1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Easter 1916 Rising

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Celtic1891, Jan 18, 2016.

Discuss Easter 1916 Rising in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

The club will totally blank it,because they're tory *,and our support will be slaughtered for any sort of commemoration we do ourselves.

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Get the Wolfe Tones to play on the pitch in Celtic shirts, never been done before.....oh wait.

3. Celtic1891

So the consensus here is for the club to not officially commemorate it, but for the fans to do so? Normally I wouldn't mind that but it seems pretty hypocritical from the club if they don't, considering they commemorate the poppy appeal every year which is the complete antithesis to the ethos of Celtic, while ignoring the struggle of those on which the ideals of Celtic were built. They are inextricably linked.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
  4. Minimalist

I think there would be a good proportion size of the support to wish the Club to at least tribute or commemorate it. Thing is in the Boards day to day reality they are Tories and they conflict it so the chances are very slim.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I agree.

Acknowledging the poppy appeal every year and ignoring the 100th year anniversary would be a blot on our history.

Do none or do both.

6. Minimalist

Personally, I don't mind the Club representing WW1&2 its their act of supporting the British war machine on indirectly funding the British Poppy Fund which represents illegal activities in Ireland and other countries.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Plenty of Celtic players were hoodwinked into fighting an imperialist war and it's only right we commemorate them.

8. Minimalist

9. Celtic1891

It's interesting that you's both touched on the point of a normalisation process taking place within the media in Glasgow and also in Belfast to erode Irish nationalism. I moved to Ireland a few years ago and it seems to be the case in the Republic too. The media seems to fall over itself trying to distance itself from Irish Republicanism and nationalism. People seem to be buying into it too. It seems the more you castigate Irish nationalism it shows how "you've matured as a person" and anyone who supports it is a "dinosaur living in the past". There's massive attempts to stigmatise it, and by extension Celtic too. So it seems to be getting a kicking from all sides. From within Ireland itself, and from certain sections of the diaspora in Scotland trying to distance themselves from it which is prevalent in the Celtic hierarchy the "Celtic are Scottish only" brigade.

As much as I hate unionism and sevco and unionists in the north of Ireland, I respect them to a point. The Scots who moved there generations ago and caused havoc never let their identity once waver. Contrast that to 3 generations of Irish who went to Scotland and the Irish identity is slowly but surely being diluted. I'd personally consider myself Irish and when I lived in Glasgow, following Celtic was one of the few outlets I had to celebrate and express that. So it's sad to see the way in which things are going. It's weird watching Celtic slowly start to join in the jingoism of British nationalism in regards to Remembrance day while it turns its back on Ireland and the volunteers who took a stand for the betterment of it's people and for all it's sons and daughters around the world. It's a watershed moment in Ireland's history.

I think if the club fails to remember the sacrifice the volunteers made on their 100th year anniversary, then it's no longer the club I grew up supporting. It will no longer have the core ideals that, like Barcelona, separate it from other clubs and make it special. It's supposed to represent an identity, a people, a cause, a defiance in the face of adversity which transcend sport. Without this it becomes just another run of the mill Glasgow based football club and I'm beginning to find it hard to get on board with this (hence the reason I joined up here to see how others feel about it)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  10. Minimalist

I completely agree with everything you say here and I really appreciate the reflection you have presented on this forum by taking in the enviroment you are subjected too. I don't believe its a matter of the Club 'failing to remember' its more a personal choice they are making as it conflicts them, they are literally driving the ship in their direction while throwing any one off that doesn't agree with them - a plutocracy.

Our Club is beautiful, literally a Football Club that seperates us from the rest and I im with you in the same regards of it representing its identity, its simply not doing that.

Its heartbreaking, mate.

The Club should be defending Irish rebel songs and at least paying tribute to Irish volunteers.

11. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

Good post.

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Very well said there. Sadly anti Irish revisionism has been around in Irish politics and academic circles for quite some time. The 50th anniversary of the Easter rising was in no way honoured as it should have been as an example. I will say to be fair in more recent years there has been more and more people standing up and calling out the revisionists for their lies. Sure there is always a certain amount of mythology that builds up around major historical events in any countries history but the revisionists have always only been acting with an agenda that was anti Irish nationalism and to try and potray the British as not so bad really. Thankfully as you can see by how widespread and prominent the 1916 Easter rising celebrations are revisionists are losing ground although there is still a certain tendancy to not want to upset the British in many circles given the ongoing situation in the 6 counties.

13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Someone said in a post earlier that the SNP will attend a ceremony to mark the commemoration. Whilst I think that is the right thing to do and vice versa. I also find it incredible that a party with Nationalistic views would be so harsh in their support for the discrimination against fans for celebrating their views on Irish Nationalism. Totally hypocritical. You can't have it one way but not the other. As pointed out in the past are there any laws in place to prevent Muslims for expressing their cultural views in gatherings?
    And what about celebrations surrounding V.E. Day. Surely an act of violence carried out by an army against another country or people.

14. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    The SNP where invited by the same government who invited the royal family * em all

15. angusceltic67

Thread getting derailed lads, lets get it back on track.

I only discovered this song recently from the earlier 78 rebellion, but the words/meaning within, like Irelands long struggle for freedom are very appropriate for this thread.

* the begrudgers!

En-joy-!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHPH-5zMjNo[/ame]

16. Dáibhí

So, anyone heard of anything (official or unofficial) planned yet?

17. Fatface

Celtic absolutely does recognise its Irish roots, the tricolour flies above the ground, has for decades, and always will.

However the club is not a platform for political beliefs or somehow a part of Irish Nationalism and frankly I think it is absurd to suggest that Celtic should hold some sort or remembrance for 1916. That is a political act and it won`t happen.

And for those banging on about poppies, everyone - everyone that is except those with a certain type of agenda - recognise that particular remembrance as a mark of respect for those who died in the two WW`s. And some of them were Celtic players and no doubt many Celtic fans.

18. Dáibhí

So, hold on.

First you tell us that Celtic is "not a platform for political beliefs", yet on the other hand, you defend the club partaking in the political show of support for the British armed forces during poppy season?

A little bit of double standards there.

19. Fatface

Its not double standards. Nor is it a 'support' for the British Armed Forces, its a remembrance for those who gave their lives fighting, in the case of WWII, the worst kind of fascism.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :56:

This post is completely illogical. Both are acts of Remembrance and both are political. Just because you might support one and not the other that doesn't change this fact.

Yet another "keep Politics out of football "unless it's my politics post.