, it could really help us kick on for a domestic clean sweep.
    Hoping for a display like the Man city at home game and not an Anderlecht at home.
    Starting to feel confident the closer the game gets.

19. freitassen

It's pointless to compare this team with anything other than the very recent past. Football changed massively for worse. The gaps both in Europe and Scotland got wider and wider.

What worries me is we playing awfully similar with deila's time, those loads of aimless side to side passes

20. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I think we've badly missed Rogic and Armstrong, 2 players who link middle to front.

freitassen likes this.