1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by holy pope, Oct 28, 2010.

Discuss John Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dmccourt95

Ive seen a part of that computer database, a teacher in my school is part of the youth academy at Celtic and showed us it, looks exactly like Football manager shortlist :56:

2. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt, Paddy Roberts, Sammy, Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    He's done a great job for sure, but is it really all down to him? I've read elsewhere that others are heavily involved too.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    There are others involved, Neil Lennon was heavily involved at first as well. However it was John Park that came in and had free reign to set up the scouting as he seen fit. His team in there and his methods.

Which is working brilliantly, works very closely with the likes of John Kennedy, Stevie Frail and Chris McCart.

There are others there, carrying it out but it is down to John Park the way it has been working and the way we go about our scouting business.

There is no coincidence that Hibs have went right downhill in the scouting regards ever since he left.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

I think it has to be said also that John Park was heavily involved with Neil Lennon's moulding as a Celtic manager when he first took over the reigns as interim manager :50:

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think the best thing for this Celtic team is that Lenny and John Park worked very closely with each other both when Lenny was first team coach and after that when he was involved with the reserves. Lenny trusts John Park 100%; something that neither Gordon Strachan or Tony Mowbray did.

Preferring to use their own footballing knowledge to sign players instead of trusting a fantastic set up that we did have in place. The trust the Lenny ha in John Park has served us very well.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

I disagree with that mate - Gordon Strachan obviously did trust Lennon's character as well as his influence to bring him back to the club in a non-playing capacity in the first place (Thanks Gordo :50:) - it was Mowbray who attempted to make Lennon an outcast at Celtic - to the point where he wasn't even allowed to travel on the coach with the rest of the players and staff to matches :38:

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I was meaning the trust the Neil Lennon has in John Park; neither Gordon Strachan or Mowbray had that trust in him.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Gary Parker is great too, we're lucky to have both Park and Parker at the Club, its probably based on those two's opinions that we have signed a lot of the players we have like Wanyama, Kayal, Ambrose, Izaguirre. The both of them have a great eye for a player and Lennon seems to trust their opinions before deciding who to bring in. They also have a big say in what young players Lennon brings in to the team from the youth team like Parker is a big fan of McGeouch and Twardzik.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Gary Parker was a highly rated scout, you can tell that he has an excellent relationship with the players as well but I can't say anything because I am unsure of his role in the team.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Get ye now :50:

11. Mr. Slippyfist

I'd say Parker is the link in the backroom staff between first team and youth i.e. works closely with the first team and staff and also watches the young team to see who will come through next.

It must also be noted that we have a fantastic youth set up as well under Chris McCart's wathcful eye.

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think he is the number 2 who Lennon values the most, I think he has a big say in team selections and new signings and on working on aspects of players games and tactics. I dont think he has a strong a character to be a manager himself but a very intelligent football guy important behind the secenes like Steve Clark, Brendan Rodgers or Villas Boas were before at their Clubs before becoming managers I imagine.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think it would be more like this :50:

That's Johan Mjallby's role, he is most definitely number 2.

14. Mr. Slippyfist

Mjallby is number 2 most definitely.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye hes the assistant but there no doubt at all that Parker is the main man, if one had to go it would be Mjallby every single time.

16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Seems to be a vital part to the green machine at the moment.

whats his backround, as in was he elsewhere before us or Celtic true and true??

Have to say I know little about him:52:

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    What do you base that on? I don't get that at all....

18. Mr. Slippyfist

I suppose you might have a point - seeing as Mjallby is always going to be the first one who will leave to go into management.

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Quick google sorted my question folks ha. good article here

Previous to his time at Celtic, Park worked as the Head of Youth Developement at Hibernian. During this spell, Hibs went through a successful era regarding their youth policy. Many players promoted through their youth ranks or young players brought in to Hibs from elsewhere at the time of Park’s employment in this role went on to have significant success in the Scotland national team. The most prominent group of players in this group were Steven Fletcher (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Wigan), Steven Whittaker (Norwich), Kevin Thomson (Middlesbrough). Scott Brown (Celtic) and Gary O’Connor (Hibs, formerly Lokomotiv Moscow and Birmingham). Park was also part of the Motherwell youth setup that brought through James McFadden and Lee McCulloch. In total, these players have amassed 208 international caps between them.
    In 2007 Celtic signed John Park and appointed him as their Football Development Manager. His job in this role would be to re-structure the youth system and to seek talent to improve the overall quality of the squad. The failure of Tony Mowbray’s time at Celtic, particularly the utter failure of numerous big money transfers, forced them to re-think their strategy. The costliest of these being Jos Hoiveld, Marc Antoine Fortune and Danny Fox, along with the expensive and seemingly dead-end loans of Robbie Keane and Diomansy Kamara, both who were on wages beyond Celtic’s living expenses. The only two signings from the Mowbray era to be of relative success later at Celtic were two of the lesser known talents brought in – Thomas Rogne and Ki Sung Yeung – something that would become more common for Celtic.

full article here

http://www.footandball.net/john-park-the-man-behind-the-curtain/3853/

20. Mr. Slippyfist

He was head of football operations (I think) at Hibs before us - helped bring through the likes of Scott Brown, Riordan etc.

He is also *ahem* a bluenose :fear: