1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Conor1994

I am surprised that no one has started a thread on Ireland yet, cos I know there's a lot of fans here. As it seems people want to discuss the topic further after the Ireland/Norway match, I thought I would start one. This would be a good place to talk about Trap's team selection, how Irish players are playing at club level, our progress in the Euros and possible call-ups.
    The issue on my mind is why players like Green and Kilbane are playing ahead of the likes of Coleman and Wilson. And what about Stokes? No one can seriously think that Caleb Folan is better than Stokes, apart from Trap. Who also seems to be the only man in Ireland who rates Paul Green.
    So, yeah, please post your opinions about this stuff.

2. No7forever

Top Irish Fans!

There are some very funny and top Irish fans on the latest Des McLean Streetcast podcast talking about what they would give up for Celtic - a mate of mine told me about it - it's on I-Tunes.
    McLean is at the last Old Firm game talking to the fans, makes a good listen, have you heard it...

3. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I like having an experienced manager like trap in charge but like you pointed out some of his selections are baffling.
    Coleman deserved a run out v norway.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
  4. Conor1994

No, I haven't mate. Cheers for letting me know though, sounds like a laugh.

5. Keane7

Stokes needs to get capped.

6. Conor1994

Another baffling non-selection is Delap. Trap has always said that our limited ability consigns us to playing unsophisticated football and a long ball. And yet, one of the most effective anti-footballers in the world, Rory Delap, who is the most important player for Stoke, is ignored because Trap is too snobbish. If we're gonna play boring football we might as well play it well. So many of Stoke's goals this season have come from a Delap throw-in.

7. Conor1994

Also, Stoke's pecking order for Irish midfielders goes: Delap, Wilson, Whelan. For Ireland, the order is reversed, despite Whelan never getting a game and Delap always doing so.

8. Conor1994

He has been capped, but not since he was 19. He definitely should be in the squad, but Trap can be a stubborn * sometimes.

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think while overall Trap did a good job during our World Cup Qualifying campiagn he just seems overly cautious and defensive at times and it has been to our cost particuarly in the current European Championships. The fact that arguably our best 2 players Shay Given and Robbie Keane are not playing reguarly at the club level is hurting us as well. We really need that to change in January if we are to do well when the qualifiers get back underway next spring. Hopefully with one or both coming to Celtic!

10. Col

I defended Trap during the World Cup qualifying campaign but I have to say I'm really beginning to question his selection policy at the moment as our best prospecs and players are being overlooked, I understand continuity is important, but in nothing friendly games it is the time to blood these new lads to assess were they may fit in, we've got some really decent lads coming through

As mentioned our best players can't get a game yet are pretty much guaranteed a game, I'd play Shay if he's fit as he never lets us down but Robbie Keanes last few games have left alot to be desired.

Then playing Kilbane for me is a joke, get Greg Cunningham in and allow him to develop, he's the natural replacement, fair enough he looked a bit ropey against Norway but with games under his belt he'll do well. And the Coleman thing has got my back up alot, he was paraded in the media before the Norway game and didn't get a kick of the ball, for me thats a bad move as his club form has been excellent.

Midfield for us is another joke I can't for the life of me work out why for 1 Damien Duff starts, he is awful and he's lost his one weapon which is his speed, now he tries to go by a player and just falls down, Paul Green - shouldn't be in the team let the squad, I'd go with McGeady - Whelan - Fahey/Andrews - Lawrence/Hunt, we've also got good prospects like Treacey as well that can slot in as well as Gibson etc..

Up-front we need to give look at trying alternatives and get in Long, Walters when we can, Keanes not playing at club level and to be honest looked * in his last game for us, Doyle IMO is our unsung hero the work he does is excellent.

We'll have to settle for this style of play for a while as I def believe Marco Tardelli will get the job once Trap calls it a day.

11. TyroneBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddys your daddy McCourt
    Adam Rooney and Conor Sammon are worth a punt in the next set of frinedlys next year if they keep up there good club form.Yeates of sheffield could get called up as should Ward.

12. Col

Sammon looked alrite against the huns on Sunday, think he's only 21 or 22 as well. Rooney looked promising at Stoke havn't saw enough of him at Callie to make judgement really, Yeates def worth a shout imo is it Jamie Ward your referring to there, he's played u21's for the North so I doubt he'll do a Gibson.

13. TyroneBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddys your daddy McCourt
    Naw its Stephen Ward of wolves who has started almost every game this season.He is better than Kilbane and would do well at LB untill cunningham is ready.Also Noel Hunt has been banging them in for Reading since his return from injury.

14. celtic20

This thread will be a good 1. I'm Scottish but I always look out for Ireland's results (even though Spain is the country I support the most). Ireland should give Sammon a call up because he is in form and has really come on to a game this season.

Perhaps a future Celtic player in 2 years or so if he keeps up his form?

15. Conor1994

Given

Foley - Dunne - Clark - O'Shea

Coleman - Fahey - McCarthy - McGeady

Walters - Doyle

Squad: Westwood, Cunningham, Treacy, MacGuire, St. Ledger, Duff, Lawrence, Gibson, Stokes, Long, Wilson, Delap, Keane, Gibson, Meyler, Ward, Harte.

This would be my Irish team. Dunne/Clark partnership would be rock-solid considering they play together at club level. Stokes would probably be fourth or maybe third striker in the pecking order, ahead of Keane and perhaps Long. If Keane gets a game and moves away from Spurs then he should be in the team too. It would be good to see Delap/Harte getting call-ups aswell.
    I'd be interested to see everyone else's opinion on that team, and their ideal starting line-ups too.

16. Conor1994

Coleman just been subbed off from Everton/ Sunderland game. Listening to radio, sounds like he played alright.

17. Col

Stokes for me would like up really well with Doyler IMO, I'd love to see them pair have a shot together, Keanes for me has to get a move in Jan and play regulary as it'll be hard to justify his inclusion if he's warming the bench at Spurs with the players behind him doing well just now. I don't think Westwood is ready to come in and take Shay's place yet as I've said before Shay never lets us down.

My team would be

Given

O'Shea - Dunne - St Ledger - Cunningham

Coleman - Fahey - McCarthy - McGeady

Doyle - Keane

I'd like to say Whelan in my first 11 but he's not been a regular fixture for Stoke, the remainder of my squad would be, prob some I've left out their but that would be the jist of it.

Westwood, Foley, Treacy, MacGuire, Clarke, Duff, Lawrence, Gibson, Stokes, Long, Wilson, Gibson, Ward, Brady, Andy Reid, Best, S.Hunt, N.Hunt.

18. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Given

coleman dunne o'shea cunningham

lawerance gibson/fahey whelan/andrews mcgeady

Long/Stokes Doyle

Play keane if he ever gets back to playing regularly again.
    Colemans done enough for everton to deserve a start, plus id rather have o, shea as a CB than a RB afterall its his 'natural' position, and hes got experience.
    As for midfield aslong as greens nowhere near it im happy.

19. Conor1994

No McCarthy?

20. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Spot on the bench