1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dáibhí, Jul 13, 2014.

Discuss The NFL Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

I don't think there is any way for Tom Brady to make me regard him as the greatest. He just doesn't have the arm talent I look for. One of the first questions I ask myself when rating a QB is 'Can he make all the throws consistently?'. Guys like Marino and Rodgers can/could, I don't think Brady can. He can attack the middle of the field as well as anyone but his deep ball throwing is nothing special, for example. So for that reason I'll never see him as the best. Obviously he has other parts to his game that very much put him in the discussion to be the greatest ever(intelligence, longevity, competitiveness, rings etc) but he'll always just come up short of being the greatest in my opinion.

I'm not hating on the guy. I actually quite like Brady and I rate him as the second best QB in the league right now and probably top three all time. So it's not like I'm saying he's rubbish.

2. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Can't argue with that. i just wanted to know your opinion on why you didn't think he was the greatest. :50:

Markybhoy likes this.
  3. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Before the Falcons’ collapse, teams that held a lead of at least 17 points at the end of the third quarter were 133-0 all-time in the NFL playoffs.

The biggest lead the Falcons franchise had blown before Super Bowl LI was 21 points, and that came in a meaningless game against the Lions in late October of 2014. Even worse: only five franchises in history have lost a game, including in the regular season, after leading by 25 points or more at any point in the contest.

• For those who prefer visual learning, there’s this one: Atlanta’s win probability hit 99.8% with 4:54 left in the third quarter. Granted, statisticians have had a rough few months with their probability charts, but 99.8 and 28-3 should be comforting numbers for a football team any way you slice it.

4. Markybhoy

It really does have to go down as one of the biggest choke jobs in history. I know the media want to make it all about Tom Brady and how awesome he is but the Falcons blew that game. No matter how well Brady played, if the Falcons did what they should have done they'd have seen that game out. Everyone involved with that team will be having sleepless nights just now.

Overkill187 and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  5. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Yeah, a bit of conservative play calling on Atlanta's last drive would have won them the game. Run it up the gut a few times, eek out precious clock time, hand it over to the field goal unit and put the result beyond doubt. Instead they tried to be clever and aggressive with passing and it bit them on the *.

Once the Pats got to within 8 there was just an air of inevitability about them going on to win.

6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If you have any spare time, give this a watch. I know most guys in this thread will have seen loads of this stuff but it's kinda new to me. Fascinating seeing this. The speed and power of these guys and the insight to what's being said makes for excellent viewing.

PeeKay and Markybhoy like this.
  7. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Absolutely. They had Freeman on fire that night I'm sure would have scored another TD roughly 4 mins before the end who would have been my super bowl MVP.

Brady was a no show until the 3th quarter.

not taking anything away from the last 2 ne super bowl wins, but * *, first russell wilson's throw in the dying seconds with beast mode waiting in the backfield and now this.

8. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

First part is just bullshit, he wasn't great but wasn't his fault the receivers couldn't catch a thing in the first half.

Second part, David Tyree and Mario Manningham?

9. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

He was a no show and that's a fact. still it's a team game and can't fault him for that which I never did. NE's offense didn't show up for the most part of the game.

there's a difference between a hero play (manningham and Edelman lately were lucky, made big plays nonetheless) and flat out choking. but I don't expect a NE fan to get this since most of them I have come across in Europe have been fans since the dynasty started and watch just one or two games every season.

10. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

1) Something subjective like that can't be a fact
    2) He wasn't great, he probably wasn't even good, but the receivers had butterfingers and the OL were turnstiles for a lot of the first 3 quarters.

Just generalise everyone Pats fan with a couple you've met, makes sense. I've watched every Patriots game since I became a fan, which was in 2010/11. (Can't wait to be hit with the gloryhunter pish)

11. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Just look at the score sheet. it's written down in black and white the whole NE offense was absent. this is not subjective. the numbers don't lie.

Already stated I didn't blame him single-handedly, the whole team didn't show up, including Tom Brady.
    It makes sense because you come across just like them :p

the pats are an extremely well run organisation with some people involved I absolutely can't stand. Tom Brady is not incluced, in fact I don't mind him at all and to me he's a top 3 QB of all time.

Markybhoy likes this.
  12. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Giants release Victor Cruz to free agency.

Packers have released James Starks and Sam Shields.

Arizona are excepted to franchise tag Chandler Jones.

13. Markybhoy

A real shame what happened to Victor Cruz. If the Giants had OBJ, Sterling Shepard and the old Cruz as their three WR's they'd really have a good situation going on.

Chandler Jones would be a great pickup for the Dallas Cowboys. They must be hoping Arizona will let him test the FA market.

14. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Jones is good but not worth the money he'll ask for, disappears late in the season too much

15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who is the Jets QB gonna be then? Too big a step for Petty is what I'm reading. Will they likely draft one or is there a decent free agent?

I'm new to all this so excuse my ignorance :52:

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    There are a couple of not bad QB's on that list if you give them the right tools to work with, just pray yous don't blow your load on Romo unless he comes with his own medical team and back up QB. :giggle1:

Marty McFly likes this.
  19. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Darrelle Revis has been charged with 4 major felonies following an incident in Pittsburgh at the weekend. Revis was involved in an altercation with a group of individuals.

Suggestions are that this will confirm the decision by the Jets to cut Revis, following a disappointing season. Cutting Revis will cost the Jets $6 million, although this latest development may see the Jets recoup the money.

20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cornerback has been a problem position, I was reading that some thought of moving Revis to Safety, looks like he'll be moving further than that :giggle1: