1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would be your replacement for Ronny?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by _DannyBhoy_, Jan 31, 2016.

Discuss Who would be your replacement for Ronny? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikingBhoy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Bradley :50:

We have to look for managers the way we look for players. Pick people who do well in unknown places and hope they can do it here. Didn't burn ourselves too bad with Ronny either, two titles and a league cup is no disaster :smiley-laughing002:

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fair play.
    I read an article in last months magazine about him, first thing i thought was "this is perhaps the sort of guy we need" by no means a massive bame, but certainly doing well for himself and learningtthe trade well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. Murph-E

Reading about Marcelo Bielsa makes me really, really want him to get the job. Unbelievably passionate and Guardiola has called him the best manager in the world.

4. Glorious1967

Its a cert to be Lennon, no big name will touch it even with full control, the EPL is still the place moyes ect want to be unless we are the only option which is highly unlikely

5. NyköpingCelt

They're talking about Steve Evans being linked with the job on Sky Sports News.

Surely not?

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's not exactly the worst shout.

Took Crawley from the Conference National to Basically League 1(left in April that season). Then took Rotherham from League 2, to the Championship. Now he's doing a steady job at Leeds amidst a * ton of instability off the field for that club.

He's also a big tim. What makes him any worse than Roy Keane for example? He certainly has a better managerial pedigree

7. Wellsy

Evans was in the press the other day talking about how much the supporters mean to a club. He mentioned he was one of us in that statement so now everyman and his dug has put 2 + 2 together and came out with 5.

Lennon and Keane can get to * as well.

Bielsa would be * unreal but I doubt there is even a 1/1000 chance of that happening.

8. MattD

I am torn between the pragmatic and idealistic option. Sure, Ronny was the 'idealistic' option but it is wrong to neglect that option simply on the basis that one manager couldn't achieve it.

Moyes would be my pragmatic choice - sure, it's not entertaining but he would ensure organisation to a squad of players desperately lacking it. His time at Sociedad was arguably worse than his tenure at Man Utd though, but his top level experience shouldn't go amiss.

Rodgers would be my idealistic choice. Primarily this is for the reason that he is an excellent coach of youth. Youngsters at Swansea and Liverpool hold him in the highest regards, and many have prospered under his tutelage. The Youth Academy at Liverpool is reaping rewards for the reforms Rodgers made during his time there with a whole host of talented youngsters there now. Prior to Rodgers, Liverpool's academy had been all but neglected. On his past record, he did okay but not great at Liverpool (his last season dented a burgeoning reputation) but he set good foundations there and of course he did a fantastic job with Swansea City.

Anyway, I feel for a club of the Lisbon Lions and Quality Street Gang, there must be a concerted effort towards recapturing those traditions again. We must hire a manager who is deadly serious about this, and Rodgers is one of these men.

There is an importance to youth that I think others are neglecting. The club cannot simply get back to where we once were by outsmarting others in the transfer market. First, there's dwindling funds in that area so that makes it even more difficult to build a quality squad. Secondly, clubs who have struggled financially have often reinvested in youth reforms to great success (Southampton when they were in League 1 and bankrupt put all efforts towards this and now have a sustainable youth programme that develops top talent, meaning that players who leave for big money transfers can be replaced by quality graduates from the academy).

Rodgers would work wonders on lads like Tierney, but he'd be hellbent on restructuring this so we could get the best possible talent coming through our academy. But we can do so much better too - for such a prestigious history, it is shameful for an academy that once produced world class talent to be neglected for so long. We haven't had top top talent come through the ranks in years.

By recapturing our old ways and proud history of youth development, we would give ourselves a great foundation to build upon. Without it, we are desperately treading water, desperately seeking answers in a transfer market which, more often than not, fails to provide us with the answers to our problems.

In this context, and with one eye on the future, it is bewildering why anyone would want Lennon back in charge. A few great moments in Europe but he would do no better than Ronny under the current structure. And the less said about his catastrophic time at Bolton, the better. Appalling in the Championship, whereas at least Brendan Rodgers took over an equally unfancied Swansea and took them to the Premier League. As for Keane.... seriously, that's going beyond irrational considering the bloke's diabolical managerial career so far. I couldn't care less whether these lads are passionate - they are a complete no go. If we hire either of them, then it will be proof that Desmond and Lawwell are absolutely insane with no hint of intelligence about them whatsoever.

Bielsa is a pipe dream but would be my dream candidate (no harm in trying though is there?!), but we shouldn't neglect to look around Europe's powerhouses (as opposed to a smaller league like in Norway) for a hidden gem. For example, Martin Schmidt at Mainz who is yet another manager there who is outperforming expectations (his predecessors being Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel of course). I'm sure there are many many more candidates who could rebuild this club. I do warn however that Lennon and Keane are perhaps two of the worst names mentioned so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  9. NyköpingCelt

He's done well, but he'd be way down on my list. If we're going to pinch someone from the championship then I would rather it be big Mick.

10. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The fact Coyle is even anywhere near this list sends shivers down my spine. Michael O'Neill is another one... Brechin City, Shamrock Rovers and Northern Ireland? GTFO

11. MattD

Carragher is a Celtic fan is he not? I remember reading an article he wrote after retirement about how he achieved his dream of watching Celtic at Parkhead on a European night.

12. Mr Diggler

I think its going to be between Lennon and Keane if im honest. There will be near anarchy if someone like Steve Evans, Alan Stubbs or Owen Coyle gets it. I think the board will know that. Moyes, Rodgers and others like Lambert will be looking for assurances from the board money wise which I cant see us giving. The board will possibly be afraid of an unknown but talented manager after the Ronny debacle. So for me Lennon wants it has the track record and knows the players and Keane is Demonds number one choice I would say.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's really not. Don't get me wrong, I'd like us to push the boat out and get a big name but Evans is certainly not someone to be laughed at..

Just walked in and he's coming up on ssn. He just said "i'll always be a Glasgow Celtic fan, I've supported them since I was 2. Not 2 year's old, 2 seconds old" :56:

Celtic are his second team, and his son's..

14. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Let's face it we're only going to get a manager who is willing to have his signing targets and backroom staff picked for him.
    Roy Keane said the interview process was a joke and he didn't feel like the club cared one way or the other if he took the job. He also said that we had backroom staff already in place (Deila, Collins/Kennedy) and he had no option to pick his own.

Imagine Rodgers, Bielsa or Yakin being shrugged at and told John * Collins will be their assistant, take it or leave it?

It seems our club is being run in a very odd way and this more than money I feel is the reason a decent manager or six would turn us down.
    We are * if they don't change it.

15. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Top post :50:
    Also would love Rodgers. The moyes second favourite and then Lennon. None of the other names really get me excited.

16. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

I think the board already have their replacement, they know they have to act quickly as CL qualifiers are not too far away after the season ends. The new manager may already know he has the job but all depends on one thing, winning the League. The sooner we wrap the League up the sooner I think we will have an announcement.

Would Moyes or Keane take it if there was no chance of CL football, I don't think so.

If we don't win the league,(with Deila still here there is every chance) then I feel the board will be appointing another Ronny project!

17. NyköpingCelt

18. Minimalist

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

20. Minimalist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.