1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

£PL ignorance and delusionment on Celtic and Scottish Football

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Minimalist, Nov 14, 2016.

Discuss £PL ignorance and delusionment on Celtic and Scottish Football in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Minimalist

Thought I would open up this thread after explaining media influence in the Jinky thread. Hence the "£" replacing the "E" on the English Premier League, because after all Sky Sports started Football in 1992.

A classic, from a Sunderland fan on a nightout, that Celtic are not bigger than West Ham, that our win at Home against Barcelona was a fluke. Even more outrageous was a Manchester United supporter saying nothing has ever came good out of Scotland....

Any more * you have heard over the years?

CorvoD likes this.
  2. Markybhoy

Talking to English people about Scottish football and expecting to hear positive feedback was your first mistake.

3. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

They have won the lottery, we haven't, get over it, * all we can do about it.

4. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    You find ignorance wherever you go. You also will find some sensible, knowledgeable fans. I'm English, born here, and lived here for 53 years; I hope I fall into the latter category.

Although I do find that many fans have no idea about the history of the game, and know nothing of football before they were born.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    when I worked down in London a few years back I used to get the same * from them as well. ''west-ham, Liverpool and the rest are all bigger than celtic. and my argument always came down to the same point, if you took celtic out of the SFPL and dropped them into the EPL what do you think would happen ?
    now usually they would say we would struggle and be relegated in the 1st season. but when I point out to them that celtic wouldn't be playing with the same players as the amount of wealth we would be getting would allow celtic to purchase players of the calibre of bale, Ronaldo etc.
    then when I used to explain that celtic have a massive following overseas, Ireland, Australia, north America, Canada etc they seem to get it. also I used to compare celtic to manu in terms of support, whereas Manu can claim a vast support, this is all due to marketing by the EPL and is mainly based in asia. and that support is only based on the constant exposure of the EPL on tv. put the same exposure on celtic and your market would be in north America ect. and when they bleat on about the EPL being the best league in the world I ask them, do you think if you walk into a back street bar in beijing and ask the local rice munchers who crystal palace are, you would get blank stares. ask the same about celtic, and you would get a different reaction.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Aye, 'delusionment' not being a word, for a start.

7. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Albion Rovers are bigger than West Ham!

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. Aidan O’Shea

I try to avoid talking to English people about football. They are hopelessly ignorant, and incredibly arrogant, generally speaking.

cidermaster and The IRA like this.
  9. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    This is ignorance.

Also, West Am have never won the league. Never, ever, ever. Never will, either.

10. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    I actually find some of the genuine English to be fine, it's the EPL fanboys from countries outside England that are the most loathsome.

Nasser, StPauli1916 and Random Review like this.
  11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Speaking to your average EPL fan about football outside of the Premier League is about as worthwhile as asking me for my opinion on top-flight Swedish floorball - I've never watched it, never plan on watching it, and therefore know it's absolutely *. Also the players don't have dodgy haircuts and drive Lamborghini while being completely out of touch with the average fan, so its not worthy of my time.

The reality is Celtic are huge - not as big as a Man United, Real Madrid or Barcelona - but still massive. I've watched is play against Dundee United in Bangkok and St Mirren in a small-town in India, as well as all over Europe with fans who actually 'know their history' and like us for reasons other than being sponsored by their favourite clothing brand, or our star player having some nice and shiny extra special boots.

Trying to assess where we are in terms of ability as a team is trickier. Given the budget we operate with it's fair to say the standard of our team fluctuates quite dramatically. I've not doubt the Deila team would've struggled in the Premiership, but I don't believe they would actually have been relegated. The better teams in recent years (Lennon/Strachan's last 16 teams) would've found themselves in the Europa League places, whilst O'Neill's team would've comfortably been top 4 imo, and in some cases have challenged for the title. All Imo and full of conjecture of course.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  12. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

As he forgot about sir Alex ? That's what happens when you talk to a moron

13. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    The best players in 1970's English football were Scottish.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  14. Aidan O’Shea

Irish are bad for this.

15. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

But not as bad as people who talk to themselves

16. Aidan O’Shea

Quoted the wrong post :52::giggle1:

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    And of course that is before you factor in the money we would get from being in the epl.
    Deila team would be mid table/pushing for Europa. Lennon and strachan pushing on champions league spots and oneils would have won the * thing if we had the vast extra wealth.

The fact that a team from Scotland could even be in a debate about surviving life in the epl, based on current finances just shows how good we are/bad they are.

Flip the coin to a West ham fan - do they think that if we removed the 100+ million they get from sky, that they would survive in the spl? Based solely on their local support and a 1.5million tv deal. West ham and Crystal palace etc would struggle to survive in the spl.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

ChrisMoh likes this.
  18. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

We are on TV than any other football team in the UK. That shows how big we are because people want to watch us

19. Aidan O’Shea

Is this true?

20. wulliebad

* the epl and its sky love....it will end one day.