1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hip-Hop and Rap is at its best right now.

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by JrOhara2, Jan 29, 2011.

Discuss Hip-Hop and Rap is at its best right now. in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JrOhara2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broon, Ledley, Kayal, Big Jos, Hooper, Murphy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Let the people sing
    I think Pac is a great artist, but thats my opinion.

I feel like Jay is not the best anymore, but still offers so much to the game and thats what i meant when i likened him with giggs.

I cant really answer that question, because obvs I grew up listening to him, but I feel like Recovery proved he was crazy with his lyrics, while relapse i was kinda like "who the * is this"
    I grew up listening to him and thats possibly why i feel that way, but who knows:rolleyes:

2. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My list:

1.Biggie - Biggie was in a world of his own when it came to flow and technical ability. His storytelling was on another level to anyone else and on either of his albums I would find it very difficult to pick out a poor song, let alone a bad one. For me was the greatest rapper of all time, and with the sort of records that are coming out at the minute, I can't see that changing anytime soon.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58n24Kc3z28[/YOUTUBE]
    2. Nas - Illmatic is the greatest Hip Hop album of all time, and in my opinion the only album from the genre that can legitimately be talked of amongst the very best of all time. On the back of Illmatic alone, Nas could be in this position on the list, but he has other great albums like It Was Written and The Lost Tapes, Nas is the only rapper in my opinion that can challenge Big in terms of lyrical ability.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_srvHOu75vM[/YOUTUBE]
    3. Big-L - Up there with the very best in terms of delivery and with his witty lyrics, he is one of the most quotable rappers of all time with lines like 'I'm far from broke, got enough bread/ and mad hoes, ask beavis, i get nothing but head'. Never gained the commercial success that he deserved and like Biggie and Tupac before him was tragically murdered before he was due to sign with Rocafella.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwff61MTOUo[/YOUTUBE]
    4. Jay-Z - His recent output has not been up to the standard set earlier in his career (although American Gangster was excellent) but albums like Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint and to a lesser extent The Black Album are right up there. Jay has one of the greatest flows of all time, and can turn his hand to almost any beat.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDYe1ncQzj8[/YOUTUBE]
    5. Eminem - The top 4 I stand by, but Eminem was a bit of a toss up between a few, and the reason I went for Em was his influence on music as a whole, I'd expect that he was most of our first experience of rap music, and the way he has brought Hip Hop to the mainstream. On top of that he is a phenomenal lyricist, and to be honest if he'd been shot after The Marshall Mathers LP dropped people would be talking about him in the same breath as the very very best.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-kl-sdJDZI[/YOUTUBE]

3. smithy18

what about N.W.A the creators of mainstream gangsta rap

4. CelticCiaran

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQjYPWDcmg&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=MLGxdCwVVULXcaXGsaxOwKsk4ozBLwsbdw[/YOUTUBE]

Lupe Fiasco singles out what is great about Rap at the moment

BoB's album has really give me faith that Hip-Hop and Rap can bounce back from all the mainstream *.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  5. monthehoops1888

I like all the older groups like Run DMC,The Beastie Boys,Digable Planets,Arrested development,De La Sol,Grandmaster Flash,Cypress Hill,The Roots,(Easy E Dr Dre Snoop Dogg Eminem) <--- their older stuff...All the new stuff out now isnt original and to be honest rap and hip-hop isnt as good as it was back then its much worse..

6. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

As much as i like the guy i think Big L gets rated so highly partly because he's dead.I like Jay-z but don't really relate to much he raps about,always going on about how rich he is etc.

7. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    I know how old this song is but as I said, although Eminem has produced some fantastic music lately, I really don't think he's matched his old stuff.

This is the Eminem I miss:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2wA0Te0wM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011
  8. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4W8wOwYuo&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]
    This is my favourite song from the 8mile soundtrack.That whole period Eminem had in 2002 with 8mile and the Eminem Show was just amazing.

9. Matten08

anybody looking forward to Wiz Khalifa's album?

10. Raz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough!
    Rolling Papers?

Can't wait!

11. Matten08

Yeah!

It's out on March 29th if you don't know :icon_mrgreen: gay album name tbh

12. nfg3001

Best era for hip hop? aye right it is my bollocks. Turn of this century was the best. These days everyone has gone 'gangsta' and it all sounds the same, ridiculous.

13. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Kid cudi and Kanye West push the boundarys further than in the Hip Hop. Huge fans of the both of them especailly Kid Cudi!! So badly want to see him live!

[YOUTUBE]w66HQCrzGU[/YOUTUBE]

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :bbpd:

is that cos tupacs premiership and the rest championship?

15. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    I don't think Tupac touches any of the rappers I mentioned on a lyrical level, he only started selling a lot of records when he went to jail and his persona in the media really helped make him a star.

For me, none of Tupac's albums are great all the way through, although they may have great songs, he has a lot of poor material on his mostly rushed albums. Where Biggie released two perfect albums, Pac has dozens, mostly which are not particularly good. There aren't any of Tupac's albums in the top ten rap albums ever as far as I'm concerned. Me Against The World is good, but it doesn't touch the very very best.

16. Matten08

2pac is the most overrated rapper ever imo

17. Pearse Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley and Let The People Sing
    ah lil wayne?? people have the nerve to say wayne the best rapper alive when hes terrible and annoying

at least 2pacs good, knowones saying he is the best lyricists but he makes up for that in terms of passions and work rate. He droped so many classics in a short space of time and deserves a lot of credit for touching so many people

Yes many say pac was the best RAPPER ever but eminem is more over rated imo as many make him out to be the greatest lyricist, and im nearly sure a high majority of the people that label em the GOAT probably havent listened to a Rakim or Kool G Rap album, never mind listenedto the likes of GZA, Big Pun, AZ, Pharoahe Monch, Killah Preist, Percee P, etc
    Plus Eminem has released nothing but pish since the eminem show, i love his early material tho and lyrically he was good but not as good as people make out

18. Les.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuJHLMuFDPM[/youtube]

* me emimens an angry guy haha

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011
  19. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Forgive me for hating on KRS -One the other day,been listening to him alot and yeah,he deserves the credit he gets.:50:
    Agree with Pearse about 2pac and Em.

20. Matten08

I Love Eminem but i don't think he is the best lyricist. But who is these days? I have listened to some 2pac albums and i just him boring. His best hit songs are his only good ones imo