1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need to lose a game domestically now to progress?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Cringer67, Dec 7, 2017.

Discuss Do we need to lose a game domestically now to progress? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. barnsey

Utterly ridiculous idea

2. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    No.

Why look it that way? If anything the unbeaten run has firmly instilled a belief and strong will to win games and fight until the end as we've seen with the Hibs and Motherwell games this season to name a couple.

Can't believe this would be brought up as a serious suggestion on how to help improve things:56:

3. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

* no ........

4. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    I wouldnt want to lose a game but if brendan rested our big players in the league around april /may and we lost i wouldn't mind because wed clearly have an eye on getting a bit of rest in before the qualifiers.
    The pressure of the streak is the only pressure on us domestically so its good for us

5. Bunk Moreland

I don't see the difference between losing domestically and losing to Anderlecht to be honest, a loss is a loss so I can't see any benefit whatsoever from losing to Hibs, Aberdeen etc. in the league. Performance-wise this season in the league we've been inconsistent but that's been down to constant squad rotation due to participating in 3 competitions at once in my opinion, I think that now the CL and League Cup are out the way we should have a more settled 11 playing week in week out and performances will improve at least until the Europa League starts in February.

6. TheHappyLoss

losing feels *, get it to *

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  8. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Best to stay unbeaten, keeps the players on their toes. We’ve lost enough in Europe to remind us we need to up our game

9. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, of course defeat means progress! The perfect idea to improve the side, lose games to boost confidence. Why haven't more teams thought of this?

Lilac Wine likes this.
  11. oh bhoy

I'd say its the complete opposite ,the unbeaten run has added importance to every game we play .everyone we play will raise their game wanting to the first to stop it and in turn we have to be better
    Being Invincible Is far better than having a strong ,financially doped ,referee assisted ,pretending rangers didn't die sevco as we set our own incredible domestic standards

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Thats how i feel. Its not about points, its about the run. Bring them all on!!

13. Mr. Slippyfist

In the nicest possible way, you and your pals should * up.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Yes. Yes we have to lose to progress. How else can you progress if you don't lose, I mean I don't know why we didn't think of it before? :giggle1:

15. Mr. Slippyfist

:56::56::56::56:

Wonderful logic, ain't it?

Sean Daleer likes this.
  16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I can see the point, if we lose then it releases the pressure of keeping the run going and allows us to relax more and we can mix the team about more often and allow players to have a wee break every now and again as it won't matter if we lose games because there is no run to keep going.

It would likely benefit the players but you also want to keep going unbeaten for the fun of it to see how long we can manage it. When we almost lost the other week I had butterflies and was sweating desperate for an equaliser fucknos what the * on the park were like where as if we weren't on a run I probably wouldn't have gave a *.

17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't get why there's this assumption that if we rotate we'll lose? We just beat the league cup finalists 5-1 with a changed team and Brendan has made changes around European games as well and here we are still 67 unbeaten.

The fact we have utilised the squad so well shows just how far ahead it is in strength and depth compared to the rest of the league. The attitude is there from every single one of them and the competition for a place is key to that.

As much as we need a consistent 11, I think this season we could rotate even more than we do too to lift the performance level - last week a key example. The run will end at some point, it's already a phenomenal achievement so every win right now is just points for this season, nothing else. The run is a bonus at this point.

18. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Another invincible treble and a run to the last 8 or 4 in the Europa.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It doesn't mean we will just makes it a lot more likely.

De Vries
    Gamboa Ajer Bitton Miller
    Kouassi Ntcham
    Johnston Henderson Hayes
    Edouard
    We could play that team for example in the upcoming Hamilton and Partick Thistle home games and should still win while resting all our first choice players but with the unbeaten run we probably won't gamble like that and put that much pressure on an untested side, where as if we were on no run it wouldn't matter anyway the pressure would be off.

20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Where does this pressure come from though? It's not like the target is to go unbeaten for x amount of games, defeats happen that's sport. The aim is win the league and compete in Europe so squad rotation is essential. Agreed that team is a bit too many changes in one week but I'm sure they'd perform.