1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Clown, Aug 23, 2016.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    McCarthy subbed off at half time. Everton defo looking to punt.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He went off injured. How does that mean they want to punt him?

3. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Why would they want to keep him after his injury problems? He had a terrible game as well.

4. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    For the money they would want if we would ever pay that sort of dough would he really be the guy to spend it on?

5. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    That Ross Barkley boy is the most overrated player i've seen.

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    The English rate him highly. I can't see it.

I remember when everyone here was banging on about Wilshere. Don't get me wrong, he's good but as Guardiola said 'there's hundreds of Jack Wilsheres in Spain'.

freederry20 likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He actually tried too hard tonight. Zero confidence..

McCarthy and his injuries are a worry..

DaBomber and freederry20 like this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Never heard or seen that quote, but it's actually true..

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He wasn't terrible at all.

Had a decent half and was a big part of Everton's lightning start. Would still love him here.

10. Cupid Stunt

Realised there I've been getting him mixed up with McClean :56:

Anyway, he was quality against Liverpool, him going off killed Everton's pressing game and tempo. Would take him here in a heart beat.

El Dorado likes this.
  11. doctor venglos

Simple answer Yes.
    He would tick all our boxes. We could end spending a whack on someone like Mutch and later regret it.

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Or dont spend the money on either.

Think McCarthy is a good player, but I don't think he is going to offer to us what the cost to us would mean.
    A loan for the second half of the season is pointless if we arent going to be in a serious position to buy him at a actual fair price for us. And near 10million and 40k a week to get him - minimum - is far too much.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

13. Bhoys Abroad

I reckon the only likelihood for Celtic to sign McCarthy is an initial loan (eg. January) with option to buy at a later date. Should Celtic want to sign McCarthy, I think £6 million would be an affordable transfer fee. However if Everton seek the reported £15 million transfer fee, then I reckon Celtic would look for better value elsewhere.

I don't think Celtic require McCarthy to aid the Scottish Premiership title challenge. Therefore it's likely that the main reason McCarthy's signature would be sought is when considering next season's Champ League campaign. I've still to be convinced that McCarthy is the missing ingredient in central midfield. I remain impressed with the central midfield partnership potential being shown by Scott Brown and Stuart Armstrong. Therefore I would much rather Celtic postpone any planned McCarthy signing activity for now and seek to develop the Brown / Armstrong central midfield partnership during the rest of this season. Then revisit central midfield squad requirements in May.

packybhoy likes this.
  14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    James McCarthy is a level above Stuart Armstrong for me. I like Armstrong a lot and hes arguably been the most improved player this season but there are levels in football McCarthy is a few above him in my opinion.

15. Mr Diggler

I don't think there is a chance in * of getting McCarthy for anything under 12-15 million. I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that McCarthy will not be a Celtic player next month. The value just isn't there for me.

16. John1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The love of James Mc Carthy goes back to his Hamilton days & the SMSM drove us Celtic fans into a frenzy with almost daily linking him with a transfer to us .
    I think some supporters have pictured Mc Carthy progressing every year & is now one of the top midfielders in England outside the big four clubs . However James progress has more stuttered along & in fact I have watched him closely as an Internatioal player for ROI and he has been remarkably very very average .
    Hopefully if we sign him Brendan will revitalise him as he has with quite a few Celtic players, because I think it wouldn't represent value for money either fees or wages , if we just got the Mc Carthy that is playing at his current standards .

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He just bossed Arsenal.

His talent is undeniable.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Our main business needs to be done in January and Rodgers believes that as well.

Waiting till May and the summer in general has * us in the past, we shouldn't make the same mistake. Get the players in January, allow them 6 months to settle, know the style, know their teamamates, know their manager....and attack the qualifiers.

If we need to make one or two adjustments in the summer, then so be it. January window is huge for us nowadays IMO. Regardless of whether or not people believe we have 'nothing to play for' after it. The league isn't won until it is mathematically ours. No chance of us losing it, no, however we need to keep the momentum going and not allow slip ups. New players coming into the side will also help to keep the like of Brown, Armstrong etc on their toes in the middle. Same goes for new additions in any other area of the park. Complacency is our biggest enemy at the moment both on and off the park.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STRUGGLING Everton have been hit with blow after James McCarthy was ruled out until the New Year.

The midfielder will miss the upcoming clashes with Leicester, Hull and Southampton after suffering a hamstring injury.

McCarthy was forced off in the second half of the 1-0 Merseyside derby defeat against Liverpool.

Toffees boss Ronald Koeman said: “James is out with a tendon slight hamstring and that’s of course bad news because he was doing well.

“I am a little bit worried about his many kind of injuries. He will be about two or three weeks.

“It’s always difficult. He was overloaded when he came back from Ireland. I was confident with James he was on a good level of fitness.

“There was no reason to put James in or not to start with him against Liverpool. Of course I am worried about his fitness and several muscle problems but we need to wait.

“It’s a medical question to see what we can do, but want more consistency in his game time, that’s most important.”

20. chiefo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik and McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Lol,that his way of wishing Keane a happy Christmas?

He was overloaded when he came back from Ireland