1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need to lose a game domestically now to progress?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Cringer67, Dec 7, 2017.

Discuss Do we need to lose a game domestically now to progress? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cringer67

Was talking about this with my mates after the Anderlecht game. I was pretty deflated after that performance and We came to the conclusion that losing a game domestically might actually benefit us in the long term. What we have achieved is incredible and, whilst I never want to see us lose, I actually think in an ironic way, this unbeaten run and “invincibles” moniker we are continuously tagged with only serves to hinder us now and acts like a monkey on our back. Maybe a defeat dometically will give the team the impetus to improve and push on rather than resting on their laurels and taking wins for granted. Thoughts?

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, I just think we need to rotate the squad and give some guys a rest. The unbeaten run should go on as long as possible, domestically.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    No.

The IRA likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

There's absolute pressure to win every domestic game and that is healthy..

We should thrive on it!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Lilac Wine and The IRA like this.
  5. Keano88

Nah.

I don't get all this worrying about the Anderlecht result. We played it like it was a second leg, knowing we just had to avoid being beaten 3-0 - similar to the games when we went over to Be'er Sheva with a 5-2 lead and Astana with a 5-0 and got beat but still advanced.

If we had to win vs Anderlecht on Tuesday then our performance would have been totally different. Our players wouldn't have played with the fear of making a costly mistake.

6. Murph-E

* no.

The IRA likes this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I agree, one look at the motherwell games shows how a rotation in players is good and can bring around a better performance.
    We have 3 strikers more than capable at domestic level to keep competition high.
    Ajer at the back, chapping at the bit. Ralston at rb, eboue etc in middle.
    More squad competition a fighting to perform better than each other to demand their place. (no, not a bigger squad)

Think thats more the way brendan and the squad approached this game. Where as fans wanted to see an end to a group stage.

Also telling how anderlecht played the game out. They were not really playing to progress. They knew it was near impossible, they just wanted a performance and a result that was a positive at the end of their campaign, where we wanted to just get through.

Callum McGregor and Taz like this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    So no, i don't think we need to see defeat to waken up and get better.
    But I see where you are coming from @Cringer67
    But we can work on that from within, as we do with most things.

9. joemc

See i thought this too but i dont think we were just looking to go through and be happy with this ,if that was the case they wouldnt have put on such a performance against bm ,and with the money involved for a win its never gonna be the case ,we were pushed back with their pressing game and as has been said ,a better striker and we would probs be out ,also we need to be happy finishing 3rd as anderlecht spend way more than ourselves and are further on as a team going by their acheivments .

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Brendan himself said this was a game he wanted to win, it was an opportunity for the players to show that they have came on under Brendan, that they now have the composure and the mindset to deal with a game of this nature, but instead of that we looked flat, devoid of ideas and lacklustre.

A good performance the other night would've also been a nice boost ahead of next week's draw, the players let down the supporters and manager, i know it's been a tough schedule with a number of games, but nevertheless this is Brendan's team a year down the line, and on the evidence of Tuesday night it's clear that money has to be spent in January.

WolfOfParkhead likes this.
  11. Pogues

I think we're all disappointed with the result and performance. But if you look at the game again, they didn't create that many chances first half despite dominating, and second half we actually played alright and probably looked the better side. Playing Armstrong and Sinclair, who IMO have both been poor this season, was a mistake as the second half proved.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  12. Sween

I think we need a domestic challenge to improve. The unbeaten record has actually been of use to give players a challenge beyond any real challenge from opposition.

Creativecelt likes this.
  13. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I want the run to go on as long as possible it keeps the domestic games interesting as there's always something at stake with every team wanting to be the ones to end the run and earn themselves a place in history, if the run ends I don't think domestic games will be as tense as the hibs game earlier in the season and motherwell last week was.

14. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Yes. And for our long-term ambitions, hopefully we lose the league too so Brendan and the Bhoys know it's not all plain sailing.

15. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If we are to lose a domestic game this season it will be in February/March with the Thursday/Sunday games

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Two Thursday's won't make much difference mate. :fear:

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

rkid likes this.
  17. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I think the key thing is that another SPL Team has to be good enough on the day to beat us,i actually think we will loose a couple in the league this season,especially how long we stay in Europe.Winning the league is always vital,but win the league and loose a couple of times in the league and have a long run after Christmas in Europe is 1000 times better than winning the league unbeaten again,goes without saying.

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Unbeaten to end of this season will make it 90 games so only the first 14 games of next season for the world record.
    That would mean us having to remain unbeaten until end of October ext season.
    Considering we will be starting our season next year on 11th July due to starting in 1st qualifying round of CL it will be remarkable if we manage it.

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    No we need a couple of signings in January to strengthen key areas.

keithyboy09 and StPauli1916 like this.
  20. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Will McInnes bring the challenge we so rightly deserve? Does Scotland need a strong Rangers? Will Batman ever find out who killed his parents? And do left handed drivers feel like they are driving in Europe every day?

These and more important questions after these ads....