1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People getting worked up about Meryl * Streep's opinion of MMA :giggle1:

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

She's just the famous vocalist of a large group of people.

The issue isn't really Meryl Streep, it's the ignorance she's displayed which is the tip of the iceberg.

Her opinion is a fairly widespread one, even still in 2017.

3. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Are the NFL up in arms about it too? She did mention 'football' also!

Whatever, for me she only mentioned MMA because it has the word 'arts' in it.....she could just as easily have said baseball or boxing.....i think the MMA community are being too sensitive.

It wasnt a compliment, i'll grant you that.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Hmm, more to it than that. It's the ignorance like Paul said. She has no idea. Kick them out and you won't really have much MMA left, something I consider to be art. Watching Damien Maia, to me his Jiu Jitsu is art. American football at times, can be art to me. It's about my opinion. Who's she to put Hollywood on this pedestal.

Then there's every lassie on Facebook sharing her speech and talking about what a hero she is. * off. She's very talented, her views are respectable and I agree with most. But what are her or her speech actually going to do? It's too late for her to stand up there and bash Trump and his voters. He's the president now.

5. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Yes it is too late now, but she was appealing to the press in particular to hold him accountable.....and i think on that she is right, and i sincerely hope they do.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Accountable for what?

7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    His actions and intentions id guess. All this * about keeping outsiders away, about banning muslims, about building a wall on the Mexican border! I think they(US establishment and maybe even his own Party) will most certainly will be making him accountable and if they find a *, they will attempt to impeach him at the first opportunity!

On Miss Streep again... the more i think about it, and the more we chat about it, its clear that MMA has arrived big time in the world of sport, (if ever there was any doubt before)and she has probably done it a favour! Its front page headlines now, not just back page!

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I'm pretty sure he's being held accountable for the things he has said, if not by all the press but by many. But he's not even in the seat yet. She talked about bullying and violence which are two things which have been rife in politics, especially American, for a long long time. Racism hasn't suddenly begun with Trump. It was just a massive Trump bash and I didn't really see he point in it because we are all aware of what he is and what he has said, but none of us know the kind of president he will be.

Anyway, back to MMA, Sorry for drifting off there.

9. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    No you right, he isnt even in yet....but more knowledgeable people than you or i are worried, which does attract my attention. Hopefully he wont do anything rash and the 4 years pass without incident. Not confident of that happening though.

MacEwan likes this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Just going out on a limb here, but I actually believe genuine world class practitioners of combat sports wether that be mma, boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, wrestling, judo etc. are more 'artful' than Hollywood actors. What creativity does it really take to recite lines written for you, under the guidance of someone telling you exactly how they want it done?

Someone like Mayweather has more artistry on his right hand than Streep has in her entire body imho.

Fair enough, people will say we shouldn't be getting wound up about what she thinks of mma and that's probably true. I would say that her views on mma are utterly irrelevant to me, I just hate the fact that every celebrity thinks so * highly of themselves that they believe the entire world needs to hear their opinion on subjects they have no understanding of. The 'I'm rich and famous, listen to me' shtick is exactly how we got into the Trump mess in the first place :giggle1:

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don't know if the NFL are up in arms, are they? I'm not a follower of American Football.

You absolutely love a 'for me...' or 'in my opinion...' :56: Look at the reality, stop trying to second guess everything.

She bashed MMA and MMA bashed back, naturally. But if you think they're being too sensitive we better get in contact with Dana and let him know the error of his ways :52:

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :giggle1:
    It's mental :rofl:

She's a rich 70 year old American white woman. She obviously looks at MMA the same way as her generation do like some sort of savagery, human bull fighting.

She probably thinks the reason people shoot up schools is because they play to much call of duty and that marijuana is as bad as heroin.

People are getting far too offended by the opinion of a pensioner :giggle1:

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Considering the main story is she's wound up the President-elect of the USA I'd say the MMA backstory was fairly tame in comparison.

It's natural. If someone was to give Celtic stick, for example, I'd be first in line to snipe back. We are defensive of the things we hold dear.

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As I said.

She's a 70 year old rich white man, you're getting far too worked up about her comments.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Am I? :56:

16. scootz

So - Mayweather v MacGregor is in the news again? Any realistic chance of it happening?

Would the UFC let him fight if they were to get a decent slice of the promotion?

Is the offer of $15 million (up front - lots more to follow) enough for Connor to allow himself to be publicly humiliated?

17. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I say 'for me' and 'imo' just to clarify it is exactly that...opinion and not fact. It is a discussion and no one knows the facts...we are all guessing what was on her mind. Either way, i think (*, im doing it again) Dana seen an opportunity to keep it going and took it, i doubt (and again)very much he is offended.

In no way would her comments about a sport ever offend me. Lets be honest, it is a brutal sport, and i know many guys who find it too brutal to enjoy. Each to their own. I have very little time for actors generally myself, to even enter that profession tells me something about a persons character....but like you i do quite like her from what i have seen her in and in interviews.

18. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Its a complete waste of time. If its boxing, Mayweather will destroy him and make a * of him, if its anything other than boxing, Conor will do the same back.....it wont happen.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Nah he was * off that a prominent figure in the media is attempting to take the public perception of Mixed Martial Arts back 20 years to when it was perceived to be a brutal cockfight.

MMA of today is full of 'artists'. Anyone that has watched the way McGregor moves, or the way Maia transitions or the way Cormier takes people down can see that clearly. World class athletes in a high pressure environment.

20. Pacific Ocean Blue

"Meryl Streep was never my friend" - Dana White

Valhalla likes this.