1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic chat opinions?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Sep 25, 2013.

Discuss Celtic chat opinions? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    As someone who may be regarded as one of those you may be referring to, i can say that i do get put off sometimes.
    I dont feel intimidated as such, but i do find it tiring.Having said that, with
    some of the stuff i become embroiled in, it goes with the territory.

I do think a few threads have died because people are afraid to disagree with the perceived consensus of opinion.
    e.g.The Israel/Palestinian thread has died because no one dare disagree with the pro Palestinian lobby in here.There was a time it may have been debated to a point, but not now.
    The Scottish Independence thread is another.I myself lob a spanner in now and then, but it is basically a dead parrot thread as everyone involved is just preaching to the converted!There is no debate........and when a hint of one arises, it is as you like you say, aggressive and dismissive posts, leading to mockery in varying degrees.

On other subjects, there is definitely a perceived attitude about certain posters for not towing the party line."Well technically you are a Celtic fan, but we dont really want you here as you dont support the IRA, or condemn everything we do....and...and...and....and!!"
    I more than most have been on the receiving end of various stuff for my opinions......and i definitely see the mob mentality in action occasionally.

Personally, it doesnt put me off saying what i have to say, but i do get bored repeating myself or having to trawl through a thread dealing with the gang, to then reply..........so sometimes i will make multiple replies, and just not go back in the thread again, as i know what to expect and have grown tired of it.

All that said, i like many of those i have had run-ins with in the past......but some will always see me as an outsider of sorts for their own reasons.I have no problem with that, but i do get the impression that most of them are those who generally live their life in a cocoon of like minded people, and will never be able to accept those who dont fit in it.....either in here or in life!

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

We disagree politically about most things, but I feel I can have a proper discussion with you and we both know there are people on both sides of the political divide with whom that is very difficult. What you are describing above happens to us on our side of the political divide too. We also get people ignoring our arguments, ad hominum attacks on us, nasty insinuations about the alleged sexual deviance of a certain prophet, annoying statements like "politics has no place in football" repeated over and over with no attempt to back them up etc etc etc. You paint a picture of one clique skewing all argument in a particular direction when in fact that's not true at all.

I'm not on H&P but I could hazard a guess as to why certain threads like the Palestine one are dead: you are the first sensitive, intelligent, non-biased person I have ever talked to who has actually looked into the situation and yet holds your views on Paleestine (so much so that I was genuinely surprised to learn of your view on the matter on reading your post above). Now that's not to say you're wrong, far from it; but if you are the only intelligent, thoughtful poster making that argument in the thread, it doesn't surprise me one bit and I don't see that as evidence that people who support Israel are too intimidated to post their opinions.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  3. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The biggest problem on CC is overreaction. A lot of people either overrate our players or talk about how Lennon/player x/the board are embarrassing and killing the club. It's an odd mix. The pub and politics section are getting a bit better I think. I feel pretty comfortable starting a thread with a question there if I'm curious about something and people usually have really good insights. I disagree with a lot of people and get along... oddly it's the people who have similar views to myself with whom I usually get in arguments.

4. Seosamh Máirtín

I think a significant number of bad posts are brought on by terrible OPs. Some of the posters on here are incredibly lazy when setting up a thread. It's * before it even gets going.

5. Woody

Thats actually ao true :smiley-laughing002:

6. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't want to derail the thread RR but it is beyond reasonable doubt that a certain Prophet was a sexual deviant.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Who was the prophet? I've not stumbled across this particular hornets nest before.

8. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Muhammad

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Cool.

Random Review is bang on the money their though

10. Samaras13

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    :rolleyes:
    Keeping in mind he was around thousands of years ago when standards were obviously different

11. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye... It was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Those sort of marriages and 'relationships' are still commonplace in the Islamic world too

12. Samaras13

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    Was it wrong then though? Was there laws against it? Did people look down on it back then?

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Can we please keep this on topic and not get it shut?

14. Armagh-Bhoy

True or not, what has that got to do with anything in H&P or Palestine?

15. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nothing, I was just picking up on something in his post.

Yip

16. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    Don't lie. Coming out with * like that is always going to have a reaction.

Tempted myself bit it's you after all.

17. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :smiley-laughing002:

18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
  19. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    I am absolutely disgusted at the tags on this thread mentioning the Prophet Muhammed (ʿalayhi s-salām). I'm logging off now.

Reveal yourselves.

20. Dáibhí

"Big Muhammed knew" :56: