1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

On course for our 2nd best season in 15 years and probably one of our top 5 ever.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Feb 12, 2018.

Discuss On course for our 2nd best season in 15 years and probably one of our top 5 ever. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The simple answer to that is NO. I rather we get the last 16 of champions league than win a treble. Tbh the cups are a bonus, if we are in it I want to win it, if we are out, then I won't lose sleep over it.
    The only thing I think would be better than a place in last 16 in champions league would be a good run in the Europa.
    So, the only way we can better last season and better Lenny and WGS season's reaching Last 16, is to beat Zenith and progrès to the quarters or even semi's of the Europa League.

aliceinsound likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

There's a reason back to back trebles have never been done.. we are judged on how we perform in Europe it's always been a benchmark to truly evaluate where we are at as a club. However, if we make history this season, it will be our most successful season since Seville or maybe even since 1970..

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Of course a treble is better than a double and last 16 of the CL, ffs.

Bobo_ and JC Anton like this.
  4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Nah it's no. From a prestige point of view most of europe would pay more attention to us making it to the last 16, especially in the CL, than us winning a domestic treble. Also from a financial point of view the last 16 also generates far far more income than a treble, so the last 16 is the trump card compared to either cup.

Having said that I so want a treble again :giggle1: #parochialView

Creativecelt likes this.
  5. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Would take back to back trebles over Last 16 of the champions league if it wasn't for the money involved. It's definitely a more memorable achievement.

JC Anton likes this.
  6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    If we weren't going for back to back trebles I would take a win over Zenit over a Scottish cup win. What makes the Scottish cup important to me is gaining back to back trebles and going forward to maybe doing treble trebles.

JC Anton likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The history books will look back and see back to back trebles. For the first time ever

What does last 16CL actually mean in terms of the history of our great club? Not much. It's a tournament we've won, made two finals and 4 semis.

It's the back to back aspect if we achieve it, it will be better than Seville imho..

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Alan McRae and his cronnies will be doing everything in their power to make sure back to back trebles don’t happen! I am surprised no-one has taken that bitter wee man to task for his disgraceful behaviour at the final in May! To be the president of the association and not applaud the winners of the trophy and to blatantly scowl at each member of celtic staff who came before him was a disgrace!

Celtic will have to be on top of their game in every match (which the haven’t been) for the remainder of the season to not allow their men in Black to influence games or make honest mistakes, as it is unthinkable that we win back to back trebles for these *!

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Disagree there.

Even though we won nothing that year, that run to a European final, with some of the teams we beat and performances we put in was one of my best experiences as a Celt. I was just wee so maybe a bit more nostalgic for me, probably wasn't as gutted as some that we hadn't won anything - but it was a special special run.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye it was special mate, managed to get to a few games including the Final..

For me though trebles are a rarity and to be alive if we create a wee bit of history will be amazing.. not sure it will be done again..

It's close but Seville ultimately ended in defeat..

JML67 likes this.
  11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    With all due respect to @JC Anton , the history books of Scottish Football have become so dangerously tainted at this point, because of poor governance from the SFA, and to an extent, the SPFL also.

The history books as they are currently being allowed to stand show that deadco won a lot of league titles and cup honours that they should not have been eligible for, that have not been redacted or even so much as an asterix appear. *, in other sports asterix's have appeared for a whole lot less than the systematic cheating and fraud that was engaged in and has been allowed to pass into the annals of Scottish Football. In baseball, Roger Maris lived the rest of his days with an asterix for having the audacity of equalling Babe Ruth's HR record for no other crime than playing in a season that was about a week longer than the year Ruth set his.

If those in charge of the game in this country cannot bring themselves to ensure their own history books are kept fairly and accurately reflect what happened, how can anyone expect those outwith of this country to view it similiarly?

Am all for us winning the treble once again and truly hope that we can go on and achieve this, but as @Tim-Time 1888 pointed out, it's unlikely to have much impact across Europe unless it can be backed up by an impressive run in a European competition. Such as a run to Seville did for the credibility of MO'N's team, far more than it did to an EBT fuelled R******, who did narrowly manage to scoop the domestic honours that year.

That all said, man would it be fun to win another treble this season though! :ynwacelti

ChrisMoh and JML67 like this.
  12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're saying mate, and I can see why it would be more meaningful to you.

For me personally, I want to see us upset the odds and compete in Europe. The tie against Inter 3 years ago had me buzzing - and I still feel if Virgil isn't sent off we win away and knock them out. If we can try to do that again on Thursday and go on to beat a genuinely quality team over two legs then this season is one of the best for me.

Back to back trebles would be phenomenal in its own right although it still doesn't top the invincible treble.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You'll have no arguments around the integrity of Scottish Football history books mate..

However, our History is unblemished. And it's Celtics achievements I'm more concerned with.

Whilst it's nice to have a glowing reputation in Europe, I care a lot more with what effects us as a club. I honestly couldn't give a * whether the rest of Europe even notice back to back trebles.

We can't reach the CL last 16 now anyway, so it's gone. Whilst back to back trebles in defo on :50:..

I honestly wouldn't swap a run to the EL final for it.. only winning the thing would make up for it.

packybhoy likes this.
  14. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Great post and made me think again. Nobody can deny we are spoiled these days. This seasons football to lasts is night and day. But we are still going in the right direction, just blown off course slightly. This is how the board is viewing it.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's the combination tho mate, another treble on top of the invincible treble is part of the reason it's so special..

I totally get Europe is a benchmark, but this is different.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed with everything up til the last sentence.

As brilliant as back-to-back trebles would be, seeing Celtic in another European final would definitely be bigger than any Scottish Cup (even one which completed back-to-back trebles).

Seville was up there as one of my most memorable seasons of following Celtic....and we won heehaw!

The League and League Cup are in the bag this season.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Only if we could be guaranteed to win it.. :56:

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye I get that but for the Club, short term/long term, making CL and getting last 16 will do more for us than winning a domestic treble. What makes this special, as we are all aware, is its never been done before however if we become regulars in the CL and making the last 16 trebles will potentially follow, whereas if we win trebles solely the last 16 of the CL isn't as likely to follow, if that makes sense. I know what I'm trying to say :giggle1:

I know that, that's why I ended by saying I so want it this season but overall in the bigger picture the CL and the last 16 is more valuable, in all ways, than either cup.

What does it mean = Prestige and far more recognition, in europe, than a treble will mean. The treble means a lot to us but elsewhere its not worth that much, in fact a lot of them expect it of us, if we are being honest. Becoming a regular CL participant and making the last 16 is therefore far more valuable. I know I have said before that the way football is heading that we shouldn't, solely, gauge our success on what we do in europe but for as long as we can we should at least try. (providing its done sensibilly).

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    So maybe aye. Maybe naw.

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

What ?