1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Bayern Munich v Celtic; UCL Wed 18/10/17,1945, BT SPORT ESPN

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Oct 14, 2017.

Discuss Bayern Munich v Celtic; UCL Wed 18/10/17,1945, BT SPORT ESPN in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sentinel

3-0 was a mercy. Bayern took their foot of the gas and sent it for a massage and put some warm slippers on it. If this team wanted to destroy us, we would have been looking at 6+ no problem.

Even with the massive gulf in finances and class, which is growing every year with these 'Superteams', as I call them, one of the main reasons we are so out of our depth in these games, is the intensity we play at.

We have been very poor domestically this season; scraping by; relying on 1 bit of skill or our opponents tiring. A lot of the games we tend to keep possession in the safe areas of the pitch (I know this is a tactic to draw opponents out and create more space). I think the problem is, we have gotten used to being able to get away with that.

When we are put under pressure, panic sets in. What we need to do, in my small, useless and unwanted opinion, is play the game further up the pitch in Scotland. Kind of like Guardiola football, when we willingly put ourselves under pressure.

When you see these Superteams, they are used to the high intensity mentally and the only way we can mimic this in Scotland is to stop passing it about in a Horseshoe at the back. We need to keep the ball further up the pitch and work on our close control.

Then and only then will be able to remotely compete with these teams.

Ewang83, Orsenfelt and Skelleto like this.
  2. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Much better when the subs came on. Dembele is far better than Griffith against top opposition. Same with Forrest and Rogic for Armstrong and Roberts. Just a shame we didn't bother to sign defenders or we might not be out after 3 matches.

3. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I know what you mean....'a rare specimen' when we shot/attacked can't remember which was totally uncalled for! * letting his mask slip for about the 100th time there!! Mute was hit for good after that!!

4. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    why do we have so many pointless domestic cup competitions anyway? distraction from a proper * life, just leave it to the hungry wee ones ffs :)

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Thought Paddy was brave on the ball and there's no doubt he's a better player than Forrest, but Forrest should have started if only to help Gamboa. The defensive side of the game is lacking with Roberts and Sinclair Tbf.. I understand why BR started Roberts..

I thought McGregor would have been a better outlay to help us keep the ball up the park and link the play..

Ntcham was excellent in the 2nd half tho..

6. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Poor performance but we still had a few chances towards the end with Sinclair, Tierney, Brown etc. Just shows what we can do when we actually try and be more positive. We were no where near aggressive enough.

I know you can’t go too far with pressing against teams like Bayern but allowing them all the possession does us no favours as shown by tonight and against PSG. Then we end up punting the ball up field, they win the ball back then it is just constant wave after wave of attacks.

Hoping Brendan and the team learn from this and we put up more of a fight back in Glasgow.

7. barra7

Gutted for the team and fans but what are we ment to do against those kind of teams.
    Cut above us in every area.

8. barra7

Was great to hear the fans sing throughout tho.

bkk bhoy likes this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    In the 3 games so far, we've played 2 of the best club sides in the World, we have 3 points.

Imagine if we drew our first 3 games ..........?

This was always about gettin above Anderlecht and into the Europa.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

In the final 3rd we have zero composure at times against top level sides, we always take the shot on instead of looking for an easier pass..

11. davidhannah

deleted

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  12. dmac

Big difference at this level is the speed that these teams go from defence to attack the movement off the ball and they can hold the ball a lot of the time we are slow in the build up thats ok in the domestic league but not in C.L.. Gordon made a few good saves to keep the score respectable and we had a few chances.

13. oh bhoy

Was like watching a Ronny deila side nobody but Roberts wanted the ball in the first half,midfield was pish didn't even know Armstrong was on until about 40 min.sinclair hardly got a kick the entire game.I think we needed to be more pragmatic with the starting line up against a side like Bayern far too attacking for an away game and was that gamboa's second game this season .we can talk about how good a team Bayern are but didn't have to be brilliant tonight

14. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Broony isn't fit rushed back imo

15. tez mctic

ach bollix

16. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Defensive lapses and poor decision making cost us. Which is becoming a theme in the CL. Gordon's inexplicable pass to brown before the third goal from the corner typifies that. I though in the second half we had 3/4 really good opportunities and should have scored a goal.

Hopefully in the return leg the players know what they are up against and get into their rhythm quicker. Its taking too long for us to get up to the pace of the game. Took us over 45 mins today and took us 30 mins against Anderlecht. We need to start games a lot better because its costing us big time.

I have always thought going forward we have players good enough at the top level, defensively we are still short and that includes the midfielders, we ball watch a lot of the time and allow players to run off.

17. tez mctic

bollix

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't even think it's just the defensive shift. Roberts can beat a player but he always runs into trouble in Europe. He done it constantly against PSG as well.

Forrest is just better at keeping the ball under pressure without feeling the need to take everyone on.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    It does happen every so often ... expect the next one round about the 30k post mark ... well assuming 'they' don't show me the door before then that is :56:

Anyway am just listening to BR on radio Scotland and he sounds like a man for not turning and setting up to defend more in these games, so we all better be prepared for a few more nights like tonight mate :ynwacelti