1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Love Izzy but he needs competition and needs rested now and again.

Charlie has had his injury problems and lacks the pace needed at European level and may have to play CB when Virgil leaves.

Kieran looked good on Sat and is an option domestically but if we want to make any impact in Europe feel it's an area we need to strengthen.

Hate right sided players at LB you wouldn't play Izzy at RB?

If we don't sign a LB in this window I reckon I'll expire.:smiley-laughing002:

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

I wouldn't play Izzy at RB because he can't play there, Janko and Ambrose can play left back, as can Fisher. I'd mainly have it between Charlie and Izzy though.

I wouldn't sign a LB just for the sake of it, if we can't find the quality to challenge or replace Izzy I wouldn't buy one. We already have back-up. I'm less concerned about Charlie's pace, a slow Charlie sitting 20 yards deeper than a quick Izzy is better defensively.

3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's good to know :50: he needs to bring it next time then.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Efe, Fisher and when Mathews was here played RB doesn't mean they were any good there. Like Efe at RB tho. Not sure about Janko did he play there with United?

I think Charlie is a better foil for Armstrong too, when he plays on the left and cuts back Charlie is there to receive the pass and is very dangerous around the box. Izzy and Armstrong seems to rarely link up.

But I agree want to sign an accomplished LB as we can develop Tierney..

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They aren't but they can offer cover in the unlikely situation we have 3 LB's injured. Janko said he can play there, on the wing or CB. Seems quite versatile even though we see him as a RB. Deila seems to like Efe at LB or at least not mind him playing there.

I don't think it's a massive priority, only if an actual viable optiob for first team comes up. Lb is a very hard position to fill, we should only be spending there on somebody like Robertson when he was at United, rather than an El Kiddouri for the sake of having another left back.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I feel it is a priority and has been for about four seasons.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fair enough, I think Izzy is good enough, going through a bad start to the season currently though. Definitely needs a kick up the *.

8. Chumbawamba

I hope we see more of KT this year, and we eventually start rotating him with Izzy. He's quick and got a good cross. He needs to bulk up though.

9. northeast67

I think some folk are to critical of izzy, on his day he's one of our best players and puts plenty effort in.
    Tierney looks good enough to be back up with mulgrew able to fill in when needed.
    But I think we still need someone who can challenge izzy every week like last years right back position.

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We badly need a left back.

Right so we have Ambrose, Fisher and Janko who can 'play' there. That's all well and good but they are back up players at right back. If they aren't good enough to start in their preferred position, it would be stupid to play them at left back.

Izzy and Mulgrew aren't good enough either and they are, or have been, proper left backs.

What's the point in having a few players who can play in a position, if they aren't good enough?

I'll be raging if we don't sign a left back in this window, as will many others.

11. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    KT looks promising for sure but he's probably not ready to be thrown into the gauntlet just yet.

How old is he? 17?

12. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why isn't he ready ? He's 18, has performed well in his couple of appearances and needs a chance eventually anyway. Why shouldn't it be now ? He'll learn loads playing with the first team.

I think Mulgrew is massively over rated on here and I'd be happy with him as first choice left back. Not bothered about Izaguirre. Happy to keep him but also wouldn't be turning down any decent offers.

The attacking positions are the priority for me to be honest.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't think folk are overly critical, in general at least. In fact if anything he has gotten an easy ride for a while.

I just think Izaguirre has always been untouchable in many people's eyes and now that he is coming under a bit of fire folk aren't too chuffed.

We need someone else to come in now, I think RD feels the same way.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This.

Used to get a free pass because 'he loves the Celtic'. Still does, from many.

The fact is, he's a liability in Europe. Even domestically he gets caught out a lot. We need someone better.

15. Elephant Stone

I think we should be giving Tierney as much game time as we reasonably can, in order to help him reach his full potential.

There's always people complaining that we don't give enough of a chance to our youth players, but when a young player comes into the team and does well nobody ever has any faith that he can keep it up. Signing a new left back and pushing Tierney further down the pecking order could be a poor move in the long run.

16. saltire78

My thoughts exactly. Players are breaking through earlier these days, that's just how it is. I'd judge him on his ability, not age. And hopefully Izzy will respond to the challenge which will work out best for them both

17. Davie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bitton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    That's the thing with Izaguirre though, he's never had a challenge. Because of that he's became complacent and took his place in the team for granted. I've always been a big fan of Izzy's but he's been in a comfort zone for years now and never pushed himself to become any better because his place in the squad is cemented. That for me is why he's never fulfilled his potental.

Hopefully your right about Tierney though and he makes Izzy fight for his place

18. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Really hope to * we keep faith with the kid and give him as much game time as possible this season. Only way he's going to improve is playing regular in this side and gaining experience in the games he plays.

Sending players out on loan just hasn't done us any favours recently and I'd rather we kept them here and gave them time playing in the team. There's a real opportunity to do this with Tierney now and we should trust him to show he's capable.

19. gerry_bhoy

No harm giving the lad a run in the league. It's a position we aren't strong in so we aren't playing youth just to be playing youth.

Need to stop overestimating the strength of this league. We should be comfortably able to bleed young players every game and still walk the league at a canter.

20. Jenksy

I said last week I thought Teirney was ready for the first team after watching him live v Raith and one of the responses was 'he's pish and will never make it", I will never understand why we write off our own youth like that, I think some folk think if you pay over 1 million euros and the guy has a fancy european name then he is automatically gonna be better than anything we can produce ourselves!, it's a weird mentality but may be because we haven't brought through many recently, I can't remember anyone coming in and making an immediate impact like Maloney and McGeady did.

I hope Teirney gets more game time would love to see what he plays like after a run of half a dozen games.