1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Mar 2, 2016.

Discuss The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

How are they wavering on fracking...?

2. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Very confusing picture.

The results of the Euro referendum will be very interesting. I think the numbers wanting out in Scotland will be a lot higher than i used to.

3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Dont know about that just because a lot voted Tory doesn't necceserily mean they vote out, if you take the borders Tory voters a whole load will be farmers or rely on the industry, so if you take into account the subsidies from Europe then they are rather reliant on that money so will be a big issue come the time

4. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The only comments about the SNP wavering on fracking came from Dugdale who said she had heard that from her 'sources'.

Sturgeon has completely denied it.

5. Dáibhí

They've not banned it, have they? they've placed a moratorium on it until "further research is done".

I wonder who will be carrying out that research? Or helping to fund it?

Jim Ratcliffe, the chief executive and chairman of Ineos, has suggested a fracking industry could potentially be set up in Scotland within a few years, as he's been told that the Scottish Government that they "aren't against fracking".

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Really? I thought it would be a lot sooner.

7. Dáibhí

We only just had the last one a few years ago.

Again, I ask the question, if the results had been switched and the Yes side had won, would you think it fair that the No side had another referendum in a few years to see if we go back into the UK?

8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Pro indy seats....69
    Pro union seats...60.

Good to see an increase in greens. But dear * *....how can anyone in scotland vote tory is beyond me.
    Another plus though is the ruin of labour. Brought it on themselves bedding with tories. *

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If fracking is allowed then mankind as a society is basically *, we really deserve everything we get but hey aslong as i can watch Britains got talent with a takeaway then who gives a * :31:

10. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Aye, maybe, but while i used to think it was a given that Scotland would comfortably vote to remain in, reading peoples thoughts in here on various subjects and talking to people in the real world.....i get the impression that a lot of people will be reluctant to admit they see it as a referendum on immigration, and will vote accordingly.

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Aye i have to agree with you there, given people i know and work with opinion then the out vote could be a lot higher, but thats only a personal thing but i do think it will be closer than people think

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I was asking myself the same question last night/this morning however when you think about it, it's not surprising.

There is a lot of wealth around the areas that have voted tory and it was never destined to be a clean sweep for the SNP. Labour have proven to be just as snidey as the tories in recent years anyway and people probably felt that they were unlikely to put up as strong an opposition as wee fat Davie and her pals.

I'm glad to see the demise of Labour however it appears to be at the cost of letting the tories back in...which is not so good.

All in all, * them both.

13. This Charming Man

14. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Shouldn't we wait on solid scientific evidence before making a policy either way on fracking? I think the SNP have the right idea about this.

I've not made my mind up if I'm for or against it, I don't know enough about the pros and cons.

15. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They were talking about that on the TV this morning. If current polling is correct there are 1m Scots who'll vote to leave the EU, now that's still a minority of the electorate but it's a lot of people!

Barring David Coburn, I don't think there are any elected politicians in Scotland who back the Leave campaign...

16. This Charming Man

There seems to be this misplaced belief in Scotland that everyone there is of working class background and thus would vote accordingly. There's an awful lot of rich * in Scotland; let's not dress it up here, so it shouldn't be surprising that people would vote for Tory in Scotland, even if it's for a protest vote, as in the end with the way modern political parties have changed, it's not much more different than voting Labour nowadays.

17. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't see how it's a bad thing.
    Why would anyone want a one party state steam rolling any old bollocks through without opposition?

18. Dáibhí

Well, why not look at what some other high profile countries and states have done when it comes to fracking?

New York State have banned it, citing "contamination of the state’s air and water and inestimable public-health risks" as their reason.

Parts of California have banned it, prompting at least one US oil company to attempt to sue the state for lost revenue.

*, the north Texas town of Denton has banned it, and that's where the technique originated!

It's also banned in areas of Canada and other parts of the US, as well as in Germany, Bulgaria, Spain, Switzerland and other parts of Europe.

Let's be honest, it's just another way for big multinational companies to make a fortune at the expense of the rest of the population.

19. wulliebad

They can't ban it,this was explained before that if the snp banned fracking because the licence has already been granted by london the holder of the licence could go to court and the ban would just be overturned.
    Scottish government no matter who is in power can not ban fracking in scotland.

All the snp can do is place the moratorium on it and try and slow it down and stall and hope companies get * off and withdraw like we have seen in some places in england.

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    This notion that all tories are rich * is wrong, as far as I am aware/from what I have heard Annie Wells, for example, was elected in Glasgow and is a 'normal' working class woman.