1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stadium Re-Development....A Good Idea? or Not?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by hiphopaddict, Dec 5, 2017.

Discuss Stadium Re-Development....A Good Idea? or Not? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    If you consider that our current stadium as it stands was completed in the summer of 1998. That makes the completed stadium about 20 years old now. We've never even looked into improving it further since then (apart from the safe standing section).

I think it would be a good idea to start looking at a stadium extension....in the form of another tier above the old stand. A lot of people say we would not fill the park. But on a Champions League night or Old Firm game we definitely would. And with the Champions League group stages hopefully becoming an annual occurrence then this is surely going to mean more revenue. Liverpool just recently built above their old stand and had it completed in one pre-season.

Also they've not had any money to redevelop Ibrox for over 20 years now and it is really show...its looking old and * and falling apart. I want us to still have a stadium that is the envy of teams throughout Europe and to do that you need to keep improving it.

2. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I said it before. If we increase capacity we could fill it. When the changes were made in the 90s season book sales went up massively. It is not a priority at the moment though.

3. ladbroke8

Don't think another tier would work to be honest. Would always have loved that. Would mean so much work on the outside of the Celtic way.

4. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Pretty sure it wasn't just the case of closing the gap above the main stand, it was more a total redevelopment (or total rebuild) costing upwards of 30million. Wasn't that recently banded about?

5. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    The last "Old Firm" game was in 2012, we haven't had once since and won't have one again.

But regarding the main stand, I'd like to see the whole thing knocked down and built up again - a bit like what Hearts did only not *. Not only would this increase the stadium capacity, it would allow us to sort out all the internal structural limitations such as the changing rooms, narrow tunnel towards the pitch, cramped media room etc. Would be cool to have a new spectacular front facade to the stadium as well.

6. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    Celtic park at 75k capacity on a European night. It would take it on a whole new level

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. Mr. Slippyfist

Why the need to redevelop the actual stadium - which itself is one of the finest in the world?

We're spending millions redeveloping the ground around it, so any talk of redeveloping the stadium itself is totally pointless at this stage, as it's not a necessity.

What it could do with is a lick of paint on those "scaffolding" poles. Plus I've noticed that they still haven't replaced the "jock stein stand" panelling at the side of the stadium when the wind blew it off a couple of months ago. Small things like that. Oh, and I think it's about time they replace those * big screens - things have been there since 1996 (I'm sure).

Lilac Wine, Liam Scales and Pablo87 like this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The screens were replaced during November when we had no home games mate, and aye that sign not being replaced annoys me aswell. :giggle1:

Edit: they are in the process of replacing them, here’s the link to where I read it.

https://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/thats-the-old-west-stand-screen-away-celtic-stadium-manager/

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Lilac Wine and Liam Scales like this.
  9. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    The only upgrade I think we should consider is whats needed to hold a CL final. If that's at all feasable

10. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Dominoes just opened a food stall, what more do you want ?

Stoke Bhoy and Lilac Wine like this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We are improving it. The Celtic Way, the plans for the hotel and museum, the Cesar Statue etc...

I'm not sure why you think we are standing still on this?

The only thing that could be done that isn't being done is to rebuild the main stand, but having a 75k+ stadium in Scotland would not be a money maker in the short to medium term.

CH4 likes this.
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

Totally unfeesable for us to be putting an underground tunnel/secret entrance into Celtic Park.

* the 5 star rating anyway, we will be pulling in PLENTY of revenue from the entire area's redevelopment, plus the Commonwealth Games showed that CP is a fantastic venue for other events that are non-football.

Lilac Wine, Dalbeth3 and Sean Daleer like this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Redevelopment of the main stand was discussed at the AGM, and will eventually happen..

It will need total demolishing and then rebuilding..

£30m-£50m.. 5* everything..

The difficulty is on when to conduct the work, it's not feessable to complete all the work in a close season. So do we move some of our home games to Hampden or Murrayfield? Not playing at Celtic Park for this first part of the season could jeopardise CL Qualification that season.

It's something that we don't NEED to do for a bit I'd say..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. HoopyD89

I've always wanted the main stand redeveloped, we could fill it fairly regularly and the extra gate money from CL nights and season books would not be insubstantial to our club.

15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’d be quite sad to see the main stand completely demolished. So much history inside that building albeit with renovations etc.

Would prefer the facade was kept, could be left indoors of a new stand

16. HoopyD89

I'm saving for a season ticket, so it would help if there were more seats available, ill probably be waiting till we do TIAR before I get one lol

17. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Paint the metal beams around the stadium on the outside would be a start looks terrible imo

18. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Wouldn't increase capacity tbh we could barely fill the stadium at times under Strachan Lennon and Deila, not counting Mowbray as he wasn't here long, and while the stadium is usually full these days there are still empty seats dotted about for the average SPL game. However any renovations that upgrade the stadium would be great as you said its been around for years and there are still things that can be improved to improve the matchday experience.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Do it the second stage of the season then. We always do things backwards in Scotland anyway :56:

Lilac Wine and JC Anton like this.
  20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    If it was to be undertaken they could start the work March/April and we could finish the season at Hampden or Murrayfield. I'm still not convinced we really need this done but I would like us to be able to host CL/Europa finals, so I will admit vanity is swaying me on this :52:

The likes of painting parts of the ground should not be seen as development, thats simply ongoing maintenance or it should be anyway. So the steel work is well due a lick of paint imo.