1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Easter 1916 Rising

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Celtic1891, Jan 18, 2016.

Discuss Easter 1916 Rising in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  2. Fatface

I don`t agree that the Poppy remembrance is a political act. Its a recognition of the sacrifice made by ordinary men and women during two ww`s. In my opinion this should never be forgotten.

As for my agreeing with one and not the other, well I will be in Dublin this Easter weekend and its going to be a brilliant celebration.

I will not however be talking * about Scottish football clubs not recognising overtly political occasions.

3. Dáibhí

Well, I think the Easter Rising commemoration remembers those "ordinary civilians" who died during a conflict with an invading, oppressive force.

In fact, it could be said that at least those killed in World War's 1 & 2 were actual soldiers with a chance.

How many civilians were murdered by British forces in 1916?

The bottom line is that both situations are political.

4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Well I think it is.

Who do you think fought in Dublin in 1916 then ?

If you think they should never be forgotten then away and remember them yourself and keep it away from Celtic Park.

So will I.

I think you will be talking * about Celtic and Ireland if anyone asks you about it as you have a long history of it on here so I don't know why you will be any different over Easter.

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Is there any plans for the GB to do something like getting t shirts printed up.
    If so mines a 3XL :icon_mrgreen:
    Get somebody like paul67 to design it.
    and have a vote on here for the best 2 or 3.
    Money raised could go to the Famine memorial appeal on the other part of the site.

6. Fatface

Who fought in Dublin ? I believe it was the Irish Volunteers and the Irish Citizens Army. Military or at least paramilitary organisations ?

If you think I am talking * about Celtic then that is fine. But Celtic is not a platform for Irish politics. Just give me one single quote from Celtic FC that suggests otherwise.

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    What are you babbling on about now ? Is Celtic a platform for British Politics ?

How were the volunteers any less ordinary people than those that fought in WW1 or 2 ?

8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    From an article

In 1896 William McKillop and John Glass were noted among a large and enthusiastic audience of Nationalists in Glasgow to celebrate St Patrick’s Day and make speeches about Home Rule and the release of Irish political prisoners. Later that year they were joined by Tom Colgan in again demanding the release of Irish political prisoners.

9. Dáibhí

Look mate, I can understand why some fans would believe that Celtic as a club should stay out of politics. I have mates who believe that, but they also believe that we shouldn't be involved with the whole Poppy situation as well.

Both instances are political. By saying that we should not involve ourselves with the Easter uprising due to it being a political issue, but that we should be involved in the poppy carry-on every year is hypocritical.

10. Fatface

Its not a platform for any politics.

No they weren`t, brave folk all.

StPauli, the issue here is that you view the poppy thing as overtly political while I do not. The fact is that most people believe they are basically remembering the dead of 2 horrendous world wars, not making a political statement. I happen to see it that way as well.

11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Everything to do with celtic in Scotland is * political, whether we want it to be or not.
    The Scottish government have seen to that as have the press and the sectarian bigots at the shitpit.
    No matter which way we turn anything done against Celtic has at it's core either a sectarian or political motive.
    This means that Celtic might as well get on with it because it won't change until either Scotland becomes a completely Catholic country or Celtic go under.

12. Fatface

Daibhi, for some reason I cannot 'quote' you.

Most people who take part in the poppy thing are not making political statements. They are respectfully remembering our war dead. I do not believe that 'in spirit' this is a political gesture.

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yes that is the issue and it is obvious we aren't going to agree. You haven't actually made any sort of sensible argument for it not being political though apart from "most people" agree with you and a few sly digs about only people with "different agendas" disagreeing with you and trying to downplay the rights of people to remember Ireland's patriot dead while being expected to honour the brit dead.

It seems in this thread you are in a minority of 1 though as usual when you start this pish so fair enough.

14. Fatface

I never once said that ''most people agree with me". Nor do I want to downplay the rights of anyone to remember Ireland`s dead. Its just not something your going to see at Celtic FC.

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Nor should you see any minutes silences or Poppies on shirts etc.

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    You told us why you want to remember the Brit war dead and said that you believed most people also saw the whole Poppy/minutes silence thing the same as if this was some sort of justification for it and meant that it wasn't a political display.

17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Considering the fact that political motives sent these people into war then in my view that makes the rememberance of people who died in a political war part of politics, whilst directly or indirectly does not change the facts. In the other hand if you don't see it that way. Well then, that is just an opinion.

18. Fatface

We are giving our personal opinions here. And IMO I believe that the poppy day is about respectful honouring war dead and that is how most people see it. I did not say that everyone agrees with that.

I also think that is why Celtic take part in it. But lets say you are right and its clearly a political celebration of British Armed Forces imperialism. Why then would Celtic take part in that, in your opinion ?

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Those involved in the World Wars were fighting for freedom not political reasons. The 1916 rising was just a bunch of latter day terrorists.

20. Fatface

Yes, fair enough. But it is about honouring the dead, many of whom had little choice but to fight, especially in WWII.