1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 General Election Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ledleysleftfoot, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss 2015 General Election Discussion Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ledleysleftfoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song!
    In being caught up in the Referendum, I actually forgot the General Election was about a year away.

Campaigning is pretty much under way, Labour beginning their charm offensive on the Lib Dems. Conservatives flirting with UKIP, and the general propaganda which surrounds an election has began.

It's looking closer and closer to being another Hung Parliament as Conservatives are rather unpopular, but Labour still haven't done anywhere near enough to prove themselves credible on the economy.

So, assuming May 2015 comes around and that is the case, who does everyone think will be the government?

My bet would be Labour to just sneak a majority, and I mean perhaps 10 seats of a difference. And the reason for that could be UKIP and Lib Dem success and failure respectively. If UKIP can do well enough, then they are going to take some key seats from the Tories, if you also couple that projected wipeout of Lib Dems, 56 seats up for grabs, disenchanted Lib Dem voters may jump back to Labour.

Also the aspect of Scottish Independence may have an impact. Assuming we vote for Independence, that could potentially be 59 seats off the map. ( That is if the referendum result will change the make up of the 2015 election )

2. Ledleysleftfoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song!
    I think the White Paper stated that Scottish MP's would still stand for election in 2015, someone please correct me if wrong!

3. Sween

Like you I think Labour will win, but I think it will be very close. Due to the nature of politics over the last few years, I don't expect many regions to swing between Labour and Tory. I think there is a lot of hatred for the benefit cuts, but an awful lot of support as well, and this will probably be reflected in the voting. I cannot see Tory losing many areas in London and the South East, but I cannot see Labour losing regions elsewhere.

I also agree as regards Lib Dems getting a kicking and I think most of these votes will likely go to Labour than Tory. I also think that UKIP will continue to grow and will eat into Tory votes more than Labour. But I really think people on here may overlook how popular a lot of the Tory reforms have been and the people most vocal in objection to their policies were never going to vote for them anyway. If the economy is still on the up by the time of the election, I think it will be very tight.

4. Markybhoy

My gut feeling is that the Tories will get back in. I just don't feel Ed Miliband has shown himself to be credible Prime Minister material and Labour as a whole haven't done anything to suggest they're ready for government again. Labour in fact have basically supported every cut the Tories have made so I'm not sure what they're offering voters that's going to make it worth their while kicking the Tories out? Oh yeah that's right, Labour want to make the same cuts but do it more slowly. Aw well, that's alright then. :rolleyes:

I think the Liberal Democrats will get crushed in the next election, which will serve them right for propping up a * Tory government. A lot of those votes could go to Labour but a number will also go to the Tories and some could go to lesser parties as well.

It should be a close run thing but when the dust clears I think the Tories will be in again. Which makes it all the more important for Scotland to vote Yes this September!

5. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Tory-UKIP coalition.

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I hope Labour wins but I think the Conservatives will.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  7. Sween

I think the exact opposite!

8. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

Won't be voting, none of them are worthy to have my vote

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's correct.
    Technically they are still UK MP's so are entitled to stand for election in the 2015 General Election.
    I think, if there is a YES vote in the Referendum, this will affect how the parties act towards us when trying to gain our votes for the General Election.

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Is that what you think will happen or what you hope will happen ?

11. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Haha think. I'm hoping the result won't affect us either way as we'll be a separate country :50:

12. Sween

A coalition would be interesting as the Lib Dems are beyond useless and I doubt they will even be significant enough to make up a coalition. But if they are they are going to be in government again by virtue of failing to compete with Labour and Tory on their own. A UKIP coalition would be awful, and would only work with the Tories, but I think their numbers seem to be growing to such an extent that it could actually happen. A Tory/UKIP coalition or a Labour/Lib Dem coalition choice sounds about as terrible an option as you can possible have in an election!

13. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    I reckon it will be another hung parliament.

There is widespread dissatisfaction amongst voters with regards to the Conservatives. However I do not believe the Labour party have proven themselves capable enough for governance again. Certainly, all they have done is agree that cuts are necessary, therefore many voters may feel that they may aswell keep the current government - 'better the devil you know' and all that jazz. I still feel there is alot of resentment towards them regarding their poor fiscal record in office aswell, not to mention Milliband does not look like a capable leader.

The Liberal Democrats I expect to lose many seats, they have proven to be nothing more than passengers in this government. For all the promise of Clegg, he has done nothing of note and has looked weak.

Bizarre times for Britain within the next 6 years, it has been for the past 4 anyway.

14. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    whoever aligns themselves with Patrick Harvie has my vote :celt_2:

15. Celticbhoy17

If its a no vote in the referendum I'll be voting SNP. If it's a yes I won't be voting and I'll be voting Green for the Scottish parliament.

I think the fact that it's a choice of the worst of two evils everytime in the UK elections shows how badly a change is needed for the political landscape. Blue Tories and Red Tories will be the only two major parties for the forseeable future and therefore a YES vote is absolutely vital.

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it would be best if Labour won the General Election in 2015.
    This is because if there is a YES vote in 2014, by the time the 2015 election comes round the Scottish / Westminster negotiations will be in full swing and Westminster based Labour maybe won't want to rock the boat too badly for the Scottish based Labour MPs especially if the Westminster based Labour MPs are still deciding whether to move to Scotland to take a Seat in the Scottish Government.

17. Sween

The issue labour has is that to get to power they have to reflect public sentiment and the middleground of public sentiment has moved to the right in recent years when it comes to issues like welfare and immigration. If the Tories move too far right then it allows labour to move left but until the Tories do that (and they will eventually) labour would be crazy to shift left. That annoys a lot of the traditional left but it is the only way labour can hope to get into power.

18. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Tories will get back in.

19. Markybhoy

That might be true of the UK as a whole but it is not true of Scotland. We are not nearly as xenophobic about immigration as the South East of England and we have a rather different outlook on welfare too.

As has already been stated, this is why it is imperative that we vote Yes in September. We need to free ourselves of these right wing ideals and policies as they do not fit with the mindset of the Scottish people.

20. Ledleysleftfoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song!
    I have to say mate, I think some parts of Scotland aren't anywhere near as left-wing as we like to think. There is a lot of Xenophobia exists in Scotland with regards immigration and welfare state. Don't get me wrong, you're right to say that it's probably not as bad as part of England, but it definitely does exist.