1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favourite Celtic Team

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Markybhoy, Jun 25, 2015.

Discuss Your Favourite Celtic Team in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    When did I say I like someone better because they're a better footballer?

2. Sonny7

Well its quite obvious from your post below, that you were judging your favourite players by there abilities.

3. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sorry, didn't realise I was supposed to pick my favourite Celtic XI based on people who've played for Celtic that I'd like to hang around with most.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Wanted to provide a wee bit of a rationale for my selection.

Boruc....(Gordon may surpass him as he's a better keeper) but he was quality and knew what it meant to be a Celtic player. And to be honest we've had some * keepers Packy would have been my next but he was so hesitant with cross balls...and Forster too didn't command his box for such a giant of a man,he will get there tho. The Holy Goalie for me.

Boyd first(left sided biased me:smiley-laughing002:) although right footed Boyd was * excellent at LB, I remember we played Sporting Lisbon, Bobby Robson was in charge and Tommy had a great game. Very underrated defender. Great captain and still a good ambassador for the club.

Danny McGrain...one of the few genuine world class players that have played for us. Great servant to the club.

Stubbs....Remember the first time I saw him, couldn't believe he'd signed for us, great passer and reader of the game. Everyone remembers Henriks & Brattbacks goals to stop the 10.. His last minute equaliser against the Huns was vitally important we needed to take something from that game.

Virgil...Is a class above most CBs I've seen at our club, he's so good..and although has that petulance about him, I've included him as he will play at the highest level. Future Dutch captain...if he holds out for the right move.

Tommy Burns... I love Tommy RIP:shamrock: a true gentleman who loved our club and that love will always be reciprocated..

Paul McStay....Had everything he's the most skilful player we've produced.. If he had had a little more arrogance to match his skill he would have played at the top, but his shyness and humbleness was such an endearing quality in one so blessed with skill. The centenary season was his from start to end.

Paul Lambert...Was the the complete technical midfielder his positional awareness was acute, if he had been playing, Scotland would have beaten England in that playoff in 99, he would have tracked Scholes for both his goals. He had the unfamiliar skill of knowing what he was going to do with ball before he got it, unsusal in a Scottish player.

Sutton....He is what we had been missing for years, strong, hard, good in the air, good finisher, unselfish, a winner, bit of needle, perfect foil for Henrik and teams feared him..must have been a nightmare to play against. Part of the two best partnerships in modern British football. Larsson and Shearer took the plaudits but Sutton made them better. The recent thread comparing him to Viduka? Can you imagine Viduka slotting in at CB:56:.

Brian McClair..Prolific, he was one of those players when he was one on one with a keeper you always fancied him to score..99 goals on a 145.. Part of the second best strike force I've seen. He had everything.

Henrik Larrson.....is the king of kings!:shamrock:

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Based on how much I loved them rather than ability?

Boruc
    McNamara Balde Boyd
    Aitken Wanyama
    McStay Moravcik Collins
    Larsson Van Hooijdonk

Subs: Naka, Izzy, Sammy (at times).

No width in that team and terribly unbalanced (especially down the left) ha ha. No longer in love with big Pierre either, but was at the time.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hate to nitpick such a great post but no way is Gordon a better keeper than Boruc was, he's not even as good as Forster. He's a very good keeper and we're lucky to have him but he's not in the same bracket.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Sorry mate but that's a bit too far. Fair enough if you prefer Boruc and Forster but to claim Gordon isn't near either is wrong.

On form Gordon is every bit as good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNMEELTa30[/ame]

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Some of those saves really are incredible. For me it's always very hard to pick from the three but I usually go with Forster because I just feel that little bit more confident in him not making a clanger. I think Gordon and Boruc are probably both slightly better when it comes to shot stopping and natural ability as goalkeepers.

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Boruc

Mjallby Kennedy Virgil

Agathe--------------------- Emilio
    BigVic Broony

Naka-------Lubo

Henrik

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No bother mate, everyone entitled to their opinion...

If Gordon can stay fit over the next couple of years, he'll prove it I'm sure.:50:

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Great saves in that clip, especially in Europe.:50:

12. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Forster

Ambrose Balde Mjallby

Agathe Wanyama Bitton Moravcik

Nakamura

Larsson Viduka​

Subs;

Boruc
    Valgaeren
    McNamara
    Lennon
    Berkovic

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Lots of great saves there, he's a very good keeper. I've yet to see him make any absolute wonder saves, though. He just doesn't have that * save in him. Forster and Boruc did.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Possibly, mate. I genuinely doubt it, but if he makes saves like Forster or Boruc in next year's CL campaign, I'll happily come on here and eat humble pie. Closest he's come so far (not that close) is Salzburg away if IIRC.

It won't be the first time I've had to do that! :smiley-laughing002:

15. Ruxin

.......................Boruc........................
    Hinkel........Rieper....Stubbs.........Izzy
    Naka........Lambert...Broony.....Lubo
    ..............Henrik.......Viduka.........

I started watching Celtic regularly in 1997 aged 10. Not all the most talented players I've seen but fond memories of them all.

16. Ruxin

Gordon was immense against Zagreb at home in EL Group stage. ALthough I agree he still has to bring the goods in the CL to be considered as good/better as Boruc or Forster.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'll keep it in mind.:50:

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Forster

McNamara Mjallby Rieper Izaguirre

Nakamura Ledley Lambert McGeady

Moravcik
    Larsson

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He has it in him to do that, definitely. Given time we might see some more. The fact he was playing last season after being out for what, 3 years? Kind of puts it into perspective. I often forget that.

The save away to Dundee, double save and reflex saves away to Salzburg and then St Johnstone double save all stick out in my mind.

He has a few things over Forster for me. Much more commanding keeper and more willing to come off his line, which installs more confidence in the back line. It's not just because of VVD and Denayer that we broke that least goals conceded record, after all.

Just remembered as well, that reflex save away to Inter from the free kick is surely a * save?:56: Point blank range.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Gordon is a much better organiser than FF seems to be a lot more vocal when giving out instructions.

Something that FF will surely add with exeprience.